Gerard Ee rejects call for curbs on fast cars

animian

Gerard Ee rejects call for curbs on fast cars

By Ethan Lou

MR GERARD Ee, chairman of the Public Transport Council, has rejected calls for tougher restrictions on high-performance sports cars following the fatal three-vehicle collision in Bugis involving a Ferrari.

Instead, he blamed reckless drivers and not fast cars.

“Low-performance cars can also be going at 100kmh and beat the red light,” Mr Ee told my paper last night.

In a post on citizen-journalism website Stomp yesterday, a netizen known as “Ban it” proposed that high-performance sports cars be banned on congested Singapore roads.

The netizen wrote: “As a small country, should we accommodate such high-performance cars on our increasingly packed roads?”

The crash occurred at the junction of Rochor Road and Victoria Street – notorious for accidents – and is the seventh in two weeks there. Last Saturday’s incident claimed three lives.

Another netizen known as “ialwayswin” said: “We must petition to ban these cars on packed roads and allow them only on designated roads.”

Mr Ee, however, felt that instituting harsher regulations every time a particular type of car is involved in a fatal crash will only make things worse.

“In the end, nobody will be able to drive,” he said.

:screwedu:

Re: Gerard Ee rejects call for curbs on fast cars

More irrationality................

Keep speed machines off our roads
Published on May 15, 2012

I AM concerned about the dangers posed by the potentially excessive speeds of noisy and pollutive high-powered sports cars in densely populated Singapore ('2 dead, 3 injured in three-way Bugis crash'; Sunday).

However stylish the appearances of these exorbitantly priced vehicles, their designs are not structured, and most drivers are untrained, to handle any potential impact arising from such high speeds.

The European Parliament has been deliberating proposals to ban high-emissions commercial vehicles with speed capacities in excess of 162kmh by next year.

If Singapore roads are meant to facilitate traffic flow for the majority, perhaps the Land Transport Authority could follow the European proposal to keep such speed machines off our roads.

Liew Kai Khiun

Keep speed machines off our roads

I don't see why the fark the issue is on high performance cars and their place on the roads like SIngapore. High performance cars are still cars and the same speed that the Ferrari was going before the fated accident happen, most cars are capable of that in today's context just that it will take a longer time but not any substantially longer if the roads are clear.

This whole issue has turned into a jealous controversy by people who are just so green eyed and can't think logically. Accidents happen everywhere and 90% of the time, it is driver problem. Even if the accident at Bugis was a case of car malfunction or tire puncture at even the speed limit, people would still talk about ban just because it is an exotic car. I have come to realise that in any scenario, whether right, general mass will try to turn the tables against the owner and such cars.

And it's only because our society has become so much more materialistic over the years and income gap widening that have brought us to this point.

Last edited by a moderator:

It could well be a 2 ton SUV !!!

Those calling for ban on performance cars, I suspect, are simply sour-grapes. I know I am being harsh here, but I speak at least some truth.

They can't afford the high performance cars so they attack them given the slightest chance. I personally have encountered much more hostility when driving my Boxster than when I drive my E90. Same driving style -- different treatment.

Most of the accidents I observed stemmed not from speeding, but from pure bad road attitude and mindlessness.
1. Attitude. It is often said that Singaporeans would rather crash than give way. One car needs to filter into another lane, another car speeds up to block. Accident ensues.
2. Mindlessness. Many are simply not paying attention. I have seen drivers, while driving, bending down and back to pick something in the car.

I agree with Gerard -- it's not the cars. It's the drivers.

Best counter-argument by Jeremy Clarkson:

Clarkson on: driving

I could come round to your house now and take away your children for medical experiments. I could goose your wife, burn your worldly goods, eat your photograph albums and get a horse to urinate on your head. I could spend a week humiliating you and hurting you and tearing your life into pieces, and yet, when I'd finished, you'd still be able to drive a car.

Driving a car is not a hard thing to do. Old people can drive when they are blind and unable to move any part of their body apart from their eyes. Which barely work anyway. People in remote jungle villages can drive. Stupid people can drive. Everyone can drive.

Over the years, I have driven at vast speeds with special television floodlights on the bonnet. I assume that I must have driven over the limit (on private roads, obviously), and I know I've driven while consumed with grief, rage, guilt and all the other emotions in between. And I've always arrived at my destination without a scratch.

By the time you read this, it's possible I'll have demonstrated on the television that it's possible to drive while sewing a button onto a shirt. James, hopefully, will have shown you can drive while cocooned in a sleeping bag.

So why do we allow those of a thin-lipped disposition to keep on stating, as a fact, that it is ‘impossible' to drive a car while talking on a mobile telephone? Because it just isn't. We're also told it is dangerous to drive while eating an apple or a sandwich. Some are now calling for motorists who have an accident while talking to their children in the back to be sent to jail for life. Because talking to the children and driving is exactly the same as injecting oncoming drivers with strychnine. They're going to die.

