Driving in Sport Mode

Re: Driving in Sport Mode

Forrestgum;855531 said:
Derrick...you seriously need POISON!!

No la, is somehow the system is program differently from E90.
Nvm, i gv up explaining.

What, exactly, is the point of upshifting when your rpm is too low?

davidtch;855578 said:
Isn't this an oxymoron?

precisely...

Derrrick Yap;855606 said:
I give up explaining.

You guys jus like to drag your gear thru out.
I don't think there is any diff. Even on E39, i only get 4th gear on sports mode at 150km/h. Since i nvr go beyond that, i don't know when it will shift to 5th.

i think i give up listening...good luck to u...maybe get a gtr instead..

Last edited:

davidtch;855654 said:
I don't think there is any diff. Even on E39, i only get 4th gear on sports mode at 150km/h. Since i nvr go beyond that, i don't know when it will shift to 5th.

if i remember correctly on my previous e60 6 speeder.. it never shifts in sport mode at 5th till limitered 250..
if will keep going coz it needs to keep the rpm high and i will tell you beyond 220... it is a loooonnnng time to get to 250....with the 3liter lump huuffing and puffing

actually what TS wishes for is the responsiveness of the throttle and gear shift in sport modes all the way to 8th. but to keep at peak torque 8th won't do it

Last edited by a moderator:

Oilman;855615 said:
What, exactly, is the point of upshifting when your rpm is too low?

precisely...if TS is cruising at 50km/hr...will he expect it to upshifts all the way to gear 8th? same logic isnt it? you want the torque and you dont get it at high gears...

Last edited:

zhenlie;855664 said:
precisely...if TS is cruising at 50km/hr...will he expect it to upshifts all the way to gear 8th? same logic isnt it? you want the torque and you dont get it at high gears...
Oh yes, of course... some pple just dont get it and think others don't get it instead :p

In reality, at 8th gear moving at 50kmph... am pretty sure e car will struggle to move smoothly and FC will be worst off... also its why gears has different gear ratio per gear per gearbox type. Every ride has different power/torque band in the rpm range... band we want the rpm to remain when we want to push it and at these band, FC is not going to be good too.

In fact, e chart u posted should give 'noobs' a clear picture for understanding... if they still don't, screw it bcoz they will never understand. E.g. They should try using 5th or 6th gear when the car's speed is below the horizontal line (like on e chart), the car will be jerking like hell and not moving and e engine likely to 'die' requiring a restart, ROFL.

Oh btw Bro, during up-shifting or down-shifting (even in Auto or Sports Mode) the rpm will drop for a split second or so, at the point of gear disengagement before getting into the upper gear. It is during this moment of disengagement, e rpm drops... e rpm will shot back up immediately when e new gear is engaged. We can just observe the rpm when driving under normal Auto or even Sport Mode, it is however very apparent in manuals bcoz it depends on how fast one shifts.
Auto gearbox (plus some in Sports Mode) where rpm does not drop (instead goes upwards) applies during down-shifting since those auto-boxes were made to mimic the 'Heel+Toe' technique in manual gearbox used by racers when they down-shifts.

zhenlie;855664 said:

Think we should try driving our manual cars by starting from 6. MUST hit top gear no matter what!

For auto cars, maybe PML can reprogram the gears to show 8.1, 8.2, 8.3... 8.8. Then every shift is in 8th gear :thumbsup:

Oilman;855770 said:
Think we should try driving our manual cars by starting from 6. MUST hit top gear no matter what!

For auto cars, maybe PML can reprogram the gears to show 8.1, 8.2, 8.3... 8.8. Then every shift is in 8th gear :thumbsup:

Don't la.

I think TS not as bad as that. His profile lists all almost my dream cars.

anyway derrick i think what you mentioned is valid and prob you experienced that in yr previous ride...but is that a 7 or 8 speed gearbox?...you want it to upshift for better cruising...but do see it from another point of view...

recommend that you can drive at sports mode...hit yr targetted speed...set to normal for cruising...then u want the torque response...hit it to sports mode and accelerate...i think cant have best of both world...

cheers and hope you enjoy yr 1er...its a good car...

baazlee;855780 said:
Don't la.

I think TS not as bad as that. His profile lists all almost my dream cars.

It's called tough love :nehnehhh:

sports mode is for a short fling when you feel sian and want to see sonata taxi eye-to-eye when traffic light turn green :lol:
sports+ mode is for tracking :D

99% of my daily driving is on manual mode, I get full control of the upshift & downshift at whatever speed.

I don't know about other model, my X6 can't upshift to 8th gear below 80km/h (his bloody truck is too heavy). I reckon on sport mode, no way it will hit 7th gear on our Sg road.

zhenlie;855782 said:
anyway derrick i think what you mentioned is valid and prob you experienced that in yr previous ride...but is that a 7 or 8 speed gearbox?...you want it to upshift for better cruising...but do see it from another point of view...

recommend that you can drive at sports mode...hit yr targetted speed...set to normal for cruising...then u want the torque response...hit it to sports mode and accelerate...i think cant have best of both world...

cheers and hope you enjoy yr 1er...its a good car...

E90 only 6th speed. DS can goes up to 6th and when power is needed, throttle down and will drop gear to speed up again and this is what i refer to if 1er can do the same but unfortunately it can't.

Anyway, really appreciate your info. Perhap i am not good in writing therefore did not get the msg across well. Perhap during meet up i can explan further. :)

I typically use manual for a quick burst (like what bro wt_know says), but FC will increase (i tracked the increase to 15% !).
Also, tendency to forget abt the manual mode (after slow down), and end up driving @ higher rev (in efficiency).
my take : use manual for pick-up (feels good), and then turn to auto during crusing...

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ok9tools
Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back