Engine coolant water topup

Cochran

Hi

Yesterday driving the car. the warning on the coolant water lighted up.

I had added 1 1.5L of water from tap into the expansion tank.

Do i need to get any coolant additive to add into the tank?

If need to. What to buy and available at where? As from the manual. It stated that additive is not all suitable for bmw lei.

Thank you.

Re: Engine coolant water topup

First thing to check for is a leak..... Any pool of water on the floor when you drive off in the morning? Coz if leak, no point pouring in expensive coolant also... haha...

If confirmed not leaking, then not quite necessary to top up coolant. Just distilled water should do. Typically, water tends to evaporate, but coolant does not. The main function of the coolant is to prevent rust. In fact, pure water actually cools better than pure coolant. Of course, the other function of coolant is anti-freeze - which is irrelevant in sunny Singapore.

And if you've not changed your cooling system's fluid in a long while, might be a good time to do so too.... Flush out old fluids and top up with the correct mix of coolant and water. You may purchase the coolant from PML or Eng Soon. I remember it was about $14 or so per bottle.

bro, i also just retify my coolant engine problem ,change the hose and water pump.now every morning check coolant , so far so good.still maintaining

By right coolant should be in a close loop and should not reduced.
Previously when my coolant line have a slow leak, I had to top up every week about 200ml. After replaced the leak parts, the coolant level had remain for months already. I still check it occasionally when car is cold.

I will advise you to check for any leak on the coolant line.

Just monitor your coolant level via the expansion tank float.

Check for any leaks in your engine compartment (slow leak may not show as puddles on floor), any puddles or dried coolant smell after you pop open the hot engine hood.

If have smell, confirm coolant leak then you gotta go do a coolant pressure test to id source of leak.

Eng Soon advised me for coolant flush before: 1 bot of bmw coolant is sufficient. Rest to mix using distiller water.

Emergency like leak can use tap water, distilled water of course better.

After coolant leak id, best to flush and top-up w bmw coolant and distilled water mix. To avoid radiator or cooling system rusting. Also avoid using other than bmw coolant, no idea what that will do to the hoses, metal parts etc.

canuck78;942891 said:
Just monitor your coolant level via the expansion tank float.

Make sure the engine's cold.... Either that or open the cap VERY slowly and allow the pressure to release before fully opening up. European cars' expansion tanks are pressurised - unlike the Japs. If not careful, can get scalded! Hot! Hot! Hot!!

canuck78;942895 said:
Eng Soon advised me for coolant flush before: 1 bot of bmw coolant is sufficient. Rest to mix using distiller water.

Emergency like leak can use tap water, distilled water of course better.

After coolant leak id, best to flush and top-up w bmw coolant and distilled water mix. To avoid radiator or cooling system rusting. Also avoid using other than bmw coolant, no idea what that will do to the hoses, metal parts etc.

Agree! And BWM coolant not that expensive anyway.... =)

Zincman;942779 said:
bro, i also just retify my coolant engine problem ,change the hose and water pump.now every morning check coolant , so far so good.still maintaining
Bro, what's the damage of changing water pump & hose?

bro,pm replied.hope u solve your coolant leaking problem

In the morning before you leave for work, put 2 eggs in there, replace cap. Travel to your destination, open cap and you get 2 hard boil eggs for breakfast.

lkm;942902 said:
Make sure the engine's cold.... Either that or open the cap VERY slowly and allow the pressure to release before fully opening up. European cars' expansion tanks are pressurised - unlike the Japs. If not careful, can get scalded! Hot! Hot! Hot!!

....distilled water at Guardian selling at $1.50 per large bottle

lkm;942902 said:
No need opens slowly lah. There is a bleeding valve screw next to expansion tank. Unscrew it. Then fill up the expansion tank loh.

Rem hor, if lost that screw, have to take taxi to Eng Soon buy a new one. It is no more than $1.5 per pc.

davidtch;943075 said:
No need opens slowly lah. There is a bleeding valve screw next to expansion tank. Unscrew it. Then fill up the expansion tank loh.

Rem hor, if lost that screw, have to take taxi to Eng Soon buy a new one. It is no more than $1.5 per pc.

I would probably take even MORE precaution opening up the bleeder valve when engine is hot..... it's easier to control the release of pressure unscrewing of the expansion tank cap than the bleeder valve. Either way, one may get scalded if not careful.

ozipo;943048 said:
....distilled water at Guardian selling at $1.50 per large bottle

I use my Amway eSpring filtered water! Hahah..... It's said to filter out stuff including chlorine....

(PS For the record, I'm not an Amway distributer. Just a user... So this is not advertising... hahaha.....)

the beemer expansion tank cover needs at least 20 turnings to open, after 8 to 12 turns,
the hissing sound should have already release all the build up pressure
If you kiasu and kiasi, use a thick cloth and unscrew slower than your watch seconds movement

lkm;943101 said:
I would probably take even MORE precaution opening up the bleeder valve when engine is hot..... it's easier to control the release of pressure unscrewing of the expansion tank cap than the bleeder valve. Either way, one may get scalded if not careful.
IMHO, no one with the right mind will top up water when the engine is hot.

What i said is to be done before you start engine in the morning.

davidtch;943127 said:
IMHO, no one with the right mind will top up water when the engine is hot.
What i said is to be done before you start engine in the morning.

Coz we were discussing about opening up the filler cap of the cooling expansion tank when the engine is hot / warm - then you said "No need opens slowly" mah...

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
777vinname

Latest posts

Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back