We're told that to be a good, safe and courteous driver, we must concentrate completely and absolutely on our driving at all times, and that we must not allow ourselves to be distracted by the radio, other people in the car or whatever emotional state we happen to be in at the time.

Well, that's rubbish. Some studies say that it's impossible to concentrate on anything for more than 20 minutes, and, although I once concentrated on Kristin Scott Thomas for two whole days, I can sort of agree with this.

How are you supposed to remain alert, coiled and ready for action at a moment's notice when you are plodding up the M4 and traffic's light? How are you supposed to concentrate on driving when you've just popped out for a pint of milk? Or when you are on your way home from a difficult day at work?

The truth is, you can't. Once you've been driving for a year or two and you have learned how the road system works - beware of Peugeots, assume the bus will pull out and so on - then it becomes instinctive, like breathing.

At the height of his powers, Michael Schumacher found driving so easy that, even when he was breaking lap record after lap record and dealing with backmarkers, he still had enough spare brain capacity to activate his radio and explain to his manager that he would like to leave the circuit early that night, so could the jet be made ready.

Only when he was faced with a threat, or an opportunity, did he stop worrying about whether he could get home in time for supper, and concentrate on the job in hand.

And that gives me an idea...

The trouble is that, while we can drive perfectly well while doing something else, we are probably not as ready-for-action as we should be if we are suddenly presented with an emergency. The woman recently caught giving herself pleasure while driving down the motorway might argue that she was coping with both activities perfectly well.

How are you supposed to concentrate on driving when you've just popped out for a pint of milk? Or when you are on your way home from a difficult day at work?
But what if she'd had a blowout, or a Peugeot had suddenly come into her lane? She'd have been stumped if, at the time, she was lost in a world of Mr Darcy and thoughts of bearskin rugs and melted chocolate.

At present, the green, the weak and the hopeless say that speed limits should be lowered to compensate for the fact that we're not thinking about what we are doing when we are behind the wheel. But I wonder if this is correct.

Because, if we are made to travel at 20mph, then the tendency for our minds - and our hands - to wander becomes even more likely.

It seems to me that the best solution is to impose a minimum speed limit of, say, 175mph. Because if you are travelling through suburbia at this speed, it is extremely unlikely that you would retreat into a daydreamy world of work, phone calls and Colin Firth coming out of a lake with a wet shirt.

We see this in motor racing quite often, and most notably at Monaco when Ayrton Senna was engaged in a headlong charge to humiliate Alain Prost. When he was at the raggedy edge he was fine, but as soon as his team came on the radio and asked him to slow down a bit, he drove straight into a barrier and was out of the race.

Way, way down the motor racing ladder, and then down a bit more, we arrive at Richard Hammond and our attempts to win the Britcar 24 Hour Race at Silverstone a few years ago. In a sprint race, you concentrate on the job in hand. But when the event lasts for 24 hours and you just have to pound round, preserving your tyres and keeping out of the way of faster cars, you start to drift. And, pretty soon, you're in an Armco.

I have more evidence. Statistically, the most dangerous roads are those in town where the speed limit is 30. The safest roads are motorways, which have a limit of 70.

It's not just cars, either. Commuter trains are always bumping into stuff as they shuffle from station to station, whereas the French TGVs and the Japanese bullet trains never have a hiccup as they blast along at 200mph.

It's easy to see why this is so. If I ask you to stand still when you are in the middle of a football pitch, you will have no problem at all. But if I ask you to stand still while on a plank over the Grand Canyon, you will think very, very hard about all the aspects of what you're doing.

The green, the weak and the hopeless must accept the fact that the faster you go, the more you have to think and, thus, the safer you are.

Speed focuses the mind. It cuts through the fog of drab everyday living and keeps us on our toes. Speed keeps us focused. Speed works. Speed saves lives. Speed is good. And we should have more of it, not less.

The simple fact is this. We are told to concentrate more. But we can only do that if we are allowed to go considerably faster.

This column was first published in the April 2012 issue of Top Gear magazine

If we ban super cars, then we should ban motorcycles too.

Its the driver...not the car....

So irritated about ppl complaining about rich poor divide. Rich ppl work hard and have the luck to make it, then good for them. As for middle class, cannot make it then boh pian lor.....what is the problem........work harder la....

Now complain about banning supercars....damn childish......sour grapes singaporeans!

No ban needed, but graduated licensing. Quite a few supercar drivers themselves are in favour of this. It's like the graduated licensing between small and big bikes.

Giving a young hothead ego 700hp is worse than 200hp. All else equal.

might as well ban all vehicles not powered by our 2 legs.the roads will be safer when everybody rides a bicycle.

