F30 316: reasonable ride? Any major/ common issues?

Re: F30 316: reasonable ride? Any major/ common issues?

its not just the brand. its very difficult to compare any car to the drive and handling of the 316. thats why i asked those questions to see if 154k for a 316 is worth it

ive tested the honda and toyota. they cant match up to the drive and handling of the bm

I m driving 184hp N18 with 1.2 ton weight. I will tell you to forget about 136hp N18 with 1.5 ton weight.

MW;1113340 said:
Then CNY how?

Precisely because of CNY - you can save on the hongbao because you drive a JDM and all your relatives think you've fallen on hard times, right? :lol2:

cougar127;1113343 said:
its not just the brand. its very difficult to compare any car to the drive and handling of the 316. thats why i asked those questions to see if 154k for a 316 is worth it

Bro, only you can answer that question ... Cost vs value. One is objective, the other is subjective.

Good luck!

davidtch;1113397 said:
I m driving 184hp N18 with 1.2 ton weight. I will tell you to forget about 136hp N18 with 1.5 ton weight.

1.2 ton head-on 1.5 ton. who comes off worse? It's not always about bhp/weight...

I learnt overtaking at SSDC in a 1.6L NA Honda ESi. I used probably half the 110bhp and 150Nm.
If you need all 184bhp to overtake, it's either a very aggressive manoeuvre. Or you have really bad anticipation.

TS buy a car you like and can comfortably afford. There's a reason why BMW outsells the rest of the japanese makes (apart from toyota) in SG. And singaporeans aren't a stupid bunch. You can't be too wrong.

cougar127;1113293 said:
gd day to all and a happy new year. im new here and i have a whole list of queries to share. i hope u guys will bear with me. i recently test drove both the merc cla 180 and the bmw 316. they are both gd cars but im way more impressed with the beemer by virtue of its precise handling. there are just a few things holding me back
1. price: 154k (2 bids non guaranteed coe) Good price, usually will get car
2. minimal options (eg no sunroof, rev camera, cruise ctrl, sunglass holder, gp maps, only 16 inch rims etc) Can get nice rims outside easily
3. the fact that pml is expecting the facelift model to arrive by end 2015 Can't be that far off
4. some electronic issues ive heard of not after 40k kms on current ride, not on previous 3ers
5. some gearbox issues ive heard of MOST probably after 110k kms like on previous 3ers
6. the merc cla 180 does seem to have more options No comment

I know no one can guarantee that nothing will go wrong on your purchase but im just trying to get some clarity from users of the 316 that are both happy and disappointed(if any) with their purchases. thank you in advance

Summary: good buy, go get it!

After 65K mileage, 1 year 10 months, just experienced coolant leak at the turbo. Also air intake hose to turbo cracked, needed replacement. The rest of the pocket damage comes from just the standard maintenance items like brake pads, tyres, aircon filter, air intake filter, engine oil & filter replacement. Just sent to PML for $150 "evaluation" and quotation, hopefully they come up with something good and reasonable as my 316i is still under "warranty"

Last edited by a moderator:

PML just quoted me $1,000 for servicing the water leak on the turbo, probably due to a busted Oring. Bringing it outside, but still got to pay the $150 "evaluation fee". Whaddaheck...luckily out of goodwill they didn't. Then I went back to ES, consulted and paid for 1 O-ring for $6. My workshop charged me $71 for replacement, including a 2nd O-ring. So far pretty affordable maintenance on the 316i in 2 years, but that's because it is new. Who knows what other issues might turn up.

Last edited by a moderator:

There is another model 320i ED which uses 1.6L engine with better power and torque.
Need feedback on this.

Hangloose;1116289 said:
There is another model 320i ED which uses 1.6L engine with better power and torque.
Need feedback on this.
320ED is actually 318.

Hangloose;1116289 said:
Need feedback on this.

I'm driving a ED. Good power to drive alone or a couple. Had 5 adults on board and I have to floor it to get the car moving. But I drive alone most of the time.

If budget not an issue, I would go for a 320i.

jtek;1116347 said:
I'm driving a ED. Good power to drive alone or a couple. Had 5 adults on board and I have to floor it to get the car moving. But I drive alone most of the time.

If budget not an issue, I would go for a 320i.

I'm surprised, given the main difference is 1.6L (320i ED) vs 2.0L (320i) engine with almost the same power and torque.

Hangloose;1116441 said:
I'm surprised, given the main difference is 1.6L (320i ED) vs 2.0L (320i) engine with almost the same power and torque.

Yup I think that little different still make some differences when full loaded.

I've heard of many issues with previous models, how do new models fair this time?

My 2 years ride got a coolant system leak. Already in PML workshop the last 2 days :(
Wear and tear so fast....! Am certainly not very pleased

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fc777comph
Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back