E60 A/C problem. It is common fault?

waltergoh

When started, and at idle, the a/c blows out air that is not chilled, even though my a/c settings for both sides are at 18 degrees. After driving it around for 5 mins or so, or getting up to highway speeds, cold air comes out and everything operates as usual. Everything functions as it should after those first few minutes, and the a/c will gladly pump out very cold air at the coldest settings.

I read in some posting that Actually, according to experts there is a valve in the compressor which controls the pressure of the gas being pumped in the system. As time goes by, there is a deterioration of this valve and the compressor is not able to pump the gas efficiently around the system quickly.

Normally, it should take about less than a minute before you feel cold air. Another symptom is during traffic jams or stationary periods; the air will start becoming warm as there is not enough pressure to push the gas around the system.

( Is the above statement True? Is this a common fault In E60?)
Can anyone verify?

Re: E60 A/C problem. It is common fault?

E90 - 2.5yrs

Same symptom... hot air first, then cold air.....

my previous e60 back in late 2003 doesn't blow hot air at A/C power on.. but my current ride 5 months old e90 blows hot air in the first 30 secs... i guess the latest a/c behaves the same then...

I think its just that the air con internals are hot. Well, actually, its 'climate control', which I was told before tends to slowly cool rather than send cold air until the driver/passenger is comfortable.

I think 90% of the time, air con is a more appropriate feature for our kind of climate, plus its a cheaper option than 'climate control'.

I too have this problem and sometimes even after 10 mins of driving, its still hot, But after 15mins or so, it usually cools down.

I have the same problem a year back and have it fixed. Cant remember exactly what was changed but this is definitely not normal.

eldwin;435438 said:
I have the same problem a year back and have it fixed. Cant remember exactly what was changed but this is definitely not normal.

in the past, I usually open bonnet n chk it with air-con mechanics n discuss problem.
today's car, like BMW, with over hundreds of sensors...guess just hv to send in for access..or to BMW recommended workshop.
if yr air-con hasn't been service for 2yr, maybe u shld consider a trip down to chk it by mechanics, same time get rid of the foul smell if it has (condensor always mouldy)
Mine is 1/2yr old, so far ok.

I went to this aircon shop at sin ming recommended by few forumer here. The towkay recommended I keep the car tempreature at the coldest and only change the fan speed. He said this is the main cause for the few minutes of initial hot air problem.

Found it!!!!

Moto-aire is located Block 7, Sin Ming Road #01-88. Look for Ah Chuan 9660 4911

interesting....what is the logic f doing this?

my limited understanding is that to lower the aircon tempreature, the car actually produces warm/hot air to "mix" with the cold air. its is this production of warm air that lead to this issue over time. (i stand to be corrected)

eldwin;435469 said:
I went to this aircon shop at sin ming recommended by few forumer here. The towkay recommended I keep the car tempreature at the coldest and only change the fan speed. He said this is the main cause for the few minutes of initial hot air problem.

Did the towkay explain the logic behind this?

Given ours are climate control systems.
I used to think this was how it worked - could be wrong...

If you set it to the coldest (i.e. 18degC)
The compressor when started would overload itself
fighting to get the ambient temps down the the target 18degC
Which usually from a hot 30degC car is no mean feat..

So I usually set it to somewhere moderate, like 24degC to start.

Again.
My logic could be way way off base.

But would be good to know, and learn...
If colder is better then colder it is!

:)

not really paying attention when he was explaining to me :p

But my impression was something along that line....stand to be corrected as well.

How old's your car? Mine had the same problems as you for a while, and before I knew it, it was blowing only hot air the whole day. Sent it in to PML, changed the compressor. So be prepared....The compressor may be on its way out

waltergoh;435393 said:
When started, and at idle, the a/c blows out air that is not chilled, even though my a/c settings for both sides are at 18 degrees. After driving it around for 5 mins or so, or getting up to highway speeds, cold air comes out and everything operates as usual. Everything functions as it should after those first few minutes, and the a/c will gladly pump out very cold air at the coldest settings.

I read in some posting that Actually, according to experts there is a valve in the compressor which controls the pressure of the gas being pumped in the system. As time goes by, there is a deterioration of this valve and the compressor is not able to pump the gas efficiently around the system quickly.

Normally, it should take about less than a minute before you feel cold air. Another symptom is during traffic jams or stationary periods; the air will start becoming warm as there is not enough pressure to push the gas around the system.

( Is the above statement True? Is this a common fault In E60?)
Can anyone verify?

pufferfish;435612 said:
How old's your car? Mine had the same problems as you for a while, and before I knew it, it was blowing only hot air the whole day. Sent it in to PML, changed the compressor. So be prepared....The compressor may be on its way out
It seems that whenever air-con has an issue like blowing hot air etc, PML always pinned down the fault of the air con compressor. Really not sure if they are telling us the right solution or just a convienent way to resolve the problem. I suggest going to outside workshops to get a second opinion

Hi guys,

Need some help here pls!!

Today something unusual happen to my E60 .

When I start the engine, the aircon started and the blower to the feet just keeps blowing out air and I can't seem to stop it. Even I turn off the engine , the blower keeps blowing non stop , until I had to remove the battery cable and pluck it back that the blower stops.

Any one encounter this problem below? Pls advise.

Tks
Cheong

How to stop staring at my laptop screen?

Hi, I just have one wish, to unplug from the web and come back into the real life! Where is my blue pill?
I'm a 21 years old massagist from NY, and when I come back after work, tiered from standing all day long, I just turn on my laptop, and suddenly, it's 2 am. How do you manage to keep your offline life, when you have a pc at home?
My obssesion is icq, blogs, myspace and any web place where you can meet interesting people. Forums are new to me, but I thought to give it a try.

ps: I'm a total newbee at forums, so I'm sorry if posted in the wrong place, just got here and saw this one.. Please be kind to show me the right place where you can just talk with people.

waltergoh;435393 said:
When started, and at idle, the a/c blows out air that is not chilled, even though my a/c settings for both sides are at 18 degrees.
First we must understand how the cool air works. The cool air temperature drops from room temperature to 18 degrees Celcius slowly and not immediately. So no point adjusting to 18 degree Celcius. 24 degree Celcius should be around the optimum temperature.

waltergoh;435393 said:
After driving it around for 5 mins or so, or getting up to highway speeds, cold air comes out and everything operates as usual. Everything functions as it should after those first few minutes, and the a/c will gladly pump out very cold air at the coldest settings.
This tells you that the expansion valve and compressor have no problem. Otherwise, it will not produce the cool air.

waltergoh;435393 said:
This tells you that your condensor might not have enough air ventilation, which might be caused by dirt sticking to the condensor. You can check your condensor and the air con fan as well. This might help you solve the problem.

is it normal for the car to churn out hot air (even without turning on the aircon) after parking the car under the hot sun or 10mins after shutting of the engine?

My aircon very smelly when switched on for first 8 secs. Yes I timed it. No, I didn't smoke in the car. Yes I do fart in the car sometimes.

BVO told me must change carbon filter. I initially thot aircon must change to carbon fibre.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tk88betcomvn
Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back