I crashed SSDC Super Four when I was taking the 2A test, broke the meters and headlights LOL... I stop riding after passing the test

I agree a there should a different license for the high powered cars. Yesterday I encountered an idiot drive a white mazda 6 with fog lamps on zipping thru the traffic along SLE/CTE. He was at least travellig at 150 as moved from 3rd lane to 1st and and back to 3rd lane repeatedly. You dont need a high performance car to do this you just need an idiot with a low EQ/IQ behind the wheels.

must also ban Chery QQ ... top speed 130kmph leh

btw, it's a good idea for "special training & certification" for supercar driver
its proven many times celebrity crash their felali and lambo because cannot handle the power

Last edited by a moderator:

diablo_728;814378 said:
I agree a there should a different license for the high powered cars. Yesterday I encountered an idiot drive a white mazda 6 with fog lamps on zipping thru the traffic along SLE/CTE. He was at least travellig at 150 as moved from 3rd lane to 1st and and back to 3rd lane repeatedly. You dont need a high performance car to do this you just need an idiot with a low EQ/IQ behind the wheels.

When such arseholes crash, die or cause some innocent fella to die, the press or family n frens will insist he is a nice responsible family man who does not drink because his face will get bright red after a sip and that's why it's impossible that he was drink driving at that time...and he is really a nice responsible family man..really

Saw a young chap driving a Jap sports car up the slope into Ngee Ann City on a wet day, car wheels were spinning on the slope and car not moving.... Upz for classification and special training

diablo_728;814378 said:

very common on CTE.....just happen to me the other day...a swift keep wanting to race with me on CTE after I over take him....keep cutting the lane and when I turn to look at him....his poor female passenger look pale and holding her life to the car handle...my sis ask me to forget it coz the poor gal like want to cry liao....

If am that gal that will b the last date I ever go with this idiot....

heyjudd;814408 said:
very common on CTE.....just happen to me the other day...a swift keep wanting to race with me on CTE after I over take him....keep cutting the lane and when I turn to look at him....his poor female passenger look pale and holding her life to the car handle...my sis ask me to forget it coz the poor gal like want to cry liao....

If am that gal that will b the last date I ever go with this idiot....

Sometimes that happens when they quarrel in the car.

XXX;814415 said:
Sometimes that happens when they quarrel in the car.

that means even worse EQ.....

Back to topic.....think Gerard Ee is a wise man....pity our new generation doesn't have that kind of IQ or EQ.

MRT have caused the death of countless people, than how ? ban mrt ?

i would say ban those PRC from driving on the already congested singapore roads ,
or give them tougher test to convert their license ?
or give them only 12 points ? or restrict them from buying 1.6cc above cars?
the problem is alot of rich ah tiong wants to settle down in singapore ...countless of them, you think
they would bother about COE ? Im doing bizness in china and all my china associates wants to settle here,
i have even help one of them to settle down in singapore ( sorry but i no choice, they give me business)
In big cities, like shanghai,hangzhou,guangzhou, these chinese are terrified to drive after drinking even 1 mug !
cuz china have taken this really seriously with countless roadblock everywher at nite and believe me,
their penalty is much worse than singapore for drink driving.
I was at hangzhou 2 weeks back at this huge disco call G+ ( u guys should go if got chance ) , my china supplier
left his turboS there and sent me back in a cab....next day morning he took cab down again to fetch it back.
So my point is : with the relatively small number of road blocks (compared to china) in singapore,
Even if you hit someone without a driven license and u r not dead...at most u get 3 wks jailed only ?? great isnt it ?
its a safe heaven for them.

after reading this it's kind of ironic ...
what was "generalise" and "perceive" of drink driving in china is bo tai chi ...
the most evil explanation is if one knock someone down ...
must make sure the person is dead if not knock again so that the compensation is little and case is closed very fast.

matrock;814434 said:
MRT have caused the death of countless people, than how ? ban mrt ?

i would say ban those PRC from driving on the already congested singapore roads ,
or give them tougher test to convert their license ?
or give them only 12 points ? or restrict them from buying 1.6cc above cars?
the problem is alot of rich ah tiong wants to settle down in singapore ...countless of them, you think
they would bother about COE ? Im doing bizness in china and all my china associates wants to settle here,
i have even help one of them to settle down in singapore ( sorry but i no choice, they give me business)
In big cities, like shanghai,hangzhou,guangzhou, these chinese are terrified to drive after drinking even 1 mug !
cuz china have taken this really seriously with countless roadblock everywher at nite and believe me,
their penalty is much worse than singapore for drink driving.
I was at hangzhou 2 weeks back at this huge disco call G+ ( u guys should go if got chance ) , my china supplier
left his turboS there and sent me back in a cab....next day morning he took cab down again to fetch it back.
So my point is : with the relatively small number of road blocks (compared to china) in singapore,
Even if you hit someone without a driven license and u r not dead...at most u get 3 wks jailed only ?? great isnt it ?
its a safe heaven for them.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SteveRogerss
Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back