Dsc kicks in on slippery slopes?

motorknut

Over the weekend the weather was pretty wet, and I got a shock driving up a car park slope.

It was just as the gantry barrier lifted for me to drive up, and as I stepped on the gas, I saw the dsc yellow light flashing and felt the power cut off. Luckily I managed to step on the brake fast enough cos the hill assist was cut along w the power. I tried to drive up again, same thing. Then I finally switched gears to M1 and accelerated very slowly, and made it up.

I had the dsc light flash briefly again when I was driving up ion's car park the very next day too, but it didn't Cut power.

Should I be concerned about my dsc system? I've never had this happen. I started wondering if it's my CSC tires performing poorly in the wet (I used to have PS2's, now am on CSC3.) or are car parks notoriously slippery when wet? The VW jetta driving behind me didn't seem to have any problems where my car warnings were flashing like a nudist beach party.

Any advice? Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Dsc kicks in on slippery slopes?

happened to me too... mine kicked in on wet basement carpark cemented floor... n i could feel the rear wheels slipping...

I always drift in MBS carpark if it's raining outside and carpark floor is wet. DCS appear like christmas lights.

Normal... My first experience with DSC flashing was in multi-storey carpark with a wet floor. Could feel the rear wheels slipping.

just have fun with it... learn to catch a good steering angle drifting at corner..hahahaha!
wet smooth cemented carpark is hopeless for traction.. DSC helps to reduce fish tail effect if you are making a turn..

zag;706804 said:
just have fun with it... learn to catch a good steering angle drifting at corner..hahahaha!
wet smooth cemented carpark is hopeless for traction.. DSC helps to reduce fish tail effect if you are making a turn..

Well, with the miniscule size of the multi-storey carparks here in Singapore, I'm not sure if I wanna have too much fun with the flashing DSC.... Hahah... My NCD's currently 50% and I intend to keep it that way.... =P

zag;706804 said:

agree.... just zua and have fun spinning your wheels

motorknut;706786 said:
Luckily I managed to step on the brake fast enough cos the hill assist was cut along w the power. I tried to drive up again, same thing. Then I finally switched gears to M1 and accelerated very slowly, and made it up.

Umm... was there a chance the car would roll backwards?

maybe tyre botak?

yes my DSC kicks in when roads are wet also.

Its normal to have dsc cut in. Mine does tat too. My office carpark when wet, trucks, vans or any vehicles with very worn tyres will have trouble scaling the slope. Many a times on a wet rainy day, I see trucks wheel spinning away on the car park ramps and not moving at all.

When I do overtake these vehs, i also have to be very careful. Drifted before. the lights will flash and stuff. Good chance for you to test out your DSC whether its working properly anot.

Dsc is a good thing. Detach u cannot mention "wet" or horfun wil come in thinking Dsc is some sex term

these few days quite wet...

Oilman;706838 said:
Umm... was there a chance the car would roll backwards?
Yes, the car rolled back a little and scared both me and the vw driver behind me. But I stepped o the brakes before anything bad happened. I think he gave me a lot of space when we were climbing.up the slope after that scare. two scares in fact. only managed to ascend the slope ob my third attempt.

so u guys don't think I need better tires? after I parked it dawned on me that I perhaps should have tried pressing the dsc button and activate dtc. that's what they use for winter driving, right?

having fun sliding was not an option here. I was ay risk of sliding back and hitting the car behind me!

motorknut;706906 said:
Yes, the car rolled back a little and scared both me and the vw driver behind me. But I stepped o the brakes before anything bad happened. I think he gave me a lot of space when we were climbing.up the slope after that scare. two scares in fact. only managed to ascend the slope ob my third attempt.

so u guys don't think I need better tires? after I parked it dawned on me that I perhaps should have tried pressing the dsc button and activate dtc. that's what they use for winter driving, right?

having fun sliding was not an option here. I was ay risk of sliding back and hitting the car behind me!

The trick is to pulsate the throttle pedal gently to prevent you from rolling backwards without any control as even with braking on smooth slopes, you still can roll back if it is steep enough. You may still not be able to climb the slope but hopefully it will allow the guy behind you to widen the gap.

You must have very bad tires ha ha ha...

One 'safe' plc to try drifting is the roundabout connecting Fort road and East Coast Park Road... super slippery when wet!

I thought my car got problem too. It happened on a particular area whenever I go over a hump. The light flashed for a while. Sort of relief as this seems normal.

satinGHOST|r!der;706908 said:
The trick is to pulsate the throttle pedal gently to prevent you from rolling backwards without any control as even with braking on smooth slopes, you still can roll back if it is steep enough. You may still not be able to climb the slope but hopefully it will allow the guy behind you to widen the gap.

You must have very bad tires ha ha ha...

But, if u think about it, my tires didn't slip when I applied the brakes. If my tires were that bad, they'd be sliding all over even with the brakes on, right? So I guess the car detected some wheel spin when I tried to accelerate up the slope and dsc kicked in? Maybe I was too heavy on the gas. I'm trying to compare it to cars driving on icy roads. Read that drivers activate dtc when the car refuses to let them even accelerate off.

If it ever happens again, I'll try hitting the dsc button for dtc and feather the gas. But lesson learnt, never follow too close behind another car when the car park floor is wet.

So I was travelling up the same car park slope, and the floor was wet again. sure enough, I tried to accelerate up past the gantry and power cut off.

this time, I activated dtc and kept the revs at 1200. I felt a slight resistance like the wheels were trying to clear a hump (i think that was actually a strip of metal grills for a drainage strip across the lane), but soon crossed it and got up the damn slope without further problems.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
789clubfail

Latest posts

Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back