Engine Oil does matter

Williammm

Trusted Sponsor
F30 328i
Mileage: 4800KM

Recently i just changed my EO via PML. Brought my own EO and ask them to change.
EO that i used: Pennzoil Ultra Euro 5w40. Same characteristic as the EO that PML drained out.
But what i noticed is that my full tank mileage is significantly reduced becoz of the thicker EO.

Before EO changed, i can clock abt 680-700km. After EO changed, max i can clock is 650km and that is with only 18km range left.

For those who are pretty sensitive abt mileage, if ur car is relatively new just opt for thinner oils eg. 5w30.
Next round i shall go for 5w30.

Engine Oil does matter

Engine protection is the prime factor in EO considerations ..... FC is secondary.

And not 5w30s are the same ..... Some thicker than others.

Re: Engine Oil does matter

Red_Bean_Bun;974267 said:
Engine protection is the prime factor in EO considerations ..... FC is secondary.

Yes, ALL 5w30 are not the same. Same applies to all engine oils of #w##.

with a mileage of only 4800km, you should be using a 30 oil instead of a 40 oil.

mileage >100K then use 40oil

Williammm;974258 said:
F30 328i

Recently i just changed my EO via PML. Brought my own EO and ask them to change.
EO that i used: Pennzoil Ultra Euro 5w40. Same characteristic as the EO that PML drained out.
But what i noticed is that my full tank mileage is significantly reduced becoz of the thicker EO.

Before EO changed, i can clock abt 680-700km. After EO changed, max i can clock is 650km and that is with only 18km range left.

For those who are pretty sensitive abt mileage, if ur car is relatively new just opt for thinner oils eg. 5w30.

Pal your car too new to be using 5W40. Go back to use to 5W30. When the car hits a age of 3 years and above or 50k km above then you switch to use 5W40. Another tip, don't think more engine oil is good. Too much, the car also sluggish and petrol consumption goes up. If you car needs 5lt, top up 90% will be good. Too much engine oil, the conrod and piston can't move freely as the engine oil "flood" the engine and due to viscosity, the conrod and piston have a harder time to move as it is restraint by the oil.

Hope this helps? :)

How much EO you put at PML?

i went to a site sponsor for servicing, 4.5l is how much they fill for my 320.

One thing to consider is your OCI. If using LL04 EO it would be shorter. The LL04 TBN is generally much lower than the LL01 EO. And thus breaks down faster especially in countries with fuels that have a higher sulphur content.

The other thing is that fresh EO will always be thicker assuming the same brand / weight because of break down.

IMHO - I think EO will affect between 1-3% of FC. There are other factors that would really affect that number.

Going by what was described EO affected 4-7% of FC ...... Slightly high but should normalize. If its $100 per full tank ..... It's an extra $3 to $4.

Engine problems would cost way more than that......

Williammm;974482 said:
4 Litre is what they use.

After pouring the oil in, have you measure the oil level with the electronic probe?

Does it read max level?

Williammm;974258 said:
F30 328i

Hi u running on comfort mode?

Williammm;974735 said:
Ya it did read max on the probe.
I did ask them before i pass them the EO how many quarts they needed.
They told me 5 so i pass them 6 bottles. They returned me 2 full bottles unused.

I called them before and they told me 5L. But I did mine at 4.5L, when the first oil drained it was 4.8-4.9L.

Agree. I pour a bottle of Liquid Moly Certac
Red_Bean_Bun;974267 said:

Hi bros,.
Is it possible to advise on the brand of EO to use for 5W40? My mileage has crossed 130k km mark. And what seals to replace to rectify the oil leakage? I topped up 1L two-three wks ago and now it is showing +1L. :(
TIA

Try Mobil 0w40 ....

Amaterasu;976745 said:
Hi bros,.
Is it possible to advise on the brand of EO to use for 5W40? My mileage has crossed 130k km mark. And what seals to replace to rectify the oil leakage? I topped up 1L two-three wks ago and now it is showing +1L. :(
TIA

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shirishop
Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back