E90 318 with 335 engine mounts

Re: E90 318 with 335 engine mounts

R2D;581236 said:
Going back to science, the black plastic has 2 main functions of heat transfer. There is conduction and radiation. Convection does not exist as the medium does not move. So although plastics are already relatively good insulators of heat, the black surfaces readily adsorbs heat and radiate heat. We insulate the plastic against this absorbstion with a silver aluminium foil that is backed by fiberglass wool. Why only the air box? Cos the air box is the largest volume, compared to the tubes leading to and from the box, which means the air speed drastically slows down to allow it to pass through the air filter. Hence when it slows down, there is alot of time for the radiant heat to interact with the air, thus heating it up.

Why do engine mounts affect performance. All engines produced a fixed amount of power/torque. If your engine rocks when you rev, the energy has to come from the crankshaft. And this means that there is less going down to your transmission and driveshaft. with stiffer mounts, less torque is lost to engine movement.

There is a drawback though, that is you get slightly more vibration going into the cabin.

cheers

Btw, I'm still smiling whenever I'm driving my car. The mods have increased the JOY factor tenfold.
Till now my wife & son has not notice the slight vibration fm the stiffer mounts.

Re: E90 318 with 335 engine mounts

Jason8822;581191 said:
Darryl,

Now then i know R2D opens during daytime too !!!!
Can save me from lengthy drive to SIN MING to cure my car of minor hiccups in the future.

Jason

Looks like R2D might go 24 / 7 ya...........(24hrs) 3 shift instead of now 2 shift

cheers

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
i9betstoday

Latest posts

Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back