First day with the E90 320i

Re: First day with the E90 320i

canuck78;954672 said:
Hope the day doesn't come when i gotta use my booster cables, bought brand new still in plastic bag since my last car, till now :)

Well, I DO hope the day to come... but not to jump start my own car, but to help a stranded chiobu by the roadside / carpark.... Okay, stop dreaming..... back to work... Hahaha...

E90 320i / Qsns abt owning a bimmer...

Dear owners of 320i/318i,

I'm a newbie here. Have been setting my eyes on the bimmer for a while already. Currently driving a Mazda. I like to check a couple things with the seniors here...sorry if the qsns is a noob to some of u....

1. How much does your maintenance cost change from owning a continental vs jap car?

2. Does continental shows more problems (mech/electronics) after 5 yrs? Obviously I'm going for a used car.

3. What should I check out for when selecting and test driving a BMW?

4. What are the common problems faced with 320/318 models?

If any other useful info, pls share. Pls don't flame me as I did go as far back all the threads to sieve out info....

Thanks for info sharing!

Re: E90 320i / Qsns abt owning a bimmer...

timescapes;955623 said:

I'm a newbie here. Have been setting my eyes on the bimmer for a while already. Currently driving a Mazda. I like to check a couple things with the seniors here...sorry if the qsns is a noob to some of u....

1. How much does your maintenance cost change from owning a continental vs jap car?

2. Does continental shows more problems (mech/electronics) after 5 yrs? Obviously I'm going for a used car.

If any other useful info, pls share. Pls don't flame me as I did go as far back all the threads to sieve out info....

Thanks for info sharing!

1. not much difference.
2. all cars will have problems due to wear and tear after 5 years unless the previous owner buy and keep it without driving which will also have problems.
3. please go read the thread on buying a 2nd hand BMW.
4. please go read the thread(s) on maintenance and repairs.

friendly advise, please search and read the threads posted before people start sending you spoons.

lim_ck;955632 said:
1. not much difference.
2. all cars will have problems due to wear and tear after 5 years unless the previous owner buy and keep it without driving which will also have problems.
3. please go read the thread on buying a 2nd hand BMW.
4. please go read the thread(s) on maintenance and repairs.

friendly advise, please search and read the threads posted before people start sending you spoons.

Thx for feedback. I can't seems to find the threads....

timescapes;955634 said:
Thx for feedback. I can't seems to find the threads....

have you gone through the first 10 pages of this forum? all/most of the information you're looking for are there.

Re: E90 320i / Qsns abt owning a bimmer...

timescapes;955623 said:

Thanks for info sharing!

Well, I drive a Mazda 6 prior to switching to the BMW 320i 3 weeks ago. So far the car have not given me any problems, except the common engine oil leaking problem which the mechanic say it's not serious and can fix later. I've driven it to Mersing (120 km up North) and back with no problems at all.

Maintenance-wise, I have not done any yet, but I think the engine capacity is 6.5 litre (correct me if I'm wrong), so it's already 2 litres more (more $$) than a typical Japanese car. Fuel consumption is about the same, but if you are concern about fuel consumption, then you should not take a 2.0 car. If you want maintenance-free, stay with Japanese cars.

That said, in Singapore, most people look after their cars well, so I wouldn't worry so much about the previous owner not looking after the car, just have to make sure it is accident free. If it makes sense to you financially, take the leap of faith, and enjoy the sheer driving pleasure the bimmer brings.

Bring a friend along when you go car hunting.

Have fun!

_Hitman;950199 said:
Thanks all for the kind comments and the recommendations on the headlight modifications.

I don't have any specifics in mind but I just don't like orange light. In my previous ride, I didn't have good results replacing the bulbs with the Philips Diamond Vision, Crystal Vision etc... I was happy when I finally had the HID, but that's Japanese cars which are easier and cheaper to mod.

The bimmers are different animals, so I'm gonna look around a bit, work out the costs and see what I want to do.

Was at Steven's shop this morning, and he helped me with the air scoop (can really feel a difference, as far as I'm concerned, that is money well spent!) and the side marker - makes the car look chio-er__ now. :D

Am I having fun yet? You bet!

