Help on adjustable shocks..

tom_ting

i have a few questions to seek sifu to answer as i cant understand how to adjust the ride height.

the pic shows 4 boxes highlighted in RED (sleeves), do we loosen the collar 'b' to allow the sleeve move upwards to achieve lower ride height?

do we need to touch the 2 collars indicated as 'a' ? or do we simply leave it tight as shown in the pic or we need to lower it ?

this is very different from KW V2 that i have on my bimmer. i want to make sure the mechanic do it right tomorrow on my Civic.

Many thanks.

Re: Help on adjustable shocks..

Adjusting via B alone, will maintain existing damper travel and spring preload settings, while changing the ride height.

Adjusting via A alone, or along with B, will lower the car at the expense of damper travel. If the springs had any preload before this adjustment, you will reduce the level of preload.

The damper manufacturer for either should have recommended settings and you can experiment within the recommended range or go beyond, depending on your aims and level of understanding.

The dual options for damper length and therefore ride height adjustment, are useful to have vs single option that reaches a less than ideal compromise earlier.

I always just loosen all the way to the bottom, hehe

Many thanks ASC M.

if we want to maintain more damper travel (comfort), should i leave the 'a' alone while only adjusting only 'b'?

thanks

tom_ting;472877 said:
Many thanks ASC M.

if we want to maintain more damper travel (comfort), should i leave the 'a' alone while only adjusting only 'b'?

thanks

Yes, that is the likelyhood. However spring rates and damper valving play as big a part (or bigger) as damper travel when it comes to comfort so there are no hard rules. Also, it's not just about total travel, but where in the stroke the damper sits when the vehicle is sitting static on the ground - how much compression and rebound travel it has from that point. This is also what adjuster A is for setting. The manufacturer should have specific recommendations. You should try contacting them if you are unsure.

Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back