Frequent "coolant level" low warning alert

papbear77

Having this alert for about 6 months already.....every 2 weeks or so have to add distilled water....still under warrantry and when I bring up this issue PML says to add water ok already...but methinks how come can like that that have to so frequently add water....this is so called "modern" car....Ride is F10, 523i...anyone can advise? or is this like what PML says "normal"...??

Re: Frequent "coolant level" low warning alert

Some PML customer service managers tend to brush away problems. You should seek another opinion, having to top up every 2 weeks is not normal. I don't remember needing to top up my car's coolant since new. The only time I did was due to a leak.

not normal............

cheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeers

It's normal for PML to be abnormal.

LimPeh said:
Some PML customer service managers tend to brush away problems. You should seek another opinion, having to top up every 2 weeks is not normal. I don't remember needing to top up my car's coolant since new. The only time I did was due to a leak.

Thanks for feedback

ac323 said:
not normal............
rodders;981782 said:
It's normal for PML to be abnormal.

I aso say....:evil:

papbear77;981794 said:
Thanks for feedback

I aso say....:evil:

if you dont mind me saying, i think its a sensor fault, had the warning sign for low coolant levels too, made an appt at pml and got it fixed, mne is a f30

Which PML SA said this? Topping up every 2 weeks must be a leak. Don't think it's sensor......

Hi,

I have the same issue - F10 523i. I have checked with a couple of workshops - and also some comments from others. It seems the F10 523i have this issue with the design of the Radiator unit - when travelling, due to the pressure; there will be leaks; thus; stationary when parked - we will not notice any 'wet patch' - and will wonder why every couple weeks need to top up (nearly 1-2 ltires of water into the Coolant Tank.

BMW seems to have noted this issue worldwide - and heard they have redesigned the 'newer' batches of F10 radiator to prevent this issue. I also checked - and it seems this is not covered under warranty somehow - but yet to be confirmed. Was told unless it leaks from the start - otherwise, its a 'wear' issue. Based on the info I got; I am not satisfied that this cannot be claimed under warranty if its really found to be true.

Still waiting for a full check to determine the confirmed source of the problem.

What rubbish... due to pressure? The F10 AFAIK is operating at a lower water temp than the old E90... my F10 measured using OBD2 computer has coolant temp around 86degC on average while driving even on a hot day it goes up to 89degC. My old E90 the water temp easily hits 105degC... talk about pressure, then the E90 radiator should have exploded.

As such, am sending in to have the issue identified and confirmed. I am also not very convinced - though I am not mechanically inclined - but do have to top up water as mentioned (same issue with papbear77) - so the water must have gone somewhere and not just 'coolant sensor' issue (if so, water level should have been there and no need to top water). Thus, from this perspective, I would believe its leaking somewhere, even if its not caused by pressure or whatever the mech is telling me.

And yes, previous E90 - dun remember when I even need to top up coolant water....so this is definitely not 'normal'.

Just the bit that it may not be covered under warranty is a potential 'piss-off' point for me to bang table (if there is really a faulty radiator,hose, etc).

Thanks to all the Brothers for the replies...am sending in for check soon...will feedback on outcome...

Can be few things

1. Coolant Reservoir cap leaking
2. Radiator itself leak
3. radiator hoses leaking

See any coolant stains when you peek under the bonnet ? That stuff looks like chalk .......

Miah23;982196 said:
Hi,

I have the same issue - F10 523i. I have checked with a couple of workshops - and also some comments from others. It seems the F10 523i have this issue with the design of the Radiator unit - when travelling, due to the pressure; there will be leaks; thus; stationary when parked - we will not notice any 'wet patch' - and will wonder why every couple weeks need to top up (nearly 1-2 ltires of water into the Coolant Tank.

BMW seems to have noted this issue worldwide - and heard they have redesigned the 'newer' batches of F10 radiator to prevent this issue. I also checked - and it seems this is not covered under warranty somehow - but yet to be confirmed. Was told unless it leaks from the start - otherwise, its a 'wear' issue. Based on the info I got; I am not satisfied that this cannot be claimed under warranty if its really found to be true.

Still waiting for a full check to determine the confirmed source of the problem.

Mine F10 523i also has the same issue. Had to top up water every few weeks. Workshop did a pressure test on the radiator and the pressure was shown to be dropping indicating a leak somewhere. Luckily still under warranty and the workshop changed the whole radiator system for me, including new hoses. Now been driving for 3 months without needing to top up.

Hi,

My e90 323i experienced the same recently.Coolant level low light keeps coming out every other day, even after I topped up fully with distilled water. I did not detect any visible leakages. Could it be the radiator and hose having small leakages where steam escaped? How much does it cost to change the radiator and hose?

LOL, some of the comments were hilarious.

Go to a proper radiator workshop like Moto-aire to check for leaks. Laidback is spot-on.

def not normal...your car is not a plant that needs frequent watering.

Escalate it if the SA you dealing with does not know. show evidence, else speak with the mgr

one more possibility...

check the radiator expansion tank. usually that's the culprit.

ok here's the feedback....apparently there was a "microscopic" leak somewhere...so hoses and "valve" (I dunno what is this) replaced.....but it seemed to work....travelled around 3000 km since replacement....no top-up needed......keeping fingers, toes, arms, legs, b#@ls crossed!,,,.....

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alo789pub

Latest posts

Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back