Hi _hitman,
Have you got pictures of the air scope? Mind sharing where you got it and the cost?

Vansoh;956012 said:
Hi _hitman,
Have you got pictures of the air scope? Mind sharing where you got it and the cost?

bro,i tink bro hitman got the air scoop from Bimshop. look for Bro Steven, i also fixed my airscoop be4 CNY......no regrets

FYI if you are upgrading your speakers... it's not standard size.

Wow! envy you...

I am also dreaming for a Bimmer for 2 years... still looking around for a good one while still driving my Lancer...

Last Sat one caught my eye... and I am thinking to Buy or not to buy...

A car that costs > $100k does need more consideration...

sci10213;959705 said:
Wow! envy you...

I am also dreaming for a Bimmer for 2 years... still looking around for a good one while still driving my Lancer...

Last Sat one caught my eye... and I am thinking to Buy or not to buy...

A car that costs > $100k does need more consideration...

Acta non verba bro, suck it up and take the plunge! :yikess:
Cheers!!!

One month and 2000km later....

... and I have no regrets jumping into the Bimmer. Compared to my previous ride, this is one car that I did not do a lot of 'performance' modifications, because I feel there is no need to. The ride handles well, and is a pleasure to drive, so I'll just do up the aesthetics.

Already done
- Sound system
- 19" rims and tyres
- Diamond vision bulbs for low beam (ya, decided that I won't go the HID route)
- Air scoops
- K&N air filter
- Side markers
- Black chrome grills (on order)
- Performance plugs (still thinking)

Some peeves
- The annoying creaking sound of the doors - using WD-40 lasted for two week, using talc lasted for one week, guess I'll have to stick up the window frame. :silenced:
- Wipers I bought from Eng Soon a week ago started to stutter this evening, wonder what could be the problem. :confused:
- My steering column seems to want to give up the ghost soon... :roll:

Other than these, I'm a (more than) happy camper.

A pity I couldn't join the guys for the meetup yesterday but I'm sure the bunch of crazy E90 guys will have more meetings soon! Catch up with you guys soon... :cool:

_Hitman;960311 said:

... and I have no regrets jumping into the Bimmer. Compared to my previous ride, this is one car that I did not do a lot of 'performance' modifications, because I feel there is no need to. The ride handles well, and is a pleasure to drive, so I'll just do up the aesthetics.

Already done
- Sound system
- 19" rims and tyres
- Air scoops
- K&N air filter
- Side markers

Some peeves
- The annoying creaking sound of the doors - using WD-40 lasted for two week, using talc lasted for one week, guess I'll have to stick up the window frame. :silenced:
- Wipers I bought from Eng Soon a week ago started to stutter this evening, wonder what could be the problem. :confused:

A pity I couldn't join the guys for the meetup yesterday but I'm sure the bunch of crazy E90 guys will have more meetings soon! Catch up with you guys soon... :cool:

Nice poisons bro. Keep it coming after the latest announcement from MAS. It is clearly a signal to tell us to love our cars more. :thumbsup:

The annoying creaking sound of the doors - dont use WD40 (its fish oil) rubber and oil hate each other. instead try wiping the rubbers on your door's frame with tyre shine. i did this on my ride, together with the pasting of black cloth tape on the metal part where the door close into solves the problem.

As i DIY both at the same time, so not sure which actually works or maybe the combi works.

_Hitman;960311 said:

Already done
- Sound system
- 19" rims and tyres
- Air scoops
- K&N air filter
- Side markers

Some peeves

Last edited by a moderator:

Just bought a 2005 Nov E90, to collect my car tomorrow. Can't wait to feel the new driving experience with my first BMW.

cheden88;964951 said:
Just bought a 2005 Nov E90, to collect my car tomorrow. Can't wait to feel the new driving experience with my first BMW.

Welcome and ejy ur ride =)

cheden88;964951 said:

How much you got yours for?

guys i did mention elsewhere

creaking doors use talcumpowder. that will solve all of it.

cheden88;964951 said:

Congrats bro, I think we e90 newbies can meet up and tcss...

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hanhtrinhtuoitrevn

Latest posts

Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back