E36 engine issues - help needed

tjy

Hi all, need some help before I head down to workshops. Would need some inputs before getting workshops to check it out.. had some really bad experience with workshop that tells me to change so many things which is not needed to be changed.. i'm driving a e36 316iM

here's my problem..

1) morning when start the car, the RPM fluctuates from 400 - 1000 rpm and car sometimes seems to be dying already... the rpm will keep going up and down ..

2) even after I drive for like 15 min, when i'm at neutral or with the clutch stepped or when at stop position, my idling again will keep jumping up and down..this only stops after i drive for quite some time... but at times, even driving for 30min, the problem will still occur intermittently.

3) when i'm driving, sometimes when i step on my clutch and let my car freely roll down a slope (even though my speed is like 50-70km/h) my car will drop rpm and dies off.... I will have to stop my car, crank and step on the gas before it comes back to life. If i don't step on gas, it will crank and dies off immediately... this happened to me twice so far...

I have so far cleaned up ICV and Air Flow Sensor at R2D... i'm also using the Volker spark plugs . Been on it for 18k, but was told that it can last much longer than 18k ... Also changed my Air filter.. using stock air filter bought from Eng soon.

Would appreciate your inputs :) Thanks bro !

Re: E36 engine issues - help needed

tjy;446250 said:
I have so far cleaned up ICV and Air Flow Sensor at R2D... i'm also using the Volker spark plugs . Been on it for 18k, but was told that it can last much longer than 18k ... Also changed my Air filter.. using stock air filter bought from Eng soon.

Would appreciate your inputs :) Thanks bro !

Cleaned........... does not mean not spoil.....
I suspect its your Air Flow Sensor that's giving you that problem.....
Check with Ah Teck.... i think he did faced this problem before.... ;)

milk15;446253 said:
Cleaned........... does not mean not spoil.....
I suspect its your Air Flow Sensor that's giving you that problem.....
Check with Ah Teck.... i think he did faced this problem before.... ;)

thanks guni.. :)

Are u the one who fly me aeroplane for 3M car mat & car insurance quote?
i send email & sms all no response. How to help u like tat...

to solve the rpm fluctuation, there is a very good trick to try & confirm, no repair required.

iScoupe;446255 said:
Are u the one who fly me aeroplane for 3M car mat & car insurance quote?
i send email & sms all no response. How to help u like tat...

3M Car MAt????? confirm not me la bro.. i nvr use 3m car mat 1.. i cheapo.. use only 3A type..

Car insurance?? bro sszone say will help me contact you for insurance? but nvr receive email or sms leh ???

got sala person?

tjy;446256 said:
3M Car MAt????? confirm not me la bro.. i nvr use 3m car mat 1.. i cheapo.. use only 3A type..

Car insurance?? bro sszone say will help me contact you for insurance? but nvr receive email or sms leh ???

got sala person?
i was refered to u by sszone, ur email [email protected]? sorry is ///M car mat.
either sszone give me all wrong info.

anyway help u la, for engine fluctuation, do a reset on ur ECU by pressing the odometer & turn ur key, start ur engine & rev to 5000rpm hold for 1-2mins waste a bit fuel but usually things get better but if not the is ur air flow as GUNI mentioned.

iScoupe;446257 said:
i was refered to u by sszone, ur email [email protected]? sorry is ///M car mat.

anyway for engine fluctuation, do a reset on ur ECU by pressing the odometer & turn ur key, start ur engine & rev to 5000rpm hold for 1-2mins waste a bit fuel but usually things get better but if not the is ur air flow as GUNI mentioned.

confirm not me for the ///M car mat ... u coupe .. i sedan lehhh... hehee.. and i noe why u cannot get to me via email.. cuz you got the wrong email for the insurance quote ! -_-|| ..

thanks for the info bro !! gonna try it out later !!

tjy;446258 said:
confirm not me for the ///M car mat ... u coupe .. i sedan lehhh... hehee.. and i noe why u cannot get to me via email.. cuz you got the wrong email for the insurance quote ! -_-|| ..

thanks for the info bro !! gonna try it out later !!
ok sszone fault, give u one chance. u still need buy me coffee if work.
u run the engine after the reset, u know how to re-set right? all the meters shld do a testing & readings coming from the display.

Few issues can cause this. Your air flow meter as well as O2 sensor can cause erratic idling. Vaccum leakage can also cause this.

1. Try disconnecting your AFM to see if the idle will stablise. If so, the problem is likely due to your AFM.

2. If not, try getting a can of carb cleaner and spray near your intake and see if your idle changes. If so, you have a vaccum leak.

3. As for O2 sensor, only way is to change it.

how ur project E39? always looking cool on the road !

futron.sim;446302 said:
Few issues can cause this. Your air flow meter as well as O2 sensor can cause erratic idling. Vaccum leakage can also cause this.

1. Try disconnecting your AFM to see if the idle will stablise. If so, the problem is likely due to your AFM.

2. If not, try getting a can of carb cleaner and spray near your intake and see if your idle changes. If so, you have a vaccum leak.

3. As for O2 sensor, only way is to change it.

bro, disconnect AFM is juz unplug rite?? as for using a carb cleaner and spray near the intake? means i just open up air box.. spray into it ?

Had the problem with my old E36 engine hunting problem as well. Everything went away with a 2nd hand ECU from a workshop called ZEN auto at eunos they do many conti cars there. If you want just do the search with engine hunting to find my old thread hope it helps !

bro, disconnected AFM.. car cannot start leh.. start already immediately die off.. plug back in then alrite... so this means AFM is ok ??

hey tjy, sorry to hear tt. Have the throttle position sensor checked with a voltmeter as well, might be faulty TPS causing the erratic idling.

i got a few times this problem with unstable rpm but after i rev the car, the problem gone. Now I don't get anymore of this with the Q-unichip. Do try consult more workshop first before u change anything, becos if problem still occurs, u still get the bill. Some workshop simply will try an error till they got it.
Did you pump V-power lately?

I had the same problem. Jumpy idle, engine cut out twice on me and I had to tow back to workshop.

It's the MAF sensor. Quick plug into OBD diagnostics should reveal that. Had my fixed up at BVO.

iScoupe;446257 said:

anyway help u la, for engine fluctuation, do a reset on ur ECU by pressing the odometer & turn ur key, start ur engine & rev to 5000rpm hold for 1-2mins waste a bit fuel but usually things get better but if not the is ur air flow as GUNI mentioned.

chow iscowpeh...its tjy lah not tiy....hahaha

tjy;446370 said:
bro, disconnected AFM.. car cannot start leh.. start already immediately die off.. plug back in then alrite... so this means AFM is ok ??

your AFM is butterfly flap type leh....no AFM = no vacuum, of cos engine cannot start and onz lah...keke...

buy me and jackie kopi lor.....we bio for u...hehe

or change to E46 AF straight through , i got one in my car doing nothing ! but not easily to get it done.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
go8868co
Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back