Coming 5 years old E60

Re: Coming 5 years old E60

for the LCI model that runs on RFT, anyone here chose to fit a non FRT???

Seriously, FRT is rather harsh and if replaced with a normal one, will it affect the ride too much and becomes too soft ????

hamburger;1118122 said:
for the LCI model that runs on RFT, anyone here chose to fit a non FRT???

Seriously, FRT is rather harsh and if replaced with a normal one, will it affect the ride too much and becomes too soft ????

No, depends what tyre you are using. If you use premium tyre or UHP tyre like PS3, PSS, Assy 2, they will give you better handling and wet performance. Just ask your tyre shop and most of them able to give you more professional advise and choice.

According to BMW, all of their vehicles that uses run flat technology have their suspension and braking components set up to accommodate Run flat tyres. Should you decided to change to non run flat, it may alters the driving and handling characteristics of your vehicle. It is for this reason that this modification is not recommended by BMW as a manufacturer.

It stand true to certain extend. If you enjoy driving on super high speed. The differences is noticeable.

For normal driving. NRF out perform RFT. (Subject to the type of tyres used)

As for your become too soft question. Changing tyres doesn't affect that much.

cccc;1118145 said:
According to BMW, all of their vehicles that uses run flat technology have their suspension and braking components set up to accommodate Run flat tyres. Should you decided to change to non run flat, it may alters the driving and handling characteristics of your vehicle. It is for this reason that this modification is not recommended by BMW as a manufacturer.

It stand true to certain extend. If you enjoy driving on super high speed. The differences is noticeable.

For normal driving. NRF out perform RFT. (Subject to the type of tyres used)

As for your become too soft question. Changing tyres doesn't affect that much.

with reference to statement in green, so in terms of handling NRF would out perform a RFT i presume.

frankly i would get a premium tyre like CSC5 or PS3 and inflate it higher if i needed to go fast.

christopher ngo;1118127 said:
No, depends what tyre you are using. If you use premium tyre or UHP tyre like PS3, PSS, Assy 2, they will give you better handling and wet performance. Just ask your tyre shop and most of them able to give you more professional advise and choice.
frankly i trust my own judgement than taya man.

If I get your "inflate" meaning correct. You meant to say "add air" or "add gas" to the tyres when you are going fast?

Would you like to explain why you want to do that?

cccc;1118158 said:
If I get your "inflate" meaning correct. You meant to say "add air" or "add gas" to the tyres when you are going fast?

Would you like to explain why you want to do that?

yes, i will inflate my tyre to a higher pressure of at least 34-36 psi when i go in excess of 160km/h or beyond.

high speed=higher pressure & temperature within the tyre.
therefore, you need more air in the tyre to sustain that higher pressure and temperature.

It is also the reason why deflated or punctured tyre would blow if continue to travel at high speed.

hamburger;1118169 said:
yes, i will inflate my tyre to a higher pressure of at least 34-36 psi when i go in excess of 160km/h or beyond.

high speed=higher pressure & temperature within the tyre.
therefore, you need more air in the tyre to sustain that higher pressure and temperature.

It is also the reason why deflated or punctured tyre would blow if continue to travel at high speed.

i think you got it in reverse. shouldn't you inflate it to a slightly LOWER psi? because at sustained high speeds, the pressure and temp will go up, so you need lower pressure to start with. i suggest just keep to the recommended tyre pressure for your tyres when tyres are cold, that should do.
a punctured tyre at high speeds will not blow but be shredded to bits by the rims and the road.

Last edited by a moderator:

absalom;1118288 said:
i think you got it in reverse. shouldn't you inflate it to a slightly LOWER psi? because at sustained high speeds, the pressure and temp will go up, so you need lower pressure to start with. i suggest just keep to the recommended tyre pressure for your tyres when tyres are cold, that should do.
a punctured tyre at high speeds will not blow but be shredded to bits by the rims and the road.

what you shared is exactly what many taya man thinks, it is totally wrong.

look at your B pillar and see what it says about taya pressure recommendation at speed over 160km/h. A car taya is not a balloon.

btw, a puntured tyre will blow if travelling at speeds which the tyre is unable to hold the high pressure and temperature due to lack of tyre pressure within the tyre.

The pressure would also depend on the load on the car ......

Luggage and people etc ....

I'm staring so hard on my b-pillar that my eyes hurts. Yet I cannot find the information you have on your car. BMW recommended tyre pressure for 160km/hr.

I'm starting to have second thoughts about my car.

Can you post a picture of your b-pillar to show me the real thing?

For E60 you open driver door. Is just there. Look down towards ur right

Thanks. I have that sticker. But mine doesn't say anything about speed. Yours have?

cccc;1118392 said:
Thanks. I have that sticker. But mine doesn't say anything about speed. Yours have?
Sorry no speed just the pressure. Manaul?

Manual also never indicate.

This is the first time in my life, I hear vehicle manufacturer provide specific pressure on speed.

I want to get rich fast. So I want to learn more than I can sue BMW.

My oh my.
View attachment 68168

My owner handbook didn't have such specific information. I think I got a lemon!

I wonder if BMW encode this information somewhere in the manual which we need to either burn with fire or soak with water to reveal it.

My b-pillar sticker only show a table stating recommended pressure for specific load scenario on different tyre sizes.

My manual even worse. Only breifly described about tyres and pressure and nothing more.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iqlancesolutions
Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back