F30 through heavy downpour

Hey guys,

I was driving back today along the North-South expressway in Malaysia when it was raining heavily. Some point in time, the engine started to growl and acceleration was a little laggy so to speak. Engine was vibrating more then usual as well. After awhile when the downpour was lighter, the car seem to be back to operating normally. Anyone faced this situation before? Was wondering whether BMWs face this during heavy downpour relating to water entering somewhere?

Thanks for the advice
Eric

Re: F30 through heavy downpour

ericyeow88;1075680 said:
Hey guys,

I was driving back today along the North-South expressway in Malaysia when it was raining heavily. Some point in time, the engine started to growl and acceleration was a little laggy so to speak. Engine was vibrating more then usual as well. After awhile when the downpour was lighter, the car seem to be back to operating normally. Anyone faced this situation before? Was wondering whether BMWs face this during heavy downpour relating to water entering somewhere?

Thanks for the advice
Eric

U kana a pool of water tats y bro. If nt mayb the rd is wet n u actually drive too fast n ur ta ya bo ho skid? Wheelspin? Rain dun drive so fast lah.

Ah yang;1075715 said:
U kana a pool of water tats y bro. If nt mayb the rd is wet n u actually drive too fast n ur ta ya bo ho skid? Wheelspin? Rain dun drive so fast lah.

Thanks bro for the reply..

No I wasn't driving fast.. fastest I was travelling was probably 70km/hr. The rain was so huge, visibility was pour. Can't go fast also heh. It has nothing gotta do with tyre skidding or wheelspin. Tyres were excellent grip actually..

ericyeow88;1075719 said:
Thanks bro for the reply..

No I wasn't driving fast.. fastest I was travelling was probably 70km/hr. The rain was so huge, visibility was pour. Can't go fast also heh. It has nothing gotta do with tyre skidding or wheelspin. Tyres were excellent grip actually..

If nothing n nw back to normal juz drive on lah. Quite troublesome to figure out wats wrong cos troubleshooting quite ma fan nt knowing wat went wrong. My f30 nw when braking wil jerk bt nt too often. Got a letter for recall on my brakes too. Haiz

some water must have been sucked up into the engine, causing your symptoms..

then it dried up by itself inside the engine somewhere.. You are lucky not too much entered
else the red lights will be on, and it will say tow back to workshop etc..

the engine cant start anymore and move...

Tale pipe don't suck in water when engine is running...

Is there any tell TALE signs... that water went in to the engine?

Symptoms you are experiencing now are water that went in..

BMW engines suck air from the bottom of the car into the engine
for dunno what exactly technically and your heavy downpour must
have seeped thru the protection and into your engine..

It happens to one of my friends car, a heavy downpour and water level
quite high.. It went into the engine and red warning light tow back
workshop blicking...

I am wondering if the engine vibration is due to the lower air temperature. Yesterday, I was in a downpour and caught in a jam. I noticed my engine was idling much more roughly than normal. My engine is a N20. Has anyone here encountered the same issue? Thanks!

Maybe the petrol in malaysia got some water in it. Also when TS last did his servicing

steve9733 said:
BMW engines suck air from the bottom of the car into the engine for dunno what exactly technically and your heavy downpour must have seeped thru the protection and into your engine..

Sorry, what model is your ride? Or what CAI you are running?

steve9733;1076069 said:
BMW engines suck air from the bottom of the car into the engine
for dunno what exactly technically and your heavy downpour must
have seeped thru the protection and into your engine..

This is great.

My air intake is at the kidney grille area. Is my bmw pariah? how come mine no cai at the bottom?? anyone?

ok tats it, rain time I am NOT driving out anymore. ccb bmw ccb gahment

sometimes this forum.....a lot of misinformation. mai sabo leh. simi air intake at bottom of car.

yesterdays rain. yes water can go in. but NO its not thru the exos. neiehter is ur stock intake at the bottom of the car. in fact all ur air intakes r kinked so that water doesn't flow inwards n downwards into ur engine. in a crazy cant see shit rain like yesterday. droplets can splatter and get drawn in. but like someone said...it will prob burned up inside the engine sue to small quantity.

unless u r stuck in a flood that covers part of ur intake and ur exost......u shud hv no problems

I realise many "expert" views also were from "my friend's car" or "I heard..."

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sunwin20date

Latest posts

Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back