e90 325 or e90 330 or used m3

Re: e90 325 or e90 330 or used m3

totoseow said:
yes zag...but in real life the GTI is faster than paper. probably in the 6.5sec

ok UK magazine tested and quoted 0-60mph at 6.7 secs! Looks like VW is more conservative in their paper specs...
http://www.volkswagen.co.uk/assets/pdf/gti_review_comp_1-3.pdf

Wait a minute US Car Road and Track (ok.. some biased magazine may be) tested the 330i and clock 6.2 secs for 0-60mph?!
http://www.roadandtrack.com/article.asp?print_page=y&section_id=3&article_id=2476&page_number=1

so which paper do we go for or go by seat of our pants?

T6 said:
Haha, this is Google's thread. We are just trying to confuse him further by maybe suggesting a further option of the GTi too (And yes, the Golf R32 you asking abt is coming in 4mths time at quite a reasonable price too).

Yup. We OT like crazy oredi....

I suggest getting used M3 for now to let the new E90 settle down first. Unless 4 doors and space is gonna be priority 1. It is better to get the M3 now cos the E90 M3 is gonna be a 8cyl 4L monster. The 6Cyl S54 is an award winner and is less painful on the wallet.

A straight 6 Cyl engine is still the most balanced engine less a boxer configuration. Me vote for EMMTREE

Go M Power!!!

Google
Let me make it easy for you now....

If u want a fast/poweful car and u can live with 2dr coupe (rear can seat 3 people quite comfortably too) then M3 is the choice

If u dont want 2 dr car, then 330 is the choice...wait for a couple of years then u will get after mkt tuners to monsterize your cars. .Swee2x

Bottom line is , they are very different cars and u hv to be clear of what u priotize first

It's alot more difficult if u ask me should I buy E90 M3 or Porsche 997 GT3 next time

TripleM said:
Google
Let me make it easy for you now....

If u want a fast/poweful car and u can live with 2dr coupe (rear can seat 3 people quite comfortably too) then M3 is the choice

If u dont want 2 dr car, then 330 is the choice...wait for a couple of years then u will get after mkt tuners to monsterize your cars. .Swee2x

Bottom line is , they are very different cars and u hv to be clear of what u priotize first

It's alot more difficult if u ask me should I buy E90 M3 or Porsche 997 GT3 next time

Jack, GT3. Enough said. :lol2:

yo guys thanks for the input.ya typo error my head not thinking properly at 1am in the morning of course 530 not more powerful than 330..haha.

continue to ot on the gti i dont mind.

maybe gti is really an option here...
gti 120k only ..on par with 330i whoa me keen on it now.

i buy gti save 80k then can use for down payment for the next gen udm and for the time being i can keep my current 318.

dont know why but i dont like second hand cars.

can the guys who brought gti over their udm come out and share share thanks.

hows the comfort and driver feeling like.
how many horses now and what mod potential.

thanks

zag said:
ok UK magazine tested and quoted 0-60mph at 6.7 secs! Looks like VW is more conservative in their paper specs...
http://www.volkswagen.co.uk/assets/pdf/gti_review_comp_1-3.pdf

Wait a minute US Car Road and Track (ok.. some biased magazine may be) tested the 330i and clock 6.2 secs for 0-60mph?!
http://www.roadandtrack.com/article.asp?print_page=y&section_id=3&article_id=2476&page_number=1

so which paper do we go for or go by seat of our pants?

Simple. UK mag Quoted 0-60mph for VW which is 0-96kmh in 6.7s.
US mag quoted 0-60mph for 330i which is 0-96kmh in 6.2s.
Local watever mag or dealer specs all quoted 0-100kmh. got it?

Snail_Mobile said:
Simple. UK mag Quoted 0-60mph for VW which is 0-96kmh in 6.7s.
US mag quoted 0-60mph for 330i which is 0-96kmh in 6.2s.
Local watever mag or dealer specs all quoted 0-100kmh. got it?

you missed the point totally.... give and take the point is i can't find any road test that tells me the gti is faster than the 330i in century sprint. Forumers here claim it felt faster and all that by seat of their pants and some torque/bhp/weight/gear analysis??

