DLS Iridium or Focal K2p

Re: DLS Iridium or Focal K2p

New ones are going for less than $ 1.3K or so, bro! Damn tempting at that price, man ! Or I can always get em from Eng at Mobile SQ. But anyway, I think Jaskin's found what he needs.

Cheers,

I've actually places a deposit for the speakers. Now I'm not too sure who to install it with. Jason at Dynasty as usual was telling me how his wonderful installation is different from other installers but it'll cost $600 etc etc. I'll probably head with HG and do a custom tweeter mount near the A pillars.
Another thing, how much is the Alpine 9855? I was quoted $650 at Edison but doesn't have warranty. Am also looking at the Alpine 7998R. Which is a better headunit?

Hey bro,

The 7998R wins it for me! It's a much better SQ deck (no internal amplification) and personally, I feel that it was a better internal processor, onboard EQ/X-overs that offer you bags of tuning possibilities and an overall presentation that's beautifully balanced. The newer 985X decks IMO are a touch bright to my ears compared to their older 983x siblings. Sure, the 9855 has a better display and the Glide Touch thingy but I'll take the old gal over the new ones any time. You'd also notice that the 7998R has outlived the last 3 generation of the Alpine's 98x series decks ... kinda says a lot about its capability and qualities, don't you think so ?

But ultimately, you would need to spend some time listening and fiddling with both decks to decide which one wins your vote. Happy hunting !!!

Cheers,

7998???

Bro... this unit is very very old liao leh... I bought it when it was a few months old, and this was in July 2002... By now the newer models will already have functions that surpass this unit. I'm even surprised that they are still selling this unit. There are a few units that failed for swing mechanism, not known for its reliability - beware if you are planning to get 2nd hand and plan to use for sometime more.

Get the 9860, and combine it with the 701 processor lah. Killer combo for reasonable price man. The 9860 is even a DVD player, with optic out for best SQ to your 701 processor. 701 processor can also be controlled via the HU, so you don't even need to buy the 701 controller (save money).

If you want seamless ipod connectivity, get the 9861. Similar to 9860 but face mechanism is different.

With these single disc DVD players + 701... just add a TV screen anytime to enjoy full DTS / Dolby Digital sound, add $190 for a digital Mobile TV tuner, or add a rear view camera to have really cool views of who's tailgating you at the back. I installed my camera at my rear number plate, it even has night vision - can spot lorries/bikes/cyclists in my rear that don't even have their lights switched on.

Hey iceman,

Would you recommend I set up my tweeters like those in your car? Thomas was suggesting that I do that but fabrication and installation would cost $250.

Another question does the 9861 have time alignment? Not willing to spend on the H701 at this point in time.

Yeah I saw that. Not very appealing if there's not TA. Which means I have to purchase a H701. I thought the 9855 had TA? so does the 9835 right? Why would alpine delete such a feature from its top of the line model?

Yeah, both the 9855/3 come with Bass Engine Pro feature so TA/3-way x-overs/etc are standard offerings along i Personalize. Somehow, these features are missing from the current range of decks. Oh well ... kinda makes it easier to justify the need for a H701 with the new decks, doesn't it ?

Cheers,

yeah definately, Looks like for basic users like me I'll probably stick with the previous generation of HUs then. Either that or just up the budget and get the HX-D2 but that's just overspending.

HX D2 is 1.2K... Alpine 9855 is $680. that's almost 2X more. If I'm spending 1.2K I'll get a used D310 or D300 instead. At least got touchscreens

The SQ from HX-D2 is superb... and the staging u can achieve is very sharp.

Say your dash board is the stage... if u use the 701 for instance, u can probably "segmentalise" in into say 7 segments, from right to left, then u do your time alignment etc..

if its HX-D2, you can probably have 12. Just to illustrate. So with HX-D2, u can realy zero in on the centre of the dashboard with time alignment. Of cos, all these only matter if u are chasing the last bit of SQ etc.. if u are not, then get a good enough one.

I like the 7998. The 985X series had rotor issues, not sure if they solved them altho they claimed they did. 986X series i havent heard...

9861 series dun have TA so its kinda dumb to get that and a H701. So I'm thinking of either the 9855 or D300/310 series.

check around for the 9855... since it has reputation of rotor problems and possibly too bright. Good luck mate..

Hi all,

Went to check out the LD shop (next to Katong Shopping Centre) this afternoon and was asked to consider this set up:

1. Front - Component speakers from Lotus SEA Performance
2. Rear - Either co-axials (if not concerned about rear sound) or component speakers
3. Subwoofer - 12 inch boxed up
4. Monoblock amp - DLS (not too sure which series or wattage)
5. 4-channel amp - DLS (again not too sure which series or wattage)
6. 2- channel amp - DLS to run the rear components if it is set up
7. 701- Processor and controller
8. Alpine DVA 9965 HU (if this is installed, there is no need to spend $ on the 701 controller

Questions:
1. He mentioned that the current active subwoofers under the front seats can be hooked up with the front speaker setup. I asked if that would make the sound better? Didnt get a convincing yes from him. Any one can help here?

2. I was told that the set up (including all installation works with quality cables and wiring) would be for an average sounding car system but that was estimated to cost me the price of a new rolex submariner.:( Is this true or can I get it closer to 4k?

3. I was told that if I wanted to change the HU in my e90, I would need to go ask PML to supply me another HU cover so that he can flush it in my car. Is this true and can I get one from PML?

4. If I want to do it piece meal without blowing a big hole in my pocket at one go, what should be the first things to do logically? I was thinking the following in this order of priority:
a) Front component speakers + 4 channel amp (can someone advise the cost for a decent setup using Lotus Performance component speakers + amp?)
b) Subwoofer + Monoblock (please advise on brand and price range)
c) H701 (don't think i want to buy the controller now as I may change the HU lastly..please tell me the indicative price for this in singapore)
d) HU 9965
e) Rear speakers + Front Centre speakers

5. What is the best place to mount the tweeters in the E90? Cost of beautifying the installation of tweeters?

6. Could I replace the subwoofers in the front seats with a 3-component bass speaker in that position? Was thinking of getting the 3-component speaker and placing the bass in that position.

7. Aside from L-D, could someone please advise me which other installers do excellent work with e-90s and have good tuning expertise? You may pm me with the contact names, numbers and addresses.

I thank you in advance and hope to hear from the experts out there soon.

Have a great weekend!

Anyone can help? :confused:

Recommendations on Installers names/ Retail outlets address/contact numbers would also be appreciated.....

CHeck with iceman on SEAS Lotus.

Go to other shops like Dynasty, Hong Guan etc ....

your setup is gonna cost u a new submariner, yes.

set a budget and work around it.

don't need the rear coaxials. no need rear speakers at all.

mount the tweets on the dashboard.

e90 can go 3-way pretty easily i believe.

DLS A6 is pretty good value if u can get lobang, else abit expensive.

Appreciate the advice matey!

Will go for front component speakers, 4-ch amp, 701, sub and monoblock.

Thanks!

choose the components carefully. Amp also. If you are going active, your 4 channel amp not enough. If u are going 3 way... even more so.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OneTab
Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back