Engine Overheat Warning - Replaced water pump, thermostat, top hose

bh0322

Hi all,

Just to share an occurrence 2 weeks ago on the engine overheating warning symbol on my E60.

Collected car in the evening from the car park, drove for 20mins. Noticed a very loud sound from the engine compartment. Shortly, engine overheating symbol in orange color appear ........ The accompanying warning message was something like "Drive your car slowly and let the engine cool down"

I drove to a nearby car park and stop my engine, I opened my bonnet and the fan is still running vigorously. The fan only stopped after few minutes. Waited for a while and try topping up the radiator water... Manage to top up around 200ml.

Start my engine again, no warning message, but just as I was driving out of the car park, the engine overheat warning symbol appears in RED this time and the message was 'Stop your engine immediately and contact your nearest BMW representative."

Fortunately, I was not far away from my workshop and I manage to reach the workshop safely amid the RED symbol which was giving me a fright during the journey.

Workshop diagnose and told me the water pump, thermostat and top hose requires replacement. Bought parts from stockist, car repaired and collected the following day.

I am glad problem happen before CNY and car is good now.......

In the meanwhile, wishes all forumers a Happy CNY!

Re: Engine Overheat Warning - Replaced water pump, thermostat, top hose

Same thing happened to my E60 a couple of years ago... i took the chance to change all hoses... i still remember my coolant tank indicator melted totally... had to change that too...

i hope it was sometime after the engine cooled that you poured the liquid coz heard of horror stories resulting from that...

Glad everything worked out well.... Happy CNY!

same here, but for my case was after i tried 'pushing' the car to its limits :chinese:

Someone I know had a cooling issue - expansion tank cracked .....messy

Red_Bean_Bun;953810 said:
Someone I know had a cooling issue - expansion tank cracked .....messy

Were you talking about me? :errr: Yah, really messy.

such a coincidence...

just have my 4.5 yr old replaced at BVO last week..

1. Water Pump+ Thermostate + Housing
2. Water Hose
3. Liqui Moly Coolant
4. Top Hose
5. Connector Top Hose
6. Water Pump Connector
7. Spare Tank Hose

Hey, how much did your repair work cost? my engine came up with the overheated red symbol right after Nicoll highway and I drove to PML at fort road. Wanna compare the prices if you don't mind sharing with me.

Hi guys,

i just drove into PML at forts road because of the same red symbol overheating issue.
Can anyone recommend a workshop that I could go to or should I just get it fixed at PML?
if its just the water pump, how much would it cost?

driving an e60 for about a year now.

flamcaster;987502 said:
Hi guys,

i just drove into PML at forts road because of the same red symbol overheating issue.
Can anyone recommend a workshop that I could go to or should I just get it fixed at PML?
if its just the water pump, how much would it cost?

driving an e60 for about a year now.

I shld have seen this thread earlier but anyway same thing happen to me. Althought I had totally no power after the red sign appeared. I went to one of the site sponsors here for replacement...good and fast service. Price also quite moderate...pm me if u wan more details.

I just facing this problem while i driving around 160kmh on NS highway , suddenly orange warning for engine overheat appear, then few second after red warning appear and cut off engine directly. Wait half hour after cool down then drive off with low speed again.

christopher ngo;989682 said:
I just facing this problem while i driving around 160kmh on NS highway , suddenly orange warning for engine overheat appear, then few second after red warning appear and cut off engine directly. Wait half hour after cool down then drive off with low speed again.

That's quote an experience.....

Will send workshop tomorrow and share what the source problem on my car.

Went to PML and asked them about PI vs PML cars. They told me that PI cars tend to overheat easily and aircond is not as cold as the local "climatize" version imported by PML. PML cars are programmed to suit SG climate better. Is this true??

christopher ngo;989687 said:
Will send workshop tomorrow and share what the source problem on my car.

I just had mine fixed at Juzz for cars. Good price and servicing. Turns out that my electric water pump died and had to be replaced. PM me for more info if you need.

Vice;989713 said:
Went to PML and asked them about PI vs PML cars. They told me that PI cars tend to overheat easily and aircond is not as cold as the local "climatize" version imported by PML. PML cars are programmed to suit SG climate better. Is this true??

Somewhat yes. Looking into the VIN - there is a tropical version of the IKHU. You could try to set aircon to intense via
Idrive.

Red_Bean_Bun;989720 said:
Somewhat yes. Looking into the VIN - there is a tropical version of the IKHU. You could try to set aircon to intense via
Idrive.
Is this something we can re-program / easily set via Idrive or PI cars use different types of airconditioning system as compared to PML version?

Vice;989713 said:

Red_Bean_Bun;989720 said:
Idrive.

Vice;989735 said:
Is this something we can re-program / easily set via Idrive or PI cars use different types of airconditioning system as compared to PML version?
When it comes to air conditioning, i think it is pure BS. As if Italy/Greece/Spain is not as hot as Sg during Summer.

For engine cooling system, yes. The main diff is the higher power fan.

davidtch;989822 said:
When it comes to air conditioning, i think it is pure BS. As if Italy/Greece/Spain is not as hot as Sg during Summer.

For engine cooling system, yes. The main diff is the higher power fan.

Can I buy a PI car and retrofit the higher power fan? Basically, retrofit what is necessary to make the car compatible with our hot tropical climate?

Vice;990086 said:
Can I buy a PI car and retrofit the higher power fan? Basically, retrofit what is necessary to make the car compatible with our hot tropical climate?
Of course can. But i don't have full list of diff items.

I don't think there's a difference in the cooling system for F10 lah. It's an on-demand cooling system now, after bmw incorporated the active air flaps at the nose grille area.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
789wintoday

Latest posts

Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back