Ok just check with pervious issue of EVO Car mag, this is the stock specs;

E90 330i (manual/Auto) 258bhp, 300Nm
0-60 mph : 6.4sec , 6.6 sec (auto)
0-100 mph : 17sec, 17.4sec (auto)
Weight 1558kg for manual, autobox shld be heavier
Cost : Sing $199k est.

VW GTI DSG 200bhp, 280Nm
0-60 mph : 6.7sec
0-100 mph : 17.6sec
Weight 1350kg
Cost : Sing $118k est.

MINI Cooper S (JCW kitted) Manual 210bhp, 255Nm
0-60 mph : 6.6sec
0-100 mph : 17.4sec
Weight 1140kg
Cost : 134k est with JCW kitted & tunned.

In short, since all the 330i here is autobox, the GTI will keep up still 160km/h, beyond that the 330i will slowly but surely crawl forward...................Based on the above fact, the MINI with JCW kitted being the lightest in this comparsion will have a advantage till 160km/h beyond that, 330i should be able to crawl forward too..........For value for money and modd protential, VW GTi will be the car to get. For luxury sport saloon and sob appeal, 330i wins hand down.

Cheers!

Sry for over-looking ur point. Limpeh angmo fail big time la..

In short, the Gti had nvr been faster den the 330i, its only the driver's feeling as the Gti is a lighter car tat make them feels faster tats all.

BMW is in gd build and much more stable/controlable den the VW. jus by the butt feel which is individual doesn't means anything.

google said:
can the guys who brought gti over their udm come out and share share thanks.

hows the comfort and driver feeling like.
how many horses now and what mod potential.

thanks

GTi is front wheel driven. The handling is pretty good but not as good as the 330. I think both are equally fast in terms of acceleration. You won't have much of a chance getting to top whack in Singapore anyway so I guess its the low end torque that counts.

GTi has lots more low end torque as compared to 330 but then again you don't really need to rev the hell out of the 330 to get into the torque band.

All in all, I'd still prefer a 330 even though its an $80k premium.

But then I'd just get an M3 if I were in your position but I do share the same feeling about getting a used car:lol2: :lol2: :lol2: :yummie:

T6 said:
Whisky,

On the Sepang track, is there real opportunity for the 330i to max its performance in terms of power? Or will the short burst of a GTi be gd enuff. I think the GTi has pretty flat torque curve from 1800 rpm to 5000 rpm.

Of course the 330i will max out its engine performance given the 2 long straights. Where speed can reach as high as 350kph from a F1 and 250kph from a 911 Turbo.

The GTi engine will max out earlier given its lower hp and smaller displacement. But when the GTi is modded, it will sure be faster and driveable.

Its depends on the driver whether he wants to max out the car.

Handling wise, the GTi will be better than 330i becos its 200kg lighter and shorter wheel base. Same mods done on the suspension and camber/Toe together with the 330i, GTi will still out perform the 330i at corners.

But dun forget, rear wheel drive will have more control than a front wheel drive when mishap happens.

I bet on the GTi on track.

one things for sure. if you get the gti, service will be just as "good" from C&C music factory as PMLs.

ha i like that...c & c music factory!

OT
remember "(Everybody Dance Now)," "Here We Go," "Things That Make You Go Hmmmm..."
wow seems so long ago.....
end OT

Snail_Mobile said:

In short, the Gti had nvr been faster den the 330i, its only the driver's feeling as the Gti is a lighter car tat make them feels faster tats all.

BMW is in gd build and much more stable/controlable den the VW. jus by the butt feel which is individual doesn't means anything.

Sorry broy, i beg to differ, a close buddy of mine owns the GTI and i can say these chaps have clocked easily in excess 250kph ...thats been done i know, one of the other guy even went upto 260+ on NSH and they both felt the car is stable. I havent done 250kph yet. Do our cars have speed cut at 250kph ??

