creaking sound on a 5 series

tansiong

Hi to all, my current ride e60 has a creaking sound from the door whenever i move my car. It is really very irritating and i hope bros here can teach me how to solve this problem. It seems like coming from all the doors and when the car is in stationary mode it don't have this noise. I also don't know it is from the door panels or where also. Please help me.

Thanks

Re: creaking sound on a 5 series

This is a common E60 problem. Give me yr email, I will email you the recommended action as per BMW service bulletin.

There are two ways to rectify it yourself:

1. Undo all the door rubber seals and use 3M double sided tape (as per the bulletin).
2. Get a rubber moisturizer and apply repeatedly to the seals in intervals of one week, for up to three weeks - this is what I do.

just go to PML and get the friction tape treatment.. last you forever with no more creaks... my previous e60 runs for 5 years with the tape and it is still good when it's sold.
it's a shame BMW never fix this problem since e39 days.. let's see F10 if they fix it.

zag;398195 said:
just go to PML and get the friction tape treatment.. last you forever with no more creaks... my previous e60 runs for 5 years with the tape and it is still good when it's sold.
it's a shame BMW never fix this problem since e39 days.. let's see F10 if they fix it.

If your car outside the warranty period, I think they charge for this.

I think best is to sent my car to pml. But i no more warranty already. Wondering how much will they charge me. Thanks

My BN E90 oso same problem after 1 month of driving.. problem most likely due to our climate.

Sent my car to pml today and book a appointment. The service advisor told me he will paste 3M friction tape and cost me $280. That's expensive. Wondering outside shop does this anot?

tansiong;398399 said:
The service advisor told me he will paste 3M friction tape and cost me $280.

I had the same door squeaking issue with my previous E39. When I looked to the Net for answer, I found out about the 3M Squeak Reduction aka Anti-Friction Tape, and even found a step-by-step DIY procedure to apply the tape. I thought I found it here in BMW-SG, but I couldn't find that article anymore. Perhaps someone else here might be able to recall or have bookmarked it.

I looked for 3M distributor here and managed to buy 1 roll of 1" x 3 yards of 3M 5430 UHMW Tape for $17.68 (incl. 4% GST back then). Yes, I still have the receipt because I was anticipating buying it when necessary. That was back in 2003, and BMW still hasn't solved this issue.

If you like to, you can call Applied Digital System Pte Ltd at 67770100. Just called the number and it's still around.

Explorer;398434 said:
I had the same door squeaking issue with my previous E39. When I looked to the Net for answer, I found out about the 3M Squeak Reduction aka Anti-Friction Tape, and even found a step-by-step DIY procedure to apply the tape. I thought I found it here in BMW-SG, but I couldn't find that article anymore. Perhaps someone else here might be able to recall or have bookmarked it.

I looked for 3M distributor here and managed to buy 1 roll of 1" x 3 yards of 3M 5430 UHMW Tape for $17.68 (incl. 4% GST back then). Yes, I still have the receipt because I was anticipating buying it when necessary. That was back in 2003, and BMW still hasn't solved this issue.

If you like to, you can call Applied Digital System Pte Ltd at 67770100. Just called the number and it's still around.

Just call up them and they have stock for the tape but they will check see can sell to consumer anot. Will try out today if they can sell me and feedback here. Maybe i'll just stick the whole panel ot cover the noise.

Thanks

tansiong;398444 said:
Just call up them and they have stock for the tape but they will check see can sell to consumer anot. Will try out today if they can sell me and feedback here. Maybe i'll just stick the whole panel ot cover the noise.

Thanks
Tansiong,

I suggest getting the Gummi Pledge spray from PML, costs about 14 bucks and it works wonders on rubber and plastic. Spray it along the rubber seals, should remove the noises.

SilkySmooth6;398461 said:
Tansiong,

I suggest getting the Gummi Pledge spray from PML, costs about 14 bucks and it works wonders on rubber and plastic. Spray it along the rubber seals, should remove the noises.

Can check out the E60 Forum for a long thread. As I recall, one of the solutions is to generously apply vaseline to the black felt along the door sills as that eliminates the friction and thus creaking. This apparently works better than the tapes.

whopper;398507 said:
Can check out the E60 Forum for a long thread. As I recall, one of the solutions is to generously apply vaseline to the black felt along the door sills as that eliminates the friction and thus creaking. This apparently works better than the tapes.
This sounds interesting and good. 3m distributor called me in the afternoon and they told me they don't have stock for the tape.

whopper;398507 said:
one of the solutions is to generously apply vaseline to the black felt along the door sills as that eliminates the friction and thus creaking. This apparently works better than the tapes.

I've got the friction tapes installed but still get the creaking noise from time to time. Just to clarify, is the vaseline applied to the rubber seal around the door sill or the one on the door itself? Cheers!

I had the same issue. Bought a can of silicon spray and literally sprayed it onto my index finger and then rubbed it into the rubber both on the door and on the frames. It took a good 1 hour to do it properly.

The sound disappeared completely after about a week and that was 2 and a half years ago.

Spaying directly onto the rubber can be messy and you may end up with it on your clothes when you get in and out, so that's why I used my finger. That doesn't sound right - but you know what I mean.

Don't think the cracking sounds (hard surfaces rubbing) are coming from the rubber seals as they are flexible. If its the rubber seals, then the sounds should be squeaks. As such, vaseline should be applied onto the felt-lined portions on the door (at the top). Those are where the 3M tapes are applied to.

Can try out on 1 door first. Also vaseline is much cheaper and probably easier to just wipe off and remove.

whopper;398768 said:
Don't think the cracking sounds (hard surfaces rubbing) are coming from the rubber seals as they are flexible. If its the rubber seals, then the sounds should be squeaks. As such, vaseline should be applied onto the felt-lined portions on the door (at the top). Those are where the 3M tapes are applied to.

Oic, thanks. Will try. Cheers!

Hi there,

Need some help here..

Recently I have been realising my E60 523 have been giving out a continuous screeching sound ( not sure where is it from , seems liek fan belt n, not too sure ) . The noise only comes out when I am engage in the 'D' mode or 'Reverse mode when stationary and engine already warn up. It doesnt happen when in 'N' or 'P' mode.

any one experience this issue before? Tks.

Rgds
Cheong

Which brand of the vaseline do you recommend? What is the estimated cost?

Thanks.

hkhdbst;464576 said:
Which brand of the vaseline do you recommend? What is the estimated cost?

Thanks.
actually u can use WD40. or if u want there is this product called gummi pfledge sold at PML. cost about 30 bucks i think

Slater;464602 said:
actually u can use WD40. or if u want there is this product called gummi pfledge sold at PML. cost about 30 bucks i think

WD40 can work as well ? I got this creaking sound as well. Any coupe bro out there has this problem as coupe do not have the window frame as a sedan ?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hitclub999com
Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back