E90 Car door lock problem

aventus

Hi Guys,

Just wanna share with you a very common problem for E90, car door lock and it's possible causes and solutions.

Recently my driver door lock is not working and I went to my workshop to check what's the problem. They said if there's only one door lock not working, most likely is the door actuator of that door. If it's all door not working, it will be your central lock fuse or your key fob .

So I went to Eng Soon to buy one actuator at $120 and went back to my workshop to replace at $100 service fee. Total $220.

Door working as new after that.

Re: E90 Car door lock problem

hi, just to share some pics of the parts which i changed. same problem as aventus

IMG_1208.jpg

this is the old damaged actuator

IMG_1209.jpg

this is the location of the actuator

IMG_1210.jpg

this is the brand new actuator

My driver door lock just broke down suddenly over the weekend.

Driver door can lock, but it wouldn't unlock with the remote, gotta use the key to manually open driver side door now to enter.

All 3 other doors are locking and unlocking fine.

Either door actuator is failing, or some other parts, but weird it can lock but not unlock so something appears to be "broken".

Ah well, will bring it to workshop to get it fixed but uncertain if i should go buy the door actuator in case it's just simple fix.

canuck78;924484 said:

Driver door can lock, but it wouldn't unlock with the remote, gotta use the key to manually open driver side door now to enter.

Either door actuator is failing, or some other parts, but weird it can lock but not unlock so something appears to be "broken".

Ah well, will bring it to workshop to get it fixed but uncertain if i should go buy the door actuator in case it's just simple fix.

I had the same problem.
High chance it's the same part that is spoilt.

Thanks Aaron.

Damn! gtg get the part from eng soon and get this fixed then.

Aaron_BMW;924496 said:
I had the same problem.
High chance it's the same part that is spoilt.

canuck78;924567 said:
Thanks Aaron.

see, cannot run away from visiting the Doc ......

canuck78;924567 said:
Thanks Aaron.

There are 3 main Stockies for BMW in SG,
U might wanna compare?

Have always been buying from Eng Soon, who are the other two stockists?

Aaron_BMW;924668 said:
There are 3 main Stockies for BMW in SG,
U might wanna compare?

Before changing actuators, try changing the fuse. buy a few spares and change yourself.

Thank guys, will call the other two stockists to find out.

Got a few fuses already, didn't get down to swapping it out yet but don't think it's that as the driver door lock sound is louder than usual / the other doors, so something definitely going inside that driver door there.

All Stockies in SG
--------------------------
Integrated Global Network Enterprise.
9 Kakit Bukit Road 1 #01-11 Eunos Technolink Singapore 415938
6348 3083
Eng Soon Auto Pte Ltd
1090 Serangoon Road Singapore 328192
6291 7775
Golden Link - Stockies
Kaki Bukit Branch
1 Kaki Bukit Road 1
#01-43 EnterpriseOne
Singapore 415934
Phone :
6749 9323

Bukit Merah Branch
Blk 1003 Bukit Merah Central
#01-08 Singapore 159836
Phone :
6337 1133
6337 1134
6337 1135
6337 1136
6338 5472
6338 5885
6338 5886

Sin Ming Autocare Branch
Block 176 Sin Ming Drive
#02-19 Sin Ming Autocare
Singapore 575721
Phone :
6553 1101
6553 1201
6553 0507

Email :[email protected]

canuck78;924484 said:

My problem is identical as this.
Any workshop I can ascertain where the fault lies before I go buy actuator?

Thanks pals.

do they carry other accessories like floor mat ?

Aaron_BMW;924728 said:
All Stockies in SG
Integrated Global Network Enterprise.
9 Kakit Bukit Road 1 #01-11 Eunos Technolink Singapore 415938
6348 3083
Eng Soon Auto Pte Ltd
1090 Serangoon Road Singapore 328192
6291 7775
Golden Link - Stockies
Kaki Bukit Branch
1 Kaki Bukit Road 1
#01-43 EnterpriseOne
Singapore 415934
Phone :
6749 9323

Bukit Merah Branch
Blk 1003 Bukit Merah Central
#01-08 Singapore 159836
Phone :
6337 1133
6337 1134
6337 1135
6337 1136
6338 5472
6338 5885
6338 5886

Sin Ming Autocare Branch
Block 176 Sin Ming Drive
#02-19 Sin Ming Autocare
Singapore 575721
Phone :
6553 1101
6553 1201
6553 0507

Email :[email protected]

ozipo;931041 said:
do they carry other accessories like floor mat ?