We've done numerous illegal sprints before..oops, and the GTI beats me up altho i have an e46 330i SMG !! maybe the e90 might stand a better chance as thats 6 speed and more horses !

Rastaman said:
Sorry broy, i beg to differ, a close buddy of mine owns the GTI and i can say these chaps have clocked easily in excess 250kph ...thats been done i know, one of the other guy even went upto 260+ on NSH and they both felt the car is stable. I havent done 250kph yet. Do our cars have speed cut at 250kph ??

We've done numerous illegal sprints before..oops, and the GTI beats me up altho i have an e46 330i SMG !! maybe the e90 might stand a better chance as thats 6 speed and more horses !

actually the whole discussion was about 2005 Golf GTI vs. 2005 e90 330i... no surprise if the gti will cane the e46 330i big time. although i am curious if yr friend with gti can pull away from you with ease or not during the sprint.

Snail_Mobile said:

No lah, should be looking at Nm/kg number ... both cars nearly the same.
But GTi torque curve very flat and begins from low-down 1800 rpm.

Thus from launch, GTi will definitely scoot off first.
Nearer the backend (top speed), that's where the BHP/kg advantage of the 330i will boil over and it will start to cover perhaps some distance ... but only because NA rpms near red line play a more significant part than TC setups.

But that's only the straight-line story.

Round bends, the shorter-WB GTi, coupled with its lighter 4-pot engine will ensure that the GTi stays in front of the 330i - which is disadvantaged by its longer-WB and heavier IL-6 engine.

Bottom line - it depends on the race course. The GTi will win if there are less long straights. On mountain roads and 99-bends type ... no fight ... GTi wins hands down.

But here's the final take ... being TC, the GTi has higher 'modability' ... not just ECU re-chips but tuners have ability to bring it up to Stage 2 or Stage 3 mods which will place it beyond the league of the 330i.

Unfortunately there is only so much one can go on NA engine mods, w/o slapping in a SC unit.

T6 said:
If your budget is $200k and u want power, you can discount the 325i. Bros who have test-driven the 325i vs the 330i all said they are worlds apart.

I don't quite agree with the statement that the 325i and the 330i are worlds apart. I have recently acquired the E90:325i and also went for the ADT using the E90:330i and I don't find much difference as far as performance is concerned. Of course on paper there is a 40 bhp and a 50 Nm torque difference. The short test drive is not enough to experience the charm of the new 218 bhp of the 325i. Then of course if you have the budget of S$200k, why think of the 325i.

Hi Google,
I've Driven ALL the cars u r auditioning.....The 325 is an excellent car in its own right-u will find no road long enuf in singapore to run it to its max.However it will loose some of its torque towards its max powerband...that is if u notice it!
I own a 330 CIS(i'm addicted to power) and its engine is simply out of this world compared to anyother 3 litre n.a engine out there(M54).Its based on the E36 M3 EVO engine and detuned a lot for emmision/noise and other stupid regulations.Its got a very FLAT TORQUE CURVE which makes it power available/usable even from low rpms to its redline.Basically u can run this engine at redline ALL the way and it wont run out of juice!(I've tested it)The E90 has a slightly more powerfull engine but note that the coupe & sedan configurations are completely different.The E90 coupe is not due till next year.
I take it u r not serious about Tracking- its an expensive hobby-but for that u need a racing car which is an M3.

the e46 M3 is a completely different animal- its very rough(rougher than a 911!)and has an extremely high revving engine(8000+).Actually a fantastic racing car(one of the best i've ever driven so far)Power is Crazy!possibly the best coupe around(lets not discuss csl)However if u buying 2nd hand please carefully check it wit professional-There have been cases of engine blowouts-very expensive-they r high performance engines that need care.This reply is however my opinion, decision is yours-dont take my word for it -Go test drive b4 u buy- all the best Goggle.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BettyLockwood
Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back