Coilovers... when is it needed?

Re: Coilovers... when is it needed?

actually can good coilovers ever be more comfortable than stock springs+shocks?

That's not good for some site sponsors ..................

Racebred;635037 said:
for street driving, you never need a coilover. Waste money, waste resources.
if its for street driving, and if you somehow need to get a very specific ride height, you'll have to get a coilover, but a cheap one will do.
if you want to do serious tracking, then you need to get a good set of coilovers. There are many non-performance type of coilover brands out there with no proper engineering and research done. They are put out into the market because buyers have associated coilovers=performance, so many people blindly buy and blindly install. At the track, you can definitely feel the difference between a good set that cost over $10k, and a normal one that cost $1k.
In my opinion, the coilover aspect of sitting the spring does not give you any additional advantage if you do not need adjustability. In a theoratical situation where you have 1 x optimised settings, somehow, from your shock + spring set, it should perform just as well as a set of coilovers.
In any case, depending on the model of car you drive, sometimes coilovers are not possible. You buy a coilover set but actually only the front is a coilover, the rear is still separate. How many people know that?

nobkia;635426 said:
actually can good coilovers ever be more comfortable than stock springs+shocks?

Hi Nobkia,

different people will have a different level in terms of comfort......as for me, it is definitely coilover..........cant stand stock suspension...........rock the boat, like bus......(where got comfort, wanna vomit)
i find coilover very much more comfortable than stock.....................that's me not sure about other owners.............

cheers

ac323;635432 said:
Hi Nobkia,

different people will have a different level in terms of comfort......as for me, it is definitely coilover..........cant stand stock suspension...........rock the boat, like bus......(where got comfort, wanna vomit)
i find coilover very much more comfortable than stock.....................that's me not sure about other owners.............

cheers

+1 for coilovers ..........

but lets say on uneven roads, coilovers will shake/rock more than stock suspension anot?

ac323;635432 said:
Hi Nobkia,

cheers

golilok;641873 said:
but lets say on uneven roads, coilovers will shake/rock more than stock suspension anot?

on uneven roads: that's where the coilover give you a firmer ride thru it.......not rock/shake thru it......

cheers

golilok;641873 said:
U can get those that doesn't.
End of the day depends on what u want.

Vroom vroom.

Cheers.

C3P0;641875 said:
U can get those that doesn't.
End of the day depends on what u want.

Vroom vroom.

Cheers.

so what do you want???? C3PO???

cheers

on uneven road

a. big wave uneven road .... coilover solid ... up/down steady poon pi pi ... stock suspension up/down like boat

b. small wave uneven road ... coilover suffer abit as it's hard ... it jump tong tong tong (that's when my wife complain) ... stock suspension is softer hence absorb the sudden up/down better

overall, i will still go for coilover.

the above problem only experience in msia b-road and certain stretch of nsh. in singapore all expressway, coilover is good for me :)

having said that, coilover is not for everyone. some very sensitive on suspension. just abit harder, will complain liao. so, you decide.

golilok;641873 said:

Last edited by a moderator:

In scenario a. + long winding sweep = really nice with coilover.........

wt_know;641880 said:
on uneven road

a. big wave uneven road .... coilover solid ... up/down steady poon pi pi ... stock suspension up/down like boat

b. small wave uneven road ... coilover suffer abit as it's hard ... it jump tong tong tong (that's when my wife complain) ... stock suspension is softer hence absorb the sudden up/down better

overall, i will still go for coilover.

the above problem only experience in msia b-road and certain stretch of nsh. in singapore all expressway, coilover is good for me :)

having said that, coilover is not for everyone. some very sensitive on suspension. just abit harder, will complain liao. so, you decide.

ac323;641877 said:
so what do you want???? C3PO???

cheers
I want Box Spy. Faster than 335.
MTL, vroom vroom.

golilok;641873 said:

Seems like you should change car!!

RX450 will be very comfy for you!!

'The Great White'

wilman2772;641889 said:
Seems like you should change car!!

RX450 will be very comfy for you!!

'The Great White'

how about X6M?

cheers

C3P0;641888 said:
I want Box Spy. Faster than 335.
MTL, vroom vroom.

PI or agent???

cheers

ac323;641891 said:
how about X6M?

cheers

Nah.....Lexus is most comfy & quiet!!

Can fall asleep very soundly!!

'The Great White'

wilman2772;641894 said:
Nah.....Lexus is most comfy & quiet!!

Can fall asleep very soundly!!

'The Great White'

alright, point taken......................

cheers

Just had the V3 installed two days ago on my F10. Enjoying every minute of the ride. Personally, I like the ride now, better than stock, especially, the rebound! More controlled. The ride is not harsh as I thought it might be, maybe because it's set to comfy levels. Stiffer and firm but definitely not hard or harsh. The handling is superb, really what every BMW should be. Ever since I got the F10, not as happy about the handling, prefered the E60. Now with the V3, it brings a smile to my face every time I am in it, tackling every corner with zest and confidence:) of cos, it looks beautifut now with a lower ride. My next upgrade - a new set of 19' wheels from my current 18':)
CM

there is no better way to explain this

"Stiffer and firm but definitely not hard or harsh"

having said that, there are drivers who like "soft" ride ... :D
so, the owner must decide what he wants

CML;642993 said:
Just had the V3 installed two days ago on my F10.

Enjoying every minute of the ride. Personally, I like the ride now, better than stock, especially, the rebound! More controlled.

The ride is not harsh as I thought it might be, maybe because it's set to comfy levels. Stiffer and firm but definitely not hard or harsh.

The handling is superb, really what every BMW should be. Ever since I got the F10, not as happy about the handling, prefered the E60.

Now with the V3, it brings a smile to my face every time I am in it, tackling every corner with zest and confidence:) of cos, it looks beautifut now with a lower ride.

My next upgrade - a new set of 19' wheels from my current 18':)

CM

Please post the same in this thread http://www.bmw-sg.com/forums/uuc-parts-wilman2772/46830-kw-v3-bmw-f10-5-series-2.html

:D

'The Great White'

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rohitkulkarni978
Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back