E46 Car Owners

milk15

Juz wondering, any E46 car owners out there interested in E46 330i M54 engine? Me looking for 1 too. I think this engine able to fix on to Z4, X5 3L, E65 and E39..... (If i am not wrong)

Re: E46 Car Owners

What do you want to do, an engine transplant? If you want to change the innards altogether, might as well go straight up to the top and bolt in an S54.

chinjmes;146754 said:
What do you want to do, an engine transplant? If you want to change the innards altogether, might as well go straight up to the top and bolt in an S54.

Fitting a S54 requires alot more work. The whole engine harness is different. Go e46fanatics and look for the S54 transplant thread.

Don't think so need to change the engine harness. Use back my original would be fine..

hi milk...how do you intend to source for the 330 engine...got lobang??

what is the penalty for dropping a bigger cc engine in? fine or jail?

apart from this being illegal, think the engineers didnt just transplant different engines??? tranny, final drive, exhaust, air-intake are just some of the stuff that are different across...

martmode8850;148008 said:
apart from this being illegal, think the engineers didnt just transplant different engines??? tranny, final drive, exhaust, air-intake are just some of the stuff that are different across...

The 320, 325 and 330 range are all M54 engines, all are the same except for the final drive.

hitmee;148000 said:
what is the penalty for dropping a bigger cc engine in? fine or jail?

Cheating road tax... so prolly both...

milk15;147153 said:
Don't think so need to change the engine harness. Use back my original would be fine..

yeap, as long as its a M54....

jaskin;146785 said:
Fitting a S54 requires alot more work. The whole engine harness is different. Go e46fanatics and look for the S54 transplant thread.

Spot on bro... more expensive too... you're looking at 30k right there.

chinjmes;146754 said:

Firstly, not a bolt on... you got more than that to fit the S54 in, prop shaft basically your whole drivetrain. Also alot more work ... so i don't think it can be considered a "bolt on".... that's why most just do a 3L motor swap... more "do-able" and the price diff is a whole lot diff too... you can source a 3L motor for abt 10k, that's 20k cheaper and a whole lot less hassle...

AFAIK there is no visible difference between an m54 2.2L, 2.5L and 3L engine. The engine bays all look the same to me!!

Can someone tell if its a 2.2L or a 3L engine by just looking at the engine bay?

But as for the s54 engine - aaah, thats a different league - differences can be spotted v.v easily. If i'm not wrong, u can only transplant an s54 into an e46 coupe, not a sedan, and u will need to transplant the gearbox, ecu and rear axle along with it - and these are not cheap items.
IMO u're better off just buying an m3.

Yus_E36;148024 said:
AFAIK there is no visible difference between an m54 2.2L, 2.5L and 3L engine. The engine bays all look the same to me!!

Can someone tell if its a 2.2L or a 3L engine by just looking at the engine bay?

But as for the s54 engine - aaah, thats a different league - differences can be spotted v.v easily. If i'm not wrong, u can only transplant an s54 into an e46 coupe, not a sedan, and u will need to transplant the gearbox, ecu and rear axle along with it - and these are not cheap items.
IMO u're better off just buying an m3.

you can do it on both a sedan and coupe,

Nope Yus someone in the US did it on a sedan.
The S54 engine with tranny goes for about US$9K but you probably can't get a US spec on unless you intend on changing headers. The labor charges on the job wil probably kill you.

Unless you're George from MIT.

Yus_E36;148024 said:

The diameter of the pipe leading from the filter box to the engine is bigger on a 3L than on a 2.2 or 2.5L.

No point debating with Shaaz, CBS and Jaskin la.....they all know the tricks, the works and all the shits you can and cannot do with a E46. Even our taiwanese/american george of pasedena did the impossible feat that had munich factory saluting him!

Hi Bros,
I think it's enough for this tread. For further discussion please lim kopi then elaborate in details.
C U in Kopitiam.

wow, alot of work needs to be done....

search mite46 @ e46fanatics.com

good luck in your quest....

BlackStealth;148067 said:
No point debating with Shaaz, CBS and Jaskin la.....they all know the tricks, the works and all the shits you can and cannot do with a E46. Even our taiwanese/american george of pasedena did the impossible feat that had munich factory saluting him!

walau.. who else but you taught me the ways... hur hur hur...

BlackStealth;148067 said:

We humbly bow down before you, old Jedi Master...

dave;148084 said:
Hi Bros,
I think it's enough for this tread. For further discussion please lim kopi then talk.
C U in Kopitiam.

Hi bro

Other than the monthly meetup, where do you guys meet these days for lim kopi? Still at Simpang?

Simpang is the thing of the past tho occasionally some lowlifers like MW and ACSCAB3 are still there..

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nohu90tax

Latest posts

Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back