DAB Radio in Spore

watermeth

Hi All

Just wondering how many of us have a DAB Tuner in your ride & whether it came factory-fitted or you added it in Spore. Appreciate your participation here, thks.

I believe the current cars brought in by PML do not come with a DAB Tuner (at least not on the E92s when I last checked). Instead PML has, as standard equipment, the CD Changer (it's either DAB Tuner or CD Changer, not both, on E92s due space constraints).

I would imagine all of us have rippped our CDs onto the Ipod or HDD/Thumb Drive & listening to them via the USB/audio interface or the AUX-IN, thus, making the car's CD Changer redundant. It's physical position (on the E92s) should be taken by the DAB Tuner instead. One can then listen to almost all our current radio broadcasts in DAB; plus 5 additional stations that are only receivalbe on DAB tuners but not FM Tuners.

Two of PML's SE I talked to recently have not even heard of DAB in Spore & it's has been around since Nov1999!

More details on Spore's DAB here: Digital Radio Official Website - A Digital Service Of MediaCorp Radio

Re: DAB Radio in Spore

It was hot initially, after that cool down. I remember the REVO in car model which can plug into the existing HU. But if you look atthe DAB site, Revo is not there. anymore.
I use DAB to check the title of the featured song. Ha... Ha....

bac;442110 said:
It was hot initially, after that cool down. I remember the REVO in car model which can plug into the existing HU. But if you look atthe DAB site, Revo is not there. anymore.
I use DAB to check the title of the featured song. Ha... Ha....

Ya, that's not there anymore. Probably very few tune to DAB & hence no sales! It's a real pity that Media Corp puts up such a world class broadcasting system & don't promote it's presence/use. I only heard some passing mention of DAB on the FM frequencies a few months back. I think the only people listening to DAB in Spore are the ones working at the DAB department of Media Corp! LoL

Btw, do you listen to DAB through a stand alone in your home or your car's DAB tuner?

vegadonovan;442111 said:
I don't think there is any kind of snap on, is there?

Thanks!

Snap on is rather untidy as it would need a power supply, a stick-on-the-glass aerial and a suitable AUX-in to the HU. Then you have to find a suitable place to mount the unit in the cockpit. Makes one lousy mess, IMHO.

BMW UK has the fully integrated DAB option for E92/93 at a mere 305 British pounds. One can then have AM/FM/DAB on the HU. If a BMW has the optical & elect cables wired to the shark fin by the factory, I gather from the other Forums that a retrofit isn't much of a problem, provided one can get the local BMW dealer to re-prog the onboard software after installation.

In the past, there is this REVO brand.. it claims to be easy to add on.. But don't seem to be popular! Check out whether it has died out or not...

watermeth;442357 said:
Snap on is rather untidy as it would need a power supply, a stick-on-the-glass aerial and a suitable AUX-in to the HU. Then you have to find a suitable place to mount the unit in the cockpit. Makes one lousy mess, IMHO.

BMW UK has the fully integrated DAB option for E92/93 at a mere 305 British pounds. One can then have AM/FM/DAB on the HU. If a BMW has the optical & elect cables wired to the shark fin by the factory, I gather from the other Forums that a retrofit isn't much of a problem, provided one can get the local BMW dealer to re-prog the onboard software after installation.

watermeth;442357 said:

Thanks, and talking about the software updates for addons, how do PML charge for doing that, does anyone know? Or I fake a problem and ask them to remedy with a software upgrade? This is one topic that's always confusing....

vegadonovan;442374 said:
Thanks, and talking about the software updates for addons, how do PML charge for doing that, does anyone know? Or I fake a problem and ask them to remedy with a software upgrade? This is one topic that's always confusing....

Apparently, there is a DAB option for your E60, too. So do ask PML for a retro fit & all charges & excuses (e.g. sorry, only factory can fit) will be revealed.
Hope they prove me wrong.

Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back