!!!HELP!!! Smoke coming out from engine hood

CornyCow

Hi guys, would appreciate some urgent help over here please. I'm currently driving a BMW 320i E90 2006 and I just topped up 1 litre of engine oil roughly 2 weeks ago.

Just now while I was driving home (thankfully), I saw some smoke coming out from the engine hood. The smoke wasn't very obvious but I've got a sharp eye. After parking, I opened up the hood and realised that the engine oil area is very oily. It looks as if someone splattered some oil all over the place. There was no smoke initially but when I waited for like 20 secs or so, some smoke started appearing again, albeit a very small amount.

Any advices would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Re: !!!HELP!!! Smoke coming out from engine hood

should be the engine oil dripping to your intake manifold to cause the smoke.

Quite a common issue for E9x. Likely a VCG leak onto the exhaust manifold.

I've been through the same ordeal 4 times.......

Last edited by a moderator:

Bring to a good bimmer WS, and fix the oil leaks.

Common issue with e90 and there could be more than 1 place leaking

CornyCow;1098284 said:
Hi guys, would appreciate some urgent help over here please. I'm currently driving a BMW 320i E90 2006 and I just topped up 1 litre of engine oil roughly 2 weeks ago.

Just now while I was driving home (thankfully), I saw some smoke coming out from the engine hood. The smoke wasn't very obvious but I've got a sharp eye. After parking, I opened up the hood and realised that the engine oil area is very oily. It looks as if someone splattered some oil all over the place. There was no smoke initially but when I waited for like 20 secs or so, some smoke started appearing again, albeit a very small amount.

Any advices would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

I am guessing the gasket is leaking.
Cos only around $100++ to replace

View attachment 64025

Aaron_BMW;1098303 said:
I am guessing the gasket is leaking.
Cos only around $100++ to replace

View attachment 64025

That's the gasket price.

But I've seen a workshop in JB that chopped a customer $1000 for a VCG change. Customer happened to be a bro and he showed me the receipt.

*Anyone wants to know which JB WS that is, PM me pls....

*double post*

thanks for the many advices, much appreciated.

i don't think i will know how to change the gasket myself haha. how much does it normally cost at a workshop?

CornyCow;1098310 said:
thanks for the many advices, much appreciated.

i don't think i will know how to change the gasket myself haha. how much does it normally cost at a workshop?

Don't have to buy,
I am just guessing the gasket might be leaking based on the way u described the white smoke.

Please go to a BMW workshop to have your car inspected to find out the actual problem and fix it.

CornyCow;1098310 said:
how much does it normally cost at a workshop?

JB Workshop - $$$$$$1000........

Hi, there's a BMWSG meetup today , 4pm at Kallang Carpark F. Once there, look for a guy called Sean who is our resident technician. He should be able to help you out.
If you are going and need his number, I can PM you.

C3P0;1098322 said:
Hi, there's a BMWSG meetup today , 4pm at Kallang Carpark F. Once there, look for a guy called Sean who is our resident technician. He should be able to help you out.

See you there as usual bro.... Need a lift?

C3P0;1098322 said:

Bro, u r one lucky chap.... tot sean will reply NPNT.... LOL

happen to me last year....

http://www.bmw-sg.com/forums/bmw-3-series-e90-e92-e93-m3-2006-2011/81888-e90-smoke-coming-out-bonnet.html

thanks for all the help again and special thanks to Sean!

just 'banged' table over the phone at the dealer. going to the dealer's workshop tmr to let them take a look.

JB workshops pricing now in SGD ? And $1k to boot for a VCG change .... shocking.

Very sure its not a case of a value added service for currency conversion.

Like what the bro who keeps recommending the JB WS here said - Its against forum rules to mention workshops .....

So please PM me that JB WS info ......

Thanks.

seanskye;1098305 said:
That's the gasket price.

But I've seen a workshop in JB that chopped a customer $1000 SGD (read ONE THOUSAND and not ringgit) for a VCG change. Customer happened to be a bro and he showed me the receipt.

*Anyone wants to know which JB WS that is, PM me pls....

CornyCow;1098334 said:
thanks for all the help again and special thanks to Sean!

just 'banged' table over the phone at the dealer. going to the dealer's workshop tmr to let them take a look.

Nice to meet you too and welcome to the community.

Many of us have gone through it the hard way and it can be really painful. That's why we try our best to help when we can.

If possible, get the dealer to change out the water pump which I showed you just now, together with the VCG. It's faulty and you just got your ride!

Hopefully that will save you some money rather than get it fixed yourself later on.

casper77;1098328 said:
Bro, u r one lucky chap.... tot sean will reply NPNT.... LOL

happen to me last year....

http://www.bmw-sg.com/forums/bmw-3-series-e90-e92-e93-m3-2006-2011/81888-e90-smoke-coming-out-bonnet.html

Not bad. GLGT! But your ride fiercer than mine lah. The tri-color kidney grills and RIMS... SLURP!

Red_Bean_Bun;1098336 said:
JB workshops pricing now in SGD ? And $1k to boot for a VCG change .... shocking.

Very sure its not a case of a value added service for currency conversion.

Like what the bro who keeps recommending the JB WS here said - Its against forum rules to mention workshops .....

So please PM me that JB WS info ......

Thanks.

Totally agreed bro. PM'ed you the receipt.

Seanskye is the man. Helps anyone in need.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
i9betbond
Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back