Engine oil leak

Re: Engine oil leak

The common cooling system problems lies with: hoses (can harden over time and leak), radiator (the aluminum fin develops fissures), water pump (last only ar 100k, before leaking), radiator fan, and expansion tank (can crack ar 80-100k as its made of plastic), etc.

Your workshop would usually do a cooling system pressure test to identify the problem areas. They should show you visually where it's leaking or white stains (dried up coolant) before you change the part.

But having said that, all the above parts are wear and tear items so sooner or later, you will likely end up replacing them all at some point in time.

Zincman;941593 said:
last friday already change some of the hoses that need to be changed,only remarks by bvo is my radiator not good already but still can use.friday nite collect car but sunday afternoon coolant on the ground alady.today went to see them ,they told me is water pump leaking.i was shock but wat to do,replace the water pump plus assy.spent 5 hundred plus close to 6,if tomolo i checked my coolant again leaking ,i sure jump

Zincman, were there no previous service records or anything for the ride you purchased? Sounds like quite a long list of items you got there changed...

My car previously got 2 owners.1st owner went to PML until 30000Km.after that really no clue already.Today morning check coolant level.Still full, what a relief.will monitor further.

Mine just send back to my car dealer today... So sad... Had to part with my bimmer... Haha.. Hope that he will come back soon...

With no more worries.... Hahaha

Cheers...

Zincman;941593 said:
last friday already change some of the hoses that need to be changed,only remarks by bvo is my radiator not good already but still can use.friday nite collect car but sunday afternoon coolant on the ground alady.today went to see them ,they told me is water pump leaking.i was shock but wat to do,replace the water pump plus assy.spent 5 hundred plus close to 6,if tomolo i checked my coolant again leaking ,i sure jump

Your problems are not uncommon, I am sure a lot of people here went through the same thing. After replacement, should be swee swee like what mapletree said.

Btw canuck78 gives good opinion here, thumbs up.

Thanks bro C3PO,

Would have preferred not to know about all these but no choice. Fixed most of the "water leak" parts listed above on my ride so learnt these the hard way. Paid some tuition fees along the way at several of the sponsor and non-sponsor workshops too :)

C3P0;941905 said:
Your problems are not uncommon, I am sure a lot of people here went through the same thing. After replacement, should be swee swee like what mapletree said.

Btw canuck78 gives good opinion here, thumbs up.

my previous ride is a hyundai avante,mileage 250000, but also do not have such problems,i did servicing at 10000km interval and atf change every 60000km.no gear box or leaking problem.now my bimmer only 110000 but was shock so many wear and tear.

but of coz bmw is more comfortable nd more enjoyable to drive.

You had it brand new and drive it till 250,000km?

Wear and tear parts across all makes, more or less times up gotta change means gotta change. My last Korean car (many moons back) start breaking apart right after the 3year warranty period.

That said, it's true bmw parts deteriote alot faster in our climate esp the type of sealing solutions employed by bmw and also the many plastic/alum parts used.

But bmw vs Hyundai or even jap not a fair comparison not apples to apple comparison: one has to consider the mechanical and electronics part, the power output, type of maint regime or frequency (lifetime is obvious bull), weight of car, tropicalisation even etc

Zincman;941939 said:
my previous ride is a hyundai avante,mileage 250000, but also do not have such problems,i did servicing at 10000km interval and atf change every 60000km.no gear box or leaking problem.now my bimmer only 110000 but was shock so many wear and tear.

Last edited by a moderator:

I wonder if anyone knows whether the c class, A4s has a high wear and tear rate as the e-series?

yes bro,i bought the car since sep 07.avante just launch not long ago.the sales for avante even beat toyota altis during that time.was quite unsure whether korean brand can make it or not but to be frank,i paid 60k for the avante brand new,i do not know how much a 06 e90 320i cost during that time but hyundai parts are really cheap compared to bmw .i understand that the comparision is not apple to apple just abit surprised that the korean brand can performed.so well.

Looks like kimchi quality has really improved leaps and bounds since then.