Should have. Please call up and check.
I use the 3M coil mat bought outside

Bought the front door lock from Eng Soon quite some time back, today (Sun) suddenly feel like DIY, so went ahead to get some additional tools to do it.

Problem limited to front driver door locks, can lock but remote doesn't unlock. All other doors ok so not a fuse problem.

All in took under 2 hours, quite easy overall except 3 screws holding the door actuator was very tight so stuck there for a while. Otherwise the swap could be done maybe 1.5 hours.

Cost of part: $112 plus gst from ES (other stockists all quoted $120 + gst, btw I encountered very rude service enquiring over the phone from Golden Link, will avoid in future)!

Time spent: 2 hours

Add costs of parts : plastic trim remover, allen key, and star / torx 20 socket

Will post links and pic for those interested to DIY later. Going forward, should be able to change myself if the other door actuators fails.

Found some pix I took on my iPhone so here's the resources I used to get this job done on Sun.

This is the guide I used, the pic within was immensely useful.
DIY: Front door lock actuator replacement (E90) - BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum - E90Post.com

Bought the trim removal tool from autobacs ($20) to avoid scratching the door pieces.

The 3 screw holding the door actuator need a "star shaped" torx bit that fit the screw head snugly as you need a lot of torque to remove it. I used a screwdriver type, in hindsight a torque wrench type would make this much easier to remove.

Steps in order:

1) pry out silver long decorative trim below arm rest from door panel w/ trim remover;

2) unscrew 3 long screws underneath arm rest w torx screw driver

3) wind window fully up;

4) pry out entire door panel w/ trim remover tool;

5) unplug speaker power connector, power window connector, door actuator connector and, pull handle wire cable,

6) remove half of moisture sealing barrier (black screen on door inside) via pen knife to cut open black bitumen glue holding it to the edges, exposing the right hand side access holes only to door recess area (no need remove whole thing);
20uxtz6.jpg

7) loosen sufficiently the top nut (top blue arrow), but not entirely and remove bottom nut (bottom blue arrow) holding silver wire / window guide rails (this is so your left hand can press the bottom to give enough space to twist and squeeze faulty door actuator part out with your right hand through the bottom hole);

8) stick left hand into door actuator area w right hand holding torch light and decouple the door lock cable from within the door recess area (pic is in e90post above);

9) remove round smaller rubber bump near door handle, use allen key to unscrew counterclockwise the retaining screw (see red arrow in pix below) holding key lock (do not unscrew until it falls out entirely, just enough to pull out locking key unit)!

10) tug and pull out entire key lock unit (part where you insert your car key)
2rgntic.jpg

Note the retaining pin (orange arrow), do now unscrew from the other end all the way with allen key in case this screw falls out

11) remove door lock wire (black tip that protrude from your door frame head which connects to door actuator motor mechanism)! Mine actually broke here, it's a white plastic piece very fragile but you can twist the wire piece 45' (there's a notch in the plastic piece to allow u to do that) then pull out the wire thing, keep aside
2cn9r3a.jpg

Note: Door lock wire visible here (top orange arrow), still attached to actuator unit (bottom orange arrow)

12) unscrew the 3 black screws holding door actuator to door (blue arrows)

13) now with door actuator loose in the door internals, you need to push and bend the bottom part of window rail guide in and try to rotate the door actuator part out from the access hole (I got it out within 60sec)

14) with the defective door actuator removed, squeeze the new unit in the same way you took old one out, got it in faster than getting the old one out;
9ssbc2.jpg

Note the old (left) and new (right) actuator, the yellow part (purple arrow) on the old actuator is the plastic clip that holds the other end of the door lock wire, which has broken off. The same white plastic part (see purple arrow, also visible in new actuator) same location is intact.

15) reinstall and connect everything to door actuator is in reverse from here-on

I took my time so manage to get everything done w/o breaking anything and not a scratch. Also, compare and study your new actuator how it connects to the different parts as the view inside door recess area very small and hard to see. You have to squint then work with feeling your way and a bit of visibility.

Unlike in the e90post, there's no need to wide down the window 4-5" I left it up all the time no problem at all.

Also no need to disconnect the battery or do any car computer update, door lock works once new part swap in.

Relatively easy job if you have some technical skills and patience to work on your car for 2 hours to get this fixed yourself.

Last edited by a moderator:

Hi there,

I have the same problem in one of my rear passenager door...which work shop did u go to for the change?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
U888ink
Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back