DIY Car Cam install guide

Re: DIY Car Cam install guide

if i wanna hardwire to fuse #7 so that it will only record during ignition on, will i still get the battery drain msg on idrive?

sockster;886881 said:
if i wanna hardwire to fuse #7 so that it will only record during ignition on, will i still get the battery drain msg on idrive?

You shouldn't get that msg since there's no battery drain when ignition is off.
Also please check your own car's fuse map on the correct fuse since the homelink fuse location may vary for different car models

simville;886912 said:
Pin Liang is opposite my office and I know he charge 70 for installation for BMW

70 for one or 2 cam?

Actually, i attempted an identical install quite a while back. Interestingly, its the same for the e92 m3. Wiring is exactly the same. The fuse box was insanely hard to reach. I did for front n back cameras. Will post some pics, if it helps anyone. Its a 1 out of 5 difficulty install if anyone is thinking of doing it.

I used the windscreen wiper fuse and interior light fuse. :)

Ts, you are damn good. I tapped the yellow wire to the interior lights. The camera tends to deactivate after a few hrs in parking mode. So, i took your advice to tap iu fuse instead. It works! Thanks.

I m using a camera with front and rear. If anyone is still doubting whether to install, please install one. Its a saver. Dont need to live with risk of vandalism and other reckless drivers. the few hundred is better spent than on an exhaust. :)

Ps: the fuse tapping approach is apparently the same as a e92 m3. Lol

Last edited by a moderator:

zzt231;1015558 said:
Ts, you are damn good. I tapped the yellow wire to the interior lights. The camera tends to deactivate after a few hrs in parking mode. So, i took your advice to tap iu fuse instead. It works! Thanks.

I m using a camera with front and rear. If anyone is still doubting whether to install, please install one. Its a saver. Dont need to live with risk of vandalism and other reckless drivers. the few hundred is better spent than on an exhaust. :)

hi bro, even if camera front and rear, apparently the police cant do much against vandalism case eh.. my neighbour went to police and case has been pending for a yr already..

ts, i got to give it to you.. i was thinking of installing an in car cam (yes i still dont have one now :(
but after looking at the pics of your fuse box.. i think i may end up paying more for damage repair.
anyone here successfully diy-ed after reading this?

Bro, the point is its better than not having any. If you have no cameras, lagi more likely to kena vandalism. Its the deterence factor.

Lets look at the case of banks. Banks get robbed anyway and fraud takes place, despite the legions of security guards and internal auditors ploughing through historic and current data. But, it does not mean that banks should have no security guards and internal audit.

The same applies here. Its the deterence factor. Sorry to hear your neighbour case. The best form of anti vandalism is 24 hr security or to park behind a security guard post (my mum did cos we lived very near an industrial building or park in landed house. Condo also not 100% safe (sighzzz). Next best is, deterence with cameras and park in bright lit place.

Personally, i would prefer park next to security guard post if stay near enough to industrial building. :)

Ps: no offense bro 2882, why you ask if anyone successfully diy? Curious cos you also mentioned that even with cameras, the cops cant do much. cheer up bro.

Last edited by a moderator:

2882;1015594 said:
ts, i got to give it to you.. i was thinking of installing an in car cam (yes i still dont have one now :(
but after looking at the pics of your fuse box.. i think i may end up paying more for damage repair.
anyone here successfully diy-ed after reading this?

Can do one lah bro. The pillar trim is a might pita. Else, quite ok plus need lots of patience.

zzt231;1015617 said:
Can do one lah bro. The pillar trim is a might pita. Else, quite ok plus need lots of patience.

Hah. Wild it work if Im a dummy in this with absolutely no experience?

it's better to spend $50 go to any audio shop to install for you

2882;1015722 said:
Hah. Wild it work if Im a dummy in this with absolutely no experience?

zzt231;1015558 said:

most of the fuses are not constant power so the car will shut down the power to these fuses after a while which is why you encountered the problem. good that you managed to solve the problem. :)

sorry for bringing up this thread, assuming ones tap the DVR (blackvue or itronics) to the IU reader fuse with the power magic, still will get the draining battery warning right?

If your ride's IBS think that your battery SOH is not good it will prompt. It will also prompt if the battery guard feature gets kicked up.

topfuel;1113138 said:
sorry for bringing up this thread, assuming ones tap the DVR (blackvue or itronics) to the IU reader fuse with the power magic, still will get the draining battery warning right?
IU reader's charge comes from where?

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
n6663

Latest posts

Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back