250k, you must have really like driving alot :)

Btw I find bmw parts (mechanical ones relatively inexpensive too, it's the electronics that's ex). Bmw labour cost is high is another factor to the high cost of ownership

yes,i agree that the labour for bmw is ex.somemore cannot just go to any tom dick and harry workshop to do....i got my e90, last week already spent a few ks alady.sisn

canuck78;942039 said:
Looks like kimchi quality has really improved leaps and bounds since then.

250k, you must have really like driving alot :)

Btw I find bmw parts (mechanical ones relatively inexpensive too, it's the electronics that's ex). Bmw labour cost is high is another factor to the high cost of ownership

The Koreans indeed have moved leaps and bounds - not only in quality, but also in style.... Look at the new Kia's and Hyundai's.... It's almost like the Japs of yester-years. I believe that in time to come, the Koreans will outsell the Japs and take the "cheap and good" crowning glory!

Thanks to 1km for his invaluable contributions to dis forum.
There 're many ppl who knows.
There're also many ppl who knows&share !
Kudos to dude like 1km.
G'day all.

That's the REASON for such forums mah...... we all care and share!! Wahahahah!

lkm;808090 said:
I had a leakage problem with my e90 320i... Same thing, SG workshops quoted me sky high prices... I don't blame them - everything in Singapore's getting expensive!!

Eventually, I did everything in JB and is came up to less than SGD1k!! I could be wrong, but I recall working out everything to be below SGD900...

Here's what I had to replace:
- 2 x valvetronic o-rings
- 2 x oil filter housing o-rings
- ATF OIl pan (comes with pan + gasket)
- 7 liters of ZF 6-speed ATF fluid
- Engine valve cover gasket
- "dip-stick" o-ring
- Engine oil pan gasket
- Oil filter
- 4.5 liters Mobil 1 0W40

While the savings is substantial - do consider the extra time and effort in having to buy your own parts and head up north.... But to me? It's all worthwhile...

Oh yes - irrespective of SG or MY, please please please do make sure that the workshop you choose to perform your replacements is competent and familiar with your beemer. It's not only the mechanical familiarity but also the electronics familiarity.....

My next trip up would be to replace brakes - rotors, pads and sensors.... haiz.... so much maintenance....

Hi,
Recently went to servicing at our neighbors place and just to share break down cost of something similar

- 2 x valvetronic o-rings (rm50 each)
- 2 x oil filter housing o-rings (rm50 each)
- ATF Gasket+filter(S$148 at eng soon)
- 7 liters of ZF 6-speed ATF fluid (S$22 each at eng soon)
- Oil filter (S$14 eng soon)
- 5 liters castrol edge 5w40 (S$16 per quarts , total.S$80)

Labour rm300 total

The atf thing you have to buy the gasket, because the filter is built in, this applies for e90. Older models I think you can just purchase the filter which is so much cheaper :(

And 7 bottles of atf is sufficient, although eng soon recommends 8 bottles
You can also get the non original oil filter at eng soon at s$9
Oh and, eng soon prices excludes GST! so that's plus another 7%

For engine oil I got it at mxtrading , somewhere at ubi ave ...

Well, there's some thing great at our neighbors workshop, first you go there for inspection, ask them what is needed to be replaced, then you go back to eng soon to buy it , and finally go for servicing. They are very straight forward telling me that it is much cheaper at engsoon and "just pay me for Labour charges"

Just a lesson I've learnt and maybe I could shave off a few 10 of dollars for the o rings and housing :)

It would be good if our neighbouring workshop could open a Rep office here. Just do the prelim inspection and make the recommendations. Charge a fee... and make tht fee redeemable when you eventually go to their workshop within a month or two.

MapleLeaf;943994 said:
It would be good if our neighbouring workshop could open a Rep office here. Just do the prelim inspection and make the recommendations. Charge a fee... and make tht fee redeemable when you eventually go to their workshop within a month or two.

This will never work as you know, workshop rental is so high here.
They need to employ extra mechecnics to look after this, if from malaysia, has to paid Ah Gong tax.

Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back