E90 320i boot no "cushioning " when closed

Re: E90 320i boot no "cushioning " when closed

Yeah I know. Thinking on the bright side, without this great forum & this useful thread, it will probably cost much more.

stiffzzzz;1058191 said:
Yeah I know. Thinking on the bright side, without this great forum & this useful thread, it will probably cost much more.

Typical Singaporean mah.... must grumble a bit wor.... hahaha

stiffzzzz;1058141 said:
Just did it: S$64.20 for a pair incl gst (OEM Germany). Works great! The new ones will come with the new clips intact. I suppose then it does not really matter if the old clip did fly out, except if it hits you or someone - do be extra careful (especially with the eyes!!). Be firm and pry it open bit by bit. Once the top & bottom joints become loose enough, you'll be able to detach the whole thing by pulling away from the ball joints, one joint at a time. Fit the new ones in and push, it'll snap right into place. Once you buy the new springs, examine the clip joint closely & you'll have a better idea of how the clip works.

Are the spring clips only on the top joint of the damper or on both top and bottom?

stiffzzzz;1058141 said:
Just did it: S$64.20 for a pair incl gst (OEM Germany). Works great! The new ones will come with the new clips intact. I suppose then it does not really matter if the old clip did fly out, except if it hits you or someone - do be extra careful (especially with the eyes!!). Be firm and pry it open bit by bit. Once the top & bottom joints become loose enough, you'll be able to detach the whole thing by pulling away from the ball joints, one joint at a time. Fit the new ones in and push, it'll snap right into place. Once you buy the new springs, examine the clip joint closely & you'll have a better idea of how the clip works.

Bro when did you buy it?i went down two weeks ago and they told me no stock.Have paid in full and waiting for their call when stock comes in,they say probably after new year.

easy;1058195 said:
Are the spring clips only on the top joint of the damper or on both top and bottom?

The clips are on both top & bottom.

daz3;1058206 said:
Bro when did you buy it?i went down two weeks ago and they told me no stock.Have paid in full and waiting for their call when stock comes in,they say probably after new year.

Bought yesterday. Probably just arrived. Perhaps you can call them instead.

stiffzzzz;1058216 said:

Hi , bought a pair from eng soon 3 days back. Now much better as boot not slamming when closing. Cheers

stiffzzzz;1058216 said:

Thanks bro,just collected mine from eng soon.Will fix it up tomorrow

satomi;1058279 said:
Hi , bought a pair from eng soon 3 days back. Now much better as boot not slamming when closing. Cheers

Yes, it's definitely worth the effort. Feels as good as new.

lkm;1058295 said:
I went to Eng Soon a couple of weeks back and they were out of stock. So I just got it from eBay - approx $40 per pair, shipped. Search for the keyword "Rear Trunk Shock Gas Pressurized Support Damper Strut Lid for BMW E90". DIY'ed myself - 5 minute job. Now I have a boot with a new feel! Haha!

Rear Trunk Shock GAS Pressurized Support Damper Strut LID FOR BMW E90 | eBay

Good contribution by bro lkm. Will definitely help other bros to save some money!

For those who experience and are unhappy with the following symptoms: (1) opening up boot lid after unlock is a "heavy" experience (2) closing boot lid is quite fast and easy to slam down - I can confirm that changing your boot struts will solve the problem. Got mine from Eng Soon and installed at CP. Now when boot is unlocked and you raise it about 15-20 degrees, the lid will auto open out to its fullest extent i.e. boot opening is much easier. As expected for boot closure you need to bring lid almost all the way down before it will complete the action and close with a satisfying thud and not a heart wrenching slam. In conclusion, worn out boot struts make opening lid difficult but closing (too) easy, whilst new struts make opening easy (almost as easy as autotrunk open) but closing more slow and controlled.

Last edited by a moderator:

I took out the boot struts/dampers and found that they are positioned inverted/opposite from each other.

I just need to confirm if that placement is correct. Any anyone help me on this?

tanwzhang;1058859 said:
I took out the boot struts/dampers and found that they are positioned inverted/opposite from each other.

I just need to confirm if that placement is correct. Any anyone help me on this?

Both struts should have the thicker part on top.

oh crap!

I am going down now to change them to the correct position.

Thanks daz3. :)

tanwzhang;1058864 said:
oh crap!

I am going down now to change them to the correct position.

Thanks daz3. :)

No prob bro,just be real careful not to loose the locking clips.

chanced upon this and remember that i have a set of this around. bought it when i wanted to do the auto trunk recommended by the other thread in this forum; but didnt manage to go ahead because installer stopped doing for all e90s.

does anyone need one?
letting off at 40. brand new oem from eng soon, bought at 60.
drop me a note at 8.6.5.1.0.5.0.7 if keen. thank you

I got the same problem. Anyone selling theirs? Does the oem damper works? Got mine from one of the stockist n it does not work and says it is original some more.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shirishop
Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back