Gearbox Solenoid Change - Jerking Problem Solved - E90

Hello everyone,

I have a question and concern about this topic. I have 2011 328i with 84K miles. Recently I'm having problem with the car. 2 weeks ago, car had a hesitation to accelerate, after checking the ignition coil, we've found out that ignition coils were failing. After changing it I had a problem with vanos gear, car was shaking on cold start and RPM was increasing by itself. I took BMW and they've change vanos bolts heads and oil gasket pan. After being done with all of this problems. I have problem with shifting gear up. Only from 2nd to 3rd gear car jerks and we can't even find the problem. Other gears are really smooth but only from second to third gear is making this problem. Please help me out, otherwise I'm gonna sell this car.

You may want to chk your tranny gear solenoid, I had this issue on my previous ride too and happened on gear 1&2 though. Hope this helps.

I mean I really don't know. It may help or not, lots of people have been complaining about this problem especially face lift ones. Most or them changed transmission I have extended warranty but as long as you don't have failing parts on the system they don't cover it.

I mean I really don't know. It may help or not, lots of people have been complaining about this problem especially face lift ones. Most or them changed transmission I have extended warranty but as long as you don't have failing parts on the system they don't cover it.
this is definitely a going-to-failure symptom of the tranny unit.

When it got really bad on my ride, I was able to replicate the symptom on cold starts. When cold start, engaged to D, drive off about 10 sec, stop to ensure that the gear auto switch back to 1. The moment i let go of the brake and step on the pedal, the engine will ramp up but the gear will not engage, and the message "Transmission Failure" appear. From then its only gear 3 all the way. Imagine all the honking I get at traffic lights! Need to turn off and on the ride before the message clears and drive off gently for about 10min.

One workshop feedback that the Mechatronic unit is faulty and cannot control the flow of ATF properly when cold. When the tranny gets warmed up, the fluid also heats up and expand, filling up the gaps in the tranny. I've heard that gears needs to be engaged from 1-6 and R during the filling up process of ATF to ensure every crook and cranny of the Mecha unit is filled up with the tranny fluid. I guess most workshop are just too lazy to climb up the ramp and do this while filling up because its a 2 man job rather than just 1.

If possible, take a picture of the iDrive message or have someone help video from the passenger seats when you are most likely to be able to replicate the problem (cold start) and show it to the workshop and demand to have the tranny changed under warranty.

good luck!

Hi All,
is it possible to change the solenoids in a E90 GM gearbox? is there a repair kit for it?

Hi All,
is it possible to change the solenoids in a E90 GM gearbox? is there a repair kit for it?
I believe gm transmission solenoids cannot be changed separately.. May need to change while mechatronics/ valvebody.
If u found out it can be done, so let me know too. Thanks

I believe gm transmission solenoids cannot be changed separately.. May need to change while mechatronics/ valvebody.
If u found out it can be done, so let me know too. Thanks

325 e90 2011 April model 2.5 6 cylinder engine. Gm gearbox gm6L45r model.
Yes. I would like to know too
But having change the gearbox rubber seals and atf every 40,000 km. Recommend this.

The gearbox is still running very well and smooth after almost 8 years and 82000km now. Still good hope it stays that way.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vl88baby

Latest posts

Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back