E90 320i engine top overhaul

Re: E90 320i engine top overhaul

Tks, tat's wat i hope to achieve......for the last 6 mths.... has been replacing seal and gasket for leaks ...and till now cannot see leak and they suggest leak inside engine.....really hope can find a good ws who can spot the problem.

firehorse;783708 said:
Tks, tat's wat i hope to achieve......for the last 6 mths.... has been replacing seal and gasket for leaks ...and till now cannot see leak and they suggest leak inside engine.....really hope can find a good ws who can spot the problem.

Hi Firehorse,

did you try any of the site sponsors workshop?

cheers

yes the top overhail was suggested by 2 of the site sponsors.... all the replacing of seals & gaskets over last 6mths also done at both site sponsor

Hi bro, try to ask workshop to do a compression test before pinpointing if it's top overhaul required.

firehorse;783718 said:
yes the top overhail was suggested by 2 of the site sponsors.... all the replacing of seals & gaskets over last 6mths also done at both site sponsor

wt_know;783704 said:
well said. it's not about willing to spend a few k to overhaul.
must fix the right spot!

there's one thing u guys should note.
regardless of branded workshops or no name workshops, site sponsor or non-site sponsor, i have noticed alot of them are not willing to spend alot of time to troubleshoot and narrow down the problem, probably due to time constraints and commercial viability.
thus, alot will tell u to try sop things. if problem is solved, good for us but if not, u are few ks poorer while they can only tell u sorry, it must be something else, lets try again.

at the back of my mind, i can only think of 2 guys who will probably go dig n find out the real problem.....thats mike of kian teong @ sin ming and rodney.....both will go read up one hor.....haha

just my 2 cents

delrosa81;783637 said:
Errrr approx 120k++km at 4.3yrs old, is it very high? Yeah, giving me alot of problems since late last yr till now. Every month sure have some new problem to repair.....very headache.

Went to view the Red F30 on display yesterday......seems more spacious compared to E90 but now cars so exp......must tahan!!! lol

Quite high leh :) My E90 mileage was about 12,000 km a year so I only encountered the water pump failure and the very loud radiator fan problem up to the time i sold it at 4.5 years old (about 53,000 km). Brakes never had to change.

The annoying problems seem to start to kicking in one after another after 80,000 km. Hope no more bills coming your way for a while after this round man!

A bit hard to accept paying over 200k for entry level 3 series leh.... heart pain!

Top overhaul can only change out the seal and for the valves and other. If the piston ring and the piston are worn out then the top overhaul won't help much for this.

I had this problem for both my E46 and E60 before. Just done the engine overhaul for E46 and change out all four piston and rings. Now still running in the engine and I strongly believe the oil eating problem will be solve. My mileage is 220K when overhaul.

Try go to R2D and seek for Rodney advise.

firehorse;783708 said:

can you pls ask whichever kukubird who told you "leak Inside" - ask him where the engine oil goes after "leaking inside"?

oil has to go somewhere right?

if it's leaking due to gaskets and seals, there will be oil stains outside the engine.

no stains means you engine is burning oil...

there is no such thing as "leak inside" - how does the oil magically disappear?

pls go to rodney from R2d and ask him to explain to you what's happening. i've seen the evidence with my own eyes.

... you can thank me later...

cyrus271;783863 said:
Quite high leh :) My E90 mileage was about 12,000 km a year so I only encountered the water pump failure and the very loud radiator fan problem up to the time i sold it at 4.5 years old (about 53,000 km). Brakes never had to change.

The annoying problems seem to start to kicking in one after another after 80,000 km. Hope no more bills coming your way for a while after this round man!

A bit hard to accept paying over 200k for entry level 3 series leh.... heart pain!

Oic, hee hee cos Im outdoor sales, so I run around quite a fair bit. I changed out like 4 sets of brake rotors and brake pads which I find quite strange. I tot usually 2 sets of brake pads to 1 set of disc rotors but the workshops I went to always recommended me to change out the rotors as well and I also saw the rotors are quite well used, as in deep grooves on the rotors.

I guess there are quite a fair bit more items that require replacement....sighs....

