F10 520i : battery discharge warning and hot air from A/C

Hi,
Got my new F10 520i from PML in dec12.
Since than had experienced,
1) battery discharge warning
- notice this 3times, especially when parking the car for more than 12hrs without starting engine.

2) "initial" Hot air, blowing out from A/c. This happens when I start the car from park, after driving around for sometime. Hot air seems to be from the engine(initial 10secs of the Aircon), before stabilizing to cool.

Anyone experienced this?

Re: F10 520i : battery discharge warning and hot air from A/C

1. This happens if you have a car-cam working on parking mode all the time. if you do not have a car-cam set that way, better to check with PML.
2. Hot air for few seconds is common. if this goes for more than few seconds, check with PML again!

1. Happens if I do not lock my car n its parked overnight. Had e error even before I installed my car cam.
2. Happens for a few seconds

horrible;955458 said:
1. Happens if I do not lock my car n its parked overnight. Had e error even before I installed my car cam.
2. Happens for a few seconds

Chilliprince,

1) I don't have a cam in the car nor any additional electronics that would require the battery power. And sent it back to PML, but they could not find the fault. They did a full software reset and upgrade. But this error happened twice after, under similar conditions. Wonder if this is a common prob.

2) thanks for sharing, guess this might be normal. I don't recalled this prob with my E90, 320i(2009 model). Hence, was curious, why a new model would have this. Again, the software upgrade was done, but not the solution.

I'll send the car back to PML for servicing, so will recheck above points

Do you live in landed property and your car is parked in the porch?

Is your car equipped with comfort access? Keyless start / stop?

Do you keep your car keys near the door?

try keeping your car keys further away, e.g. in the kitchen if possible.

see whether it works...

And don't send it back to PML.

they'll keep your car for a few days and tell you they find anything wrong...

Hi Jinooi,

Yes, the car is in the porch, but how does the close proximity of the key to the car cause the battery discharge?

The car has, the keyless access/booth comfort access/ auto start/stop.

I notices the booth comfort access, is easily opened with the shadows, while I walk pass the booth with the keys. Very sensitive.

Will try your recommendations on keeping the keys further away.
Thanks.

jinooi;955480 said:
Do you live in landed property and your car is parked in the porch?

Is your car equipped with comfort access? Keyless start / stop?

Do you keep your car keys near the door?

try keeping your car keys further away, e.g. in the kitchen if possible.

see whether it works...

The car is still on standby mode cos it senses the key nearby. This causes your battery to discharge.

quite prevalent in other countries and has been brought up in many forums.

don't waste your time in PML or MA as they have no idea and will continue to do diagnostics on something that will not show up as a fault. The mostly they will do is change your batt, but that will not resolve the issue.

let us know whether my advice helps.

good luck!

Hi Jinooi,

Brilliant, thanks for the advise. Will definitely take note on this.

PML and MA, should take note of all this and do the test to advise us on these matters.
They are suppose to be the experts...sigh..:(.

Btw, Gong Xi Fa Cai to you and Everyone in the Forum!

jinooi;955494 said:
The car is still on standby mode cos it senses the key nearby. This causes your battery to discharge.

quite prevalent in other countries and has been brought up in many forums.

don't waste your time in PML or MA as they have no idea and will continue to do diagnostics on something that will not show up as a fault. The mostly they will do is change your batt, but that will not resolve the issue.

let us know whether my advice helps.

good luck!

Brilliant advice by jinooi. Thats exactly what happened to my previous F02!

Also had the battery discharge msg last week, after reading this, not sure if its because my domestic helper forgot to lock after she washed the car the night before.

Steptronic;955455 said:
1. This happens if you have a car-cam working on parking mode all the time. if you do not have a car-cam set that way, better to check with PML.
2. Hot air for few seconds is common. if this goes for more than few seconds, check with PML again!

Hi Steptronic,

Just want to check, I have a car cam on during parking all the time. I also have the same 'high discharge of battery' message everyday when I start my engine and it goes off after some minutes of driving. I have a magic pro box that's installed to prevent over draining battery. Just want to check this is ok?

I have the same setup. The power magic cuts of the power to camera before it is too late. But, Car's control system identifies this "over discharging" and cuts off some of its own electricals like comfort access / mirror unfold etc just to prevent further battery discharge.

This should be okay for day-to-day driving. In case of prolonged parking (say more than 2 days), I switch off the camera before switching off the ignition.

Cars4fun,
I forgot to lock my door yesterday and I just got this message again this afternoon.
This time, I had my keys on the 2nd level, likely 5m away.

Will be monitoring if it's the keys or the doors left unlock?

Thanks for sharing, seems like forgetting to lock could be the culprit, as my key was at least a good 15m away.
If its the case, not a very intelligent design, or too smart for its own good.

F10 520i : battery discharge warning and hot air from A/C

I got the battery discharge error after I parked my car for about a week at the airport. The message said to recharge battery by driving which I did over the CNY holidays and the message is gone. My car is stock with no camera whatsoever.

I had this battery problem 2 weeks ago with my F10 520i! Called up pml and they told me to bring the car in for inspection. In the end I had to leave the car there for an entire day to do re-programming.

dogfights;955907 said:
I had this battery problem 2 weeks ago with my F10 520i! Called up pml and they told me to bring the car in for inspection. In the end I had to leave the car there for an entire day to do re-programming.

This sounds a little scary, if PML is just applying the re-programming solution as if its the magical pill.
I may be wrong, but the message seems to be just a friendly warning, that some of the non-critical systems will be switch-off to conserve battery, and it will go away on its own, once the battery is charged up again.
Re-programming does not solve the "problem" in anyway.

any car when parked for a period of time will experience battery discharge.

battery only charges when the engine is on (when the alternator works and charges the batt), and the charging will not be sufficient if the engine is switched on for a short while, e.g. less than 5 mins.

it's nothing to panic over, just that the new bimmers have this function to let you know that your battery is getting weaker - simple physics and common really... if the batt is not charging, it's losing charge.

batt draining due to other circumstances is a different thing, e.g. not enough power to drive all the electricals and electronics, like in the instance where the ICE uses up more energy than the alternator and batt can cope with...

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vt999today
Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back