gearbox downshifting jerk when e-braking

Re: gearbox downshifting jerk when e-braking

C3P0;563496 said:
Did mine yesterday. Still jerking le, heh heh.

Did yours at PML? Still jerking? So the reprogramming didn't help?

lkm;569160 said:
Did yours at PML? Still jerking? So the reprogramming didn't help?
Sorry forget to update status.
Before I did anything, stock car was jerky jerky.
Then I change muffler, jerking less.
Then I went PML reprogram, jerking came back.
Then after driving for another week, no more jerking!
Now the gear change, be it up or downshift, normal or DS mode, is smooth like baby's skin. Even the initial lag from stationary is almost gone.

But i think the above observation is partly due to my exhaust change, so my experience may not be representative of the result of a reprogramming.

Others may want to share to give a better picture. Mine I think not accurate already :p

Last edited by a moderator:

so, now everything swee swee poon pi pi ya
vroom vroom

C3P0;569165 said:
Now the gear change, be it up or downshift, normal or DS mode, is smooth like baby's skin. Even the initial lag from stationary is almost gone.

But i think the above observation is partly due to my exhaust change, so my experience may not be representative of the result of a reprogramming.

Others may want to share to give a better picture. Mine I think not accurate already :p

wt_know;569166 said:
so, now everything swee swee poon pi pi ya
vroom vroom
Ya, very weird, now car can rev, gear not jerky, FC back to normal.
I am no good in these stuff, so can't explain the reason. It sure is weird; but aiya, 7th month is always like that one....:laughlik:

If you change ATF even more smoother....no horse run

Last edited by a moderator:

C3P0;569165 said:

I was quoted by PML $132 for reprogramming, and another $44 for "clearing of adaptation values"... I was thinking of the reprogramming only. What did you do? Did you also clear the adaptation values?

Hi bros,
After updating and clearing the adaptation values along with a ATF oil change the gear box is running very smoothe. However I feel it has lost its punch. I think the gears drag longer but the speed doesnt climb as fast... Strange feeling but previously it felt as though the upshifts were very fast and seamless whereas now it drags before upshifting. Can't compare speed for speed but I think my car was much quicker before the update.

Pinky;569286 said:
Hi bros,
After updating and clearing the adaptation values along with a ATF oil change the gear box is running very smoothe. However I feel it has lost its punch. I think the gears drag longer but the speed doesnt climb as fast... Strange feeling but previously it felt as though the upshifts were very fast and seamless whereas now it drags before upshifting. Can't compare speed for speed but I think my car was much quicker before the update.

Maybe the reprogramming is to change the DS mode so that the shifting point are the same as the normal drive mode ?

lkm;569213 said:
I was quoted by PML $132 for reprogramming, and another $44 for "clearing of adaptation values"... I was thinking of the reprogramming only. What did you do? Did you also clear the adaptation values?
Sorry lkm, can't advise on this as my car is under warranty, hence the programming is free..... maybe other guys here who did the same can advise.
But PML did charge me $22 for "Service - Standard Scope" because I did a brake fluid change at the same time. SE explained that it is to reset the ECU after brake fluid change.

Pinky;569286 said:
Hi bros,
Pinky, did you do any mods before and after clearing the adaptation values?

hi guys,
I'm also facing jerking problems.

when coming to a stop, gear 2 to gear 1 will have a big jerk.

further tested put manual mode, gear 1 shift to gear 2 even on stationary, will jerk.

does this mean must reprogram the tranny?

please advise thanks.

ton188;573442 said:
hi guys,

further tested put manual mode, gear 1 shift to gear 2 even on stationary, will jerk.

please advise thanks.
This is the exact problem I have: "when coming to a stop, gear 2 to gear 1 will have a big jerk."

However, to be safe, I suggest you bring the car down to PML and let the tester test-drive for you and diagnose the exact problem. He can advise you if the car needs to be re-program or if the jerking is due to other issue. It could be due to other problem(s) that we are not aware of.
[Disclaimer: I didn't try to put it into manual mode, so not sure if the car jerks in manual mode.]

Anyway, just make sure that PML doesn't get away with the famous quote "It's Normal." :chinese:

ton188;573442 said:
hi guys,

please advise thanks.

I have the exact same issue with the jerkiness... In AUTO mode, can feel the jerk as the car comes to a stop....

In MANUAL mode, at stationary, can feel the jerk (quite strongly) when shifting from M2 to M1.

I'm taking my ride for reprogramming this week. Will update all.

not exactly at the right thread but i think there are some serious problems with my hand brakes. red lights on drive gear, pull handbrake, but the car still move forward. Neutral on downslope, pull handbrake, also move forward. Park on both occasion with handbrakes engaged, halt. So many cars i drive, non reacts in the matter i described earlier. Normal or something wrong? Advice?

BTW i driving E93

uglyducklings2000;573919 said:
not exactly at the right thread but i think there are some serious problems with my hand brakes. red lights on drive gear, pull handbrake, but the car still move forward. Neutral on downslope, pull handbrake, also move forward. Park on both occasion with handbrakes engaged, halt. So many cars i drive, non reacts in the matter i described earlier. Normal or something wrong? Advice?

BTW i driving E93

pull harder?

haha, i think i pulled to the max already. all the way "tac tac tac....." until no more. maybe still got one more "tac". i try again

uglyducklings2000;573963 said:
haha, i think i pulled to the max already. all the way "tac tac tac....." until no more. maybe still got one more "tac". i try again

I dunno abt the beemer, but on my previous Japanese ride, my mech shared with me a technique to "prime" the handbrake... with the.engine cut and transmission in P, pump the foot brake a few times and then pull abstract release the hand brake a few times.... this somehow is the standard procedure after every brake pad replacement and when the hand brake feels a little "high"...

not sure if it will work for you...

so engine off, transmission in P, pump the brakes, then pull and release the handbrake a few times?

my handbrake is like ........... 99912324 clicks when i pull up. super duper high.

i finally found the solution to it..... hassle free, dummy proof

change car...

lol. thats a quick fix to it. =p

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reneshevills
Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups