Clearing of Adaptation

hahahahah les, thats a good one. incidently, my car stalls every morning every single time, when after i back out in R, i switch to D, and it dies. Simple way of overcoming it is to give it a little rev during the R to D switchpoint, but something's definitely wrong here. I dont think it's any better than your 17 year old car.

Anyway the 328 is really one of the last pure ferraris around, and you're lucky to get a good condition one (although the best condition one you were eyeing not for sale. hahahah) clunky but direct gearchange, NO power steering, almost lying down sitting position. Good thing the aircon can be cold. I really love driving the 328, and whacking the shit out of it too. hahah. You think your car is still trackable? Is it still on it's first set of shocks?

OK a 10 point summary of what we've discussed?

1. Our cars run on a function of air, fuel, ignition (amongst other factors).

2. Due to differing conditions, based on climate, territority, fuel available, and mods, our ECU has the ability to change certain attributes listed in (1) to run efficiently.

3. There are 2 types of changes, short term (instantaneous reaction), or long term (fixed changes over time, that skews the graph en bloc).

4. Thus when we mod bastards tinker with the car, the Long Term aspect of the ECU doesnt adapt to the mod (since it's bloody long term) that quickly, and our mods are not optimised.

5. Clearing of adaptation is done by our usual BMW scantools. PML, Juzz, Riverview, BVO, amongst others have such diagnostic tools. It basically clears everything the car has been adapting to, so it's like fresh from the factory. Pretty much like pressing the HARD RESET button on your palm pilot.

6.Thus the question is: When we mod, To clear, or not to clear?

7. One argument is: No worries, it'll slowly adapt to the mod sooner or later. The other argument is: Starting from scratch seems like a purer method.

8. Eg, If you're on +10% adaptation, and you mod an air filter to increase airflow. You know you should reach +11%, resetting to 0% then creep back to 11% seems like a waste of time. But if you're at 10%, and your mod requires it to go -10%, then resetting it to 0 will help it go to the destination faster.

9. But it's a moot point since not many people have a scantool to tell them their current adaptation anyway, plus clearing adaptation is nothing wrong.

10. So, in a nutshell, if you dont have the proper tools, or are unsure how a particular mod will affect your Long Term adaptation, just clear the farker and let the ECU do it's job.

I hope you are not referring to your Q'port are you?

OT but I drove it for the first time yesterday. Love the engine, not sure about the gearbox... And am starting to really like the looks. :thumbsup:

BorisRS said:
1987 328 GTS. Am pretty sure that most of the acronyms that you and Shawn were using are redundant. Only one applicable with this car in my book is PGPSTM....

Please God, Please Start This Morning.... :laughlik:

Sweeeeet. Once nice car after another. :thumbsup:

nah, my e46. a little cranky sometimes. QP i havent touched it, so dunno if there's any problems. hahah

Racebred said:
nah, my e46. a little cranky sometimes. QP i havent touched it, so dunno if there's any problems. hahah

U should encourage your parent to go for a long tour ! Then it's really necessary to warm up the car "once in a while" :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Racebred said:
...You think your car is still trackable? Is it still on it's first set of shocks?

Since I have gotten the car, I have replaced all the hoses and other assorted bits of rubber in the engine bay and brake system, put on new shocks and bushings, replaced all fluids and skimmed brakes plus put on new pads so she should be ready to track. But will find out in 2 weeks at the Hong Seh annivesary celebrations. You going too right? So we can find out together.... :thumbsup:

Yes, original 16x7 front and 16x8 rears. Tyre size of 205/55 16 and 225/50 16 rears.

Finding relevant fresh tyres has been a headache. Problem is that most high performance tyres nowadays are very grippy but not terribly progressive. With an old car like this designed with plenty of suspension travel, the non progressive tyre letting go at the limit is like a catapult!!! :whattheh:
This is compounded by the fact that almost nobody keeps 16 inch tyres in stock! I needed fresh tyres (old ones were 5 years old!) and the only ZR I could get my hands on were Yokohama AVS 100s. Not bad but not very sexy either...

try the SO3.

actually almost brand new SO3 from the other 328GTB were given to me, in the proper size. 205f and 225r.

they were sitting in my house mint condition for about a month. then i scared they wasted, so i stripped out the SP9000 on my z3 and put the s03 on. Those sp9000 were also rather new, but i no choice & had to sell them to the tyre shop for $80 altogether.

I didnt know you looking for tyres, i could have given them to you man.

S-03 is precisely the tyre that will shot put you to KLIA runway if you are not careful at Sepang in an old car.

SP9000 on the other hand is nice and progressive and NOW THAN YOU SAY! Alamak! How many people do you know have 328s anyways....Owe me Kopi in KL now....

hahahahah yeah you could have fitted my almost new SP9000 if you wanted. That fella only took them in at $80 for all 4!!!!

hahaha ok next time i chiah you ramly burger.

Have heard market rumour that the Q'port's keys are v difficult for you to get hold off in your household? True?

You cant be serious? I thought he wasn't too keen about cars in general and didnt even want to step outside to look at it when it was brought round for test drive....

So what happened?

RB, thanks for the summary ! :thumbsup:

U're de manz !

Racebred said:
9. But it's a moot point since not many people have a scantool to tell them their current adaptation anyway, plus clearing adaptation is nothing wrong.

10. So, in a nutshell, if you dont have the proper tools, or are unsure how a particular mod will affect your Long Term adaptation, just clear the farker and let the ECU do it's job.

It is always better to err on the rich side IMO. So if you are increasing airflow, no point resetting and going to lean even if it is only temporary. If I am unsure, I am still leaving it as it is. I know of no mod that seeks to reduce airflow which is why I am sure that almost always the correction will be increasing.

In terms of swtiching from aftermarket mod to aftermarket mod of the same component, they generally will be in the same area (still definitely closer together than stock is to aftermarket mod), plus it is more likely that the component you are switching TO is better than the one you are switching FROM. This is if you're looking for power and you've read reviews from reliable sources. In cases wheres the knowledge gathered on the product you are switching TO is wrong and airflow actually reduces...I would still prefer to work from +10% down to +8% running very slightly rich for a limited time, rather than work from 0% (which is considerably lean) back up to 8% which means longer time spent in an unhealthier situation.

meaning dont clear long term fuel trim is better? but there are also other individual adaptation clearing under the "clear all" umbrella, like knock, ignition, etc.

--------
les, thats coz he suddenly liked the car very very much when he saw it!!

And you thought that you have gotten yourself a new stealth bomber.....Guess time to renew interest in a GS then? :twisted:

Racebred said:
meaning dont clear long term fuel trim is better? but there are also other individual adaptation clearing under the "clear all" umbrella, like knock, ignition, etc.

Both knock/ign timing is constantly but slowly moving around too based on conditions - and mods that increase power increase pressure/heat in the combustion chamber all else equal. It is good to adapt from safer condition to safe condition rather than from less safe to safe condition.

Richer down to rich better than lean back up to rich.
More retarded and then advance ignition slowly better than start knocking and apply large retard and still have to creep back to optimum.

IMO

true..., but according to leonard, when he clears his A4, he says butt-feel says better power leh.

les, yeah it's quite stealth. 13.3 1/4mile in a 2 ton barge.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vn88idvn

Latest posts

Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back