Continental Sport Contact I tyres..

piggyboyz

Core Group Members
The Conti tyre are not at all good for lateral grip, especially wet weather.

My car drifted 1/2 lane while cruising at 80kph when it hits a patch of water along Thomson Road some years back.. Never touch those things since.

That is why i am damn amazed when ppl says that Conti are good tyre :screwedu: :screwedu:

Thanks for your feedback !

The funny thig is, that our accident happened in moist conditions (it rained the night before), however there was no standing water and no aqua planing..My wife simply approached the bend at Bayshore turnoff
and shifted down from 5th to 4 gear., when the entire car suddenly felt wobbly and skidded almost as "being on ice", slamming into the road divider, etc.. We are still puzzled, how it could happen and the tyre could be one of the reasons, as confirmed by your feedback..thanks !

don't suppose its a manual ? for gear shifts in step. its quite smooth and would not cause a locking or rapid decelleration of the wheels which then loses traction..

then again .. I'm using conti .... time to change :uhhh:

sorry..it's a step tronic... the speed was also not very high, mayby around 70 kmh.. It just started to rain when it happened...

Thomas

tompat said:
sorry..it's a step tronic... the speed was also not very high, mayby around 70 kmh.. It just started to rain when it happened...

Thomas

Hi there,

Let me tell u something. Conti SUCKS BIG time!!! :shoot:
No offence ya..

Cheers dude

thanks for your thoughts ! Seems to be quite unbelievable that BMW uses these tyres as a standard option...

I hated those tyres. They are very slippery in the wet. Skidded in the taka car park once at very very very low speed. Since then i replace them with michelin pilot sport 2. Much much better.

tompat said:
thanks for your thoughts ! Seems to be quite unbelievable that BMW uses these tyres as a standard option...

There is not really a standard. The dealer usually fit the rims and tyres after the car is imported into Spore to avoid the high duties. And they will just take the most "economical" or "value" bid from the suppliers. Anyone can confirm this? :roll:

how old were your tyres when the accident happened?

the CSC1 is also fitted as standard on my turbo beetle. it's scary. you feel like you're committing suicide when cornering.

I heard CSC 3 is coming...let's see how it's gonna compete..

quiksilver said:
tompat said:

There is not really a standard. The dealer usually fit the rims and tyres after the car is imported into Spore to avoid the high duties. And they will just take the most "economical" or "value" bid from the suppliers. Anyone can confirm this? :roll:

Sounds like how M16 was made. :laughlik:

I've got 16"/205/55 CSC I on an Audi A4 and so far no big problem. I've never driven it hard in the wet before but dry grip seems OK. It's not as good as the previous Yokohama but it is more comfy.

I am currently running on CSC2 225/40R18 without any problem. Perhaps it is my overtly conservative driving habits, but the wet grip feels and fairs better than my previous Dunlop SP9000 and S03.

One thing though. According to its design specs, its tread grooves help to disperse water to resist hydroplaning (as with all). But its "Advanced Mold Contour" (AMC) feature, which allows the tire to become wider during braking to help shorten stopping distances, might actually work against braking grip during hydroplaning. In other words, the AMC features (at least it sounds to me) offset the grip on wet surfaces to a certain extent.

tompat said:

Thomas

Usually when it just started to rain, its the most slippery point of time on the roads.

Thanks friends,

Well, the tyres were about 2,5 years old..so, admittedly not really brand new..Nevertheless, this should be no reason to slide like "on ice", when
going into the bend (without standing water...it just started to drizzle..)

tompat said:
Thanks friends,

Well, the tyres were about 2,5 years old..so, admittedly not really brand new..Nevertheless, this should be no reason to slide like "on ice", when
going into the bend (without standing water...it just started to drizzle..)

Actually, I think 2.5 year old tyres are considered to be 'expired'. Did you slide on one of those white road markings?

maybe if the car suddenly lose traction, it could be due to road condition also, like oil patch. braking or conering over an oil patch is no joke. it feels exactly like a blown tyre. u just understeer to death.

CSCII is much better...

I have heard some comments regarding performance in the wet for CSC tyres.....but I know that CSCIIs are much much better in comparison. The wet weather performance has improved by leaps and bounds as compared to CSC. I have tried both and that is my comments and feel.

Anyway, I think CSCII is realy much more suitable for our wet tropical weather here. Why CSC tyres are reputed as good tyres are becoz of where they were initially intended for....Europe markets. I think the kind of wetness they get over there is a really thin film of moist/water.......as for us, a little drizzle could easily have the ground covered in 1cm or more water. Coupled with a bend and road markings or the constant road mending surfaces......I think those factors may have led to this kind of skidding incidences.

I have read some bros commenting on the water slicing capabilities of the CSCIIs..... much better den many other makes or brands. As for CSC....i may beg to differ. Maybe we shd start to ask our agents to supply the newer CSCIIs....hehe.

I jus read further and realise we are discussin a set of 2.5yr old tyres......

pardon me bro.....but if well used, any 2.5yr old tyres might even lose grip when turning out of a bend or from standstill! Trust me..... Yoko, Dunlop, Falken, Michelin......all i tried, when the steering wheel is turned 75% from standstill (maybe like when waiting to make a U-turn), wheelspin occurs when u depress on the accelerator.

Think better change those tyres........ safety first man.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jsjl444

Latest posts

Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back