E36 woes < spare me la baby!>

Re: E36 woes < spare me la baby!>

Aaaaarrrhh!!! U peeps are scarin me man! juz got my ride. 2 weeks old. Its an E36 as well. Well at least now i know wat to anticipate. Juz splurged on Timing Belt, Fan Belt and Water Pump. $350 poorer. Sigh. Expensive darling ah this ride....Wat to do...dream machine

nissan = BMW ?? BMW can only corner 100km/hr with one hand , nissan better?

Maybe i lucky buy over from a careful owner who use it for 6yrs..
Agree with wilman, i got mine done up , never break down since i own it, so no complain..

opp;144619 said:
Dudes,

You dont say. Just blew RM 600 on a second hand alternatorwhich went kaput today.

My best car I have ever had was my moms Nissan Sunny 1984. Only pump gas and drive. Once every three months top up oil. 4 years of problem free driving till I warpped it around a tree.

Lousy tree!!!
nissan = BMW ?? BMW can only corner 100km/hr with one hand , nissan better?

Maybe i lucky buy over from a careful owner who use it for 6yrs..
Agree with wilman, i got mine done up , never break down since i own it, so no complain..
maybe mindset, never complain on the car i own, if it kills my pocket like my previous VW golf then I will let go.. but not my E36.

Driving a 10-yr E36 for 1mth+, changed 2 tyres, front brake pads, and is going to change this week: Front Shock Absorber, Front control arm bushing, Engine mounting, Gearbox mounting, Lower arm bush, Lower arm ball joint (long and short), Stabilizer linkage, Press lower arm ball joint. All normal wear-&-tear.
Thought about it last night (when my car is tow away)....and conclude that although I have to spend $$$ to replace old parts, if me and my family is safe with the car, no major accident, etc, that's already a blessing in disguise. Can't ask too much in life, hmm?

Anyone has any idea how much is it to spent on changing all those belts?? Think mine got a nest inside already, baby bird started chirping in the morning!!!

Timing chain won't give such noise rite??

Hahaha.........

dpointt;145306 said:
Anyone has any idea how much is it to spent on changing all those belts?? Think mine got a nest inside already, baby bird started chirping in the morning!!!

Timing chain won't give such noise rite??

Hahaha.........

Juz did mine last weekend...fan belt, a/c belt, 3 pulleys and tensioner. Engine is so quiet and composed now but I am $300 poorer!!

$300 is cheap(+ labour) where did you do it?

hoho updated damages. driver door lock $50 + $100 labour. the door got locked from inside and outside

what??? $150 nia??

bro, where is your workshop??
This is too much of a different compared with mine earlier!!!

sigh..... should start this thread much earllier!!!

pm me if you want the address. I assume yours is a coupe with both doors locked? my is only the driver's door. parts i got it second hand myself :)

gearbox going ah..hmm...i got an auto tranny to let go...dunno if u're interested...

opp;144552 said:
Guys,

There is a price to pay. My 318i E36 these are some of the items changed over 1 1/2 years

1) Radiator
2) 4 sets absorbers
3) Bushes all round
4) Cams 1 set
5) Alternator
6) 2 sets arms rear
7) 1 long shaft
8) 1 aircon compressor
9) Trottle body
10) 4 injectors
11) 1 fuel pump.
12) ABS sensor 4 pcs

Now the gear box is going. Costs around RM 4.5K

Dont let me start on my E39 !!!!!

BMW's are definately the ultimate driving machine.

e36s are nv cheap to maintain...spent almost 10k to do up...6 mths after getting car...

not much probs for my e36 so far...only nagging thing is the stupid engine tapping sound.
the workshop told me it was mostly like the hydraulic lifters, ie the tappets..
tap tap tap tap......going nuts listening to it.
anybody encountered this tapping sound prob b4?

hoho looking like your cylinder head is giving way i service mine before. ard $450 should get you tappetsx8 rocker armsx8 and a camshaft, gasket seal and a timing belt

sszone;145436 said:
not much probs for my e36 so far...only nagging thing is the stupid engine tapping sound.
the workshop told me it was mostly like the hydraulic lifters, ie the tappets..
tap tap tap tap......going nuts listening to it.
anybody encountered this tapping sound prob b4?

Listen to the pitch of the tap, if it's light and high pitched, most likely the lifters but worn hydraulic lifters would be especially noisy on a cold start too. If it's loud and low pitched, it could be worn camshaft lobes. What's your mileage? Lifters shuld need attention around 200+k, camshafts should last a lifetime if oil pressure is healthy and oil is changed regularly.

tsew-C83;145336 said:
$300 is cheap(+ labour) where did you do it?

Oh really, maybe cos he's an old fren of mine....workshop at Alexandra Village.

yup bro, but the only prob is that i have to leave my ride there for 1-2 days.
feels handicapped without my black mistress leh........sianzzz

hi sszone,

mine had a taping sound after i got hold of my ride, upon inspection at BVO, they told me it is a leakage in the exhaust manifold , luckily not a very expensive repair as they basically seal it up which set me back by $130. .. cheers

Dudes,

Just got 2350 poorer just yesterday...:(

I guess that's part ans parcel of owner a old war horse...but it just feels so great driving on a restore war horse!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
i9betbond
Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back