GPS and solar films

EJH

Read that some solar films may obstruct GPS signals. right now, i've narrowed my choice of solar films to v-kool, cool n lite and 3M. does anyone have any feedback of using GPS with solar films? is it true that metallic based solar films are worse for GPS signals? thanks.

Re: GPS and solar films

Previously I use the premium v-kool. They had to cut out a "hole" for our Cash-card unit". But, I had used both a built in (Siemens-vdo) gps and a garmin gps, no issue even with the extended antennae on the dash board. No need to cut a hole. As it seems to have sufficient strength to detect the satellites.

My new ride comes E90 comes with the installed garmin, looks ok...with cool n lite. But not sure if the antennae is built into the unit or tapped from the sharks fin antennae?

EJH;426713 said:
Read that some solar films may obstruct GPS signals. right now, i've narrowed my choice of solar films to v-kool, cool n lite and 3M. does anyone have any feedback of using GPS with solar films? is it true that metallic based solar films are worse for GPS signals? thanks.

GPS antenna is built in. With a full battery, you can use the GPS outside the car like any portable GPS.

Ah Lian;426735 said:
Previously I use the premium v-kool. They had to cut out a "hole" for our Cash-card unit". But, I had used both a built in (Siemens-vdo) gps and a garmin gps, no issue even with the extended antennae on the dash board. No need to cut a hole. As it seems to have sufficient strength to detect the satellites.

My new ride comes E90 comes with the installed garmin, looks ok...with cool n lite. But not sure if the antennae is built into the unit or tapped from the sharks fin antennae?

I also have the v-kool installed and there was a hole cut where the IU is but for my Garmin 760, no issues at all. Seems that the hole cut where the IU was was just a precaution.

I am using V-Kool and Garmin 255W GPS, no problem so far :)

EJH;426713 said:

thanks for all the feedback. glad to hear that the combination works.

the gps that comes with the E90, is it garmin? how can we update the map?

and btw whats the estimated price for the following:

1. 320i 3M solar film or vkool
2. dual spoke bmw rims

Cool n lite with garmin 760 - no issues.

http://www.malfreemaps.com]Malaysia & Singapore Free GPS Map Project • Index page[/url]

or malsingmaps.com
Both are for garmin. Only that the malfreemaps is totally FREE. And a spin-off of an unhappy group that came out of malsingmaps.

Malsingmaps require you to participate in helping to check for errors or provide POI's. However, if you have a garmin unit bought locally in Singapore from an authorised seller, you can try to get the FREE malsingmaps updates courtesty of Garmin by keying in your serial number. (Your unit must be for local consumption - not a UK or US or Australia etc... unit).

My garmin unit can combine both maps from malfreemaps and malsingmaps. Malfreemaps have extra wonderful icons of locations e.g. HDB, shopping centres all over the maps. Their only disadvantage for now is that their location POI's are limited e.g. finding many HDB blocks are "missing". While Malsingmaps are full featured, here.

Hope the above helps.

QUOTE=echo;426900]the gps that comes with the E90, is it garmin? how can we update the map?[/QUOTE]

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vip777orgph
Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back