Yup I agree! Just 2 years back, an E90 335i was going for 194k after discount, now the F30 335i is going for 270K.....wow! What a big difference. Should have taken the plunge then.....now regret is too late......haa haa......

if it's leaking inside then your piston rings need to be replaced.. that's a full overhaul imho...

What are the symtoms of worn piston rings? Other than excessive engine oil consumption?

Power Loss?

Taken from Symptoms of Fried Piston Rings - CarsDirect

Common Symptoms of Damaged Piston Rings

Problems with your car engine's piston rings often display symptoms or signs that are similar to other problems with low compression in a vehicle. While the following symptoms are not always attributed to faulty piston rings, they are a good indicator that you should check the rings for wear and to see if they need to be replaced. Here is a list of the most common symptoms for bad piston rings:

White or gray exhaust smoke
Excessive oil consumption
Low power for acceleration
Overall loss of power or poor performance

If you believe your vehicle has faulty piston rings, or if your vehicle is displaying any of the above mentioned symptoms, you will need to have a compression test run on your car's engine. A compression test involves removing one of the spark plugs from your engine and trying to start the engine with a compression gauge attached to the cylinder where the plug has been removed. You can purchase a compression gauge and do the test yourself, or you can take the vehicle to a certified mechanic for an engine diagnosis.

Beg to differ a cant be that so many cars experiencing worn piston rings.

More likely due to long service intervals leading to sludge build-up. Have seen so many cases in the workshops...

This leads to bigger problems...

Bring your car to a reliable workshop and get it sorted out once and for all instead of guessing what's wrong...

I mean if your mechanic says it's "leaking inside" there can only be a few things leaking...

Gaskets? check for oil in coolant
Valves, etc. - top overhaul
Piston ring - full overhaul

BTW if a girl says she's leaking inside, no need to overhaul hor

thanks for all the replies...... still monitoring the oil drop from 2days ago top-up.

my car driving performance no issue, still drive smooth and don't feel any loss of power at all.
(tat's why want to solve the engine oil issue and keep the car going)

will definitely seek opinion from other workshops as recommended by some brothers here.

firehorse;784365 said:
thanks for all the replies...... still monitoring the oil drop from 2days ago top-up.

my car driving performance no issue, still drive smooth and don't feel any loss of power at all.
(tat's why want to solve the engine oil issue and keep the car going)

will definitely seek opinion from other workshops as recommended by some brothers here.

Do keep us updated and Im monitoring my engine oil consumption also. Mine drives well as well so I think keeping it would it alright also.

delrosa81;784205 said:
Oic, hee hee cos Im outdoor sales, so I run around quite a fair bit. I changed out like 4 sets of brake rotors and brake pads which I find quite strange. I tot usually 2 sets of brake pads to 1 set of disc rotors but the workshops I went to always recommended me to change out the rotors as well and I also saw the rotors are quite well used, as in deep grooves on the rotors.

I guess there are quite a fair bit more items that require replacement....sighs....

Yup I agree! Just 2 years back, an E90 335i was going for 194k after discount, now the F30 335i is going for 270K.....wow! What a big difference. Should have taken the plunge then.....now regret is too late......haa haa......

Yes I was told the usual rule of thumb is change rotors every other pad change. With my current ride, the dealer's SOP is to change rotors with pads everytime - front and back = almost $3k a pop. Nearly fainted when i was told... For stock brakes i've not encountered better than BMW brakes so far.

Hindsight is a great thing - i would have kept my ex-ex-ride (a Lancer) and driven it to death as a work horse - probably cheaper than taking cabs!

cyrus271;784402 said:
Yes I was told the usual rule of thumb is change rotors every other pad change. With my current ride, the dealer's SOP is to change rotors with pads everytime - front and back = almost $3k a pop. Nearly fainted when i was told... For stock brakes i've not encountered better than BMW brakes so far.

Hindsight is a great thing - i would have kept my ex-ex-ride (a Lancer) and driven it to death as a work horse - probably cheaper than taking cabs!

Oic, seems quite high wear rate for the rotors as well. And yes, I fully agree with you on BMW's stock brakes. The best I have ever used. Very reassuring grip and braking feel.

Yeah, but then this is life, so we cant always make correct and perfect decisions, guess this is part and parcel of life.

Cheers and have a nice day :)

What is the chance of getting high repair cost for a used 5 yr E90?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ae8888tech
Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back