Coilovers... when is it needed?

Re: Coilovers... when is it needed?

I find the stock suspension tends to 'crash' over the big humps or the deep pot holes. Over bumpy roads, you can see the head lamps bouncing up and down. Now much better:)

After the springs settle in after a month or so - the dynamics would change some more tuning optimize it even further.......

CML;642993 said:
Just had the V3 installed two days ago on my F10. Enjoying every minute of the ride. Personally, I like the ride now, better than stock, especially, the rebound! More controlled. The ride is not harsh as I thought it might be, maybe because it's set to comfy levels. Stiffer and firm but definitely not hard or harsh. The handling is superb, really what every BMW should be. Ever since I got the F10, not as happy about the handling, prefered the E60. Now with the V3, it brings a smile to my face every time I am in it, tackling every corner with zest and confidence:) of cos, it looks beautifut now with a lower ride. My next upgrade - a new set of 19' wheels from my current 18':)
CM

glad you enjoy it.........

MTL
cheers

CML;643044 said:
I find the stock suspension tends to 'crash' over the big humps or the deep pot holes. Over bumpy roads, you can see the head lamps bouncing up and down. Now much better:)

That's exactly how I feel on my car's stock sport suspension. Is this a matter of the dampening being too hard?

valjean;643090 said:
That's exactly how I feel on my car's stock sport suspension. Is this a matter of the dampening being too hard?

Perhaps stock springs are soft and dampening is soft as well ...................

Red_Bean_Bun;643094 said:
Perhaps stock springs are soft and dampening is soft as well ...................

I've driven very different cars but still can't tell the difference between soft and hard suspensions.

My SI model should have sports suspension so I imagine they should be on the stiff side. I can feel every bump in the road - if I had to guess, it feels like the shocks aren't absorbing any of bumps. Hence wondering whether the shocks could be improved. But it could also be that 19" wheels will always have some harshness.

KWs too expensive to buy for trial-and-error!

Last edited by a moderator:

valjean;643111 said:
I've driven very different cars but still can't tell the difference between soft and hard suspensions.

My SI model should have sports suspension so I imagine they should be on the stiff side. I can feel every bump in the road - if I had to guess, it feels like the shocks aren't absorbing any of bumps. Hence wondering whether the shocks could be improved. But it could also be that 19" wheels will always have some harshness.

KWs too expensive to but for trial-and-error!

You could try mine to feel if there's a diff ...........but I think E85s are inherently harsher.

valjean;643111 said:

KWs too expensive to but for trial-and-error!

can try Koni FSD shock..........

cheers

Red_Bean_Bun;643116 said:
You could try mine to feel if there's a diff ...........but I think E85s are inherently harsher.

Cool, thanks for the offer - can get firsthand feel of the KWs. :)

Actually the ride is still bearable for me, except when I hit really bumpy roads or large potholes where it feels like the tyres are momentarily off the ground! But I feel bad for my passengers, man...

valjean;643194 said:

Actually the ride is still bearable for me, except when I hit really bumpy roads or large potholes where it feels like the tyres are momentarily off the ground! But I feel bad for my passengers, man...

wow, Avatar is now a White Z...........

cheers

ac323;643126 said:
can try Koni FSD shock..........

cheers

Thanks for the suggestion! Indeed it may be cheaper option to change shocks rather than entire coilover set since I'm quite OK with my current ride height. Something to explore at my next visit to the workshop.

valjean;643197 said:
Thanks for the suggestion! Indeed it may be cheaper option to change shocks rather than entire coilover set since I'm quite OK with my current ride height. Something to explore at my next visit to the workshop.

yup, wait till stock suspension go up lorry still not too late to experience the next level of fun.......

cheers

ac323;643198 said:
yup, wait till stock suspension go up lorry still not too late to experience the next level of fun.......

cheers

My mileage only 50k, so the stock shocks probably have a long way more to go, but I'm looking to improve ride comfort now. :(

Did some quick online research and the FSDs look very interesting, but no application for E85... bah. Only option is Koni Sports, which I think should cost less than swapping out my RFTs for non-RFTs.

valjean;643207 said:
My mileage only 50k, so the stock shocks probably have a long way more to go, but I'm looking to improve ride comfort now. :(

Did some quick online research and the FSDs look very interesting, but no application for E85... bah. Only option is Koni Sports, which I think should cost less than swapping out my RFTs for non-RFTs.

alright...........................................will wait to see what you've upgrade to ya...

cheers

valjean;643194 said:

Bumpy road / huge pothole thing is universal and can't be addressed by any coilover. Where the KWs did help is in the handling and braking ................

Coilovers are usu needed if u r intending to improve track performance. Otherwise, would recommend to stick to lowering springs if u r going for just looks and a lil sporty ride.

Do note that coilovers do have a lifespend...usu 2 yrs b4 going for full servicing.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
w9betgroup
Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back