Couple sue developer over condo floor area

Re: Couple sue developer over condo floor area

ktnpl;1044507 said:
In terms of volume of space, the buyer wasn't shortchanged. But the double volume space does not count as double floor area unless they are allowed to build a slab over the double volume space. To a layman, it is just a super high ceiling. I hope the buyer wins the case.

Yes ... cheers for the buyer... got guts man .... many people kena cheated by this kind of void will applause.

troublesome;1044830 said:
Yes ... cheers for the buyer... got guts man .... many people kena cheated by this kind of void will applause.

I think the couple must have done their homework and know they have a good case before taking on the Goliath. This is because the imaginary 20sqm will never be captured in the strata survey. The project QP is also unlikely to declare the imaginary 20sqm floor area as GFA because the developer wants to maximise profit. Hence it is neither as built nor potential floor area because the strata title holder is not allowed to build on that space. Under such circumstances, it is a serious misrepresentation by the developer or their marketing agent. From the report, the developer has already "panicked" by taking a side swipe at the buyer on their income which is diverting attention from the real issue. I think the likely outcome is the developer will settle out of court with the affected buyers. Just speculating though as I am not privy to the case and have no vested interest.

Last edited by a moderator:

If that is the case - I smell a class action suite .........

ktnpl;1044836 said:
I think the couple must have done their homework and know they have a good case before taking on the Goliath. This is because the imaginary 20sqm will never be captured in the strata survey. The project QP is also unlikely to declare the imaginary 20sqm floor area as GFA because the developer wants to maximise profit. Hence it is neither as built nor potential floor area because the strata title holder is not allowed to build on that space. Under such circumstances, it is a serious misrepresentation by the developer or their marketing agent. From the report, the developer has already "panicked" by taking a side swipe at the buyer on their income which is diverting attention from the real issue. I think the likely outcome is the developer will settle out of court with the affected buyers. Just speculating though as I am not privy to the case and have no vested interest.

Red_Bean_Bun;1044859 said:
If that is the case - I smell a class action suite .........

agreed !! is the developer that to be blamed ... how can they hide the 20ssqm void from buyer...

竟有这等事?天理何在?
how unfair! I mean who would be willing to pay 135k just for a void space? absolutely nonsensical!
Does the developer think that everyone can earn 135k in a month?!!
well,using this kind of tactic, the of course the developer can, but for most of the people out there, absolutely not!!

I really hope the buyer will win
how can the developer possibly win?
(however, everyone knows that money can solve everything......==")

Couple sue developer over condo floor area

There are many developers, especially foreign ones in more recent times, in the local market. Not every developer is ethical or scrupulous and there are those that still abide by strong principles and create good products that benefit the consumers. Having said that, caveat emptor!

Sky Lim;1044956 said:
how can the developer possibly win?
(however, everyone knows that money can solve everything......==")

If developer wins, we can start practising what they preach. If the cheque bounce, tell the seller to imagine that payment has been made and they can keep the one million dollars spare change.:thinking:

Who approved the building plans? Who allowed developers to charge buyers for unusable space?

with the current rule in showroom aka WYSIWYG, will such problem still occur?

anyway, if the marketing agent want to smoke buyer "creatively" ... i assume everything is possible including can build a upper deck for high ceiling unit

I thot this practice has been going on all this while. The condo I stay has some 2 storey units. The upper deck has only the master bedroom, and huge void space. Area of unit supposedly 1700sqft. But I find the usable space lesser than my 1350sqft unit.
One of the owners tried to build more space fromthe void, but was told to tear it down.

lefty;1045005 said:
I thot this practice has been going on all this while. The condo I stay has some 2 storey units. The upper deck has only the master bedroom, and huge void space. Area of unit supposedly 1700sqft. But I find the usable space lesser than my 1350sqft unit.
One of the owners tried to build more space fromthe void, but was told to tear it down.

I suppose those are penthouse units. Not all developers are like that. The penthouse units at my condo has a slab over the living room to form part of the roof terrace and every 202 sqm floor area is usable area. There are small void spaces but they are not counted in the floor area. Hearsay there was some "miscommunication" over something else but the affected buyers were allowed to back out of the purchase with some indirect "compensation".

The counting of double volume is quite a pervasive smelly praçtice. In my case I went in with my eyes open as I liked the unit. I hope Garment will clamp down on this. There is already progress eg show flat cannot misrep.

ktnpl;1045043 said:
I suppose those are penthouse units. Not all developers are like that. The penthouse units at my condo has a slab over the living room to form part of the roof terrace and every 202 sqm floor area is usable area. There are small void spaces but they are not counted in the floor area. Hearsay there was some "miscommunication" over something else but the affected buyers were allowed to back out of the purchase with some indirect "compensation".

"Not all developers are like that" ......
well ... let me check who the developer of Blossom Residences is ? Grand .... hmmmm and its parent company is ..... wow .... something CXX ...hmmmm

dirty dirty .... yack yack ...... buyers better be caution next time .... don't fall into the trap !!!!

troublesome;1045946 said:
well ... let me check who the developer of Blossom Residences is ? Grand .... hmmmm and its parent company is ..... wow .... something CXX ...hmmmm

dirty dirty .... yack yack ...... buyers better be caution next time .... don't fall into the trap !!!!

Don't worry ... let the justice decides .... I smells that there were already many rules changed because of this couple case ... why the showflat rules changed ? Why must all the areas of a unit be clearly specified and buyers to be informed and understand before signing on the OTP?

The case is closely watched, and I've seen many local and foreign newspaper already published this news last year around October, and recently Chinese newspaper also mentioned again about this void area so ... let's wait and see how the outcome will be, as the hearing will continue this April before JC Tan Siong Thye.

developer so rich. and their loses don't amount to 1mil.

troublesome;1045946 said:

More and more developers are like that these days....will be good to get some recommendation of good developers...those last few good men type.. :)

Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back