Help! Whistling noise from E90

Re: Help! Whistling noise from E90

babe,

link talk more about hunk of the year than anything else. so the place confirmed at the rocher?

Motofish said:
babe,

link talk more about hunk of the year than anything else. so the place confirmed at the rocher?

haha...yes..OT liao.. yup, its confirmed at cafe 100, opp rocher beancurd...
i see u there at 8:30pm..ya...:)

BMW said:
Hi drivemax, I've the same noise from the outside... It really sound like a diesel taxi...
Now 400km... will run in and see if the noise goes away...

Cheers

hi,

my car also sounded like a darn taxi when it was new, especially when i was parked stationary next to a wall. the echo from the engine was amplified which really made me wonder whether all that talk abt tuning the exhaust to make the car sound good was nothing more than bull ***.

i've run in and the sound is not so obvious now...

jooggie

Hi bro

Maybe E90 should have its own meeting/session since the BMW.SG has reach more than 5,000 members. This also allow all E90 to share and discuss their problems which seems to be a lot especially since E90 are make in South Africa unlike the 5 series and above. I am really surpried that BMW allow 3 series (their bread and butter model) to be such a low standard.:screwedu:

Henry1515 said:
Hi bro

This also allow all E90 to share and discuss their problems which seems to be a lot especially since E90 are make in South Africa unlike the 5 series and above.

Hey Henry,

Our moderator and gang-leader of the E90, babe has organized a photo-shoot for all the E90 members. It will coincide with this month's meet-up and we will also meet up for brunch.

For more info, go to the Events and Meet-ups folder and look for the 'E90 Photoshoot' thread.

fantastic3;73533 said:
Hi Waynechai,
They have checked my car and told me its the rear axle faulty again. Cant believe
that something they changed 1 month back can be faulty again.Anyway, they called me 3 weeks ago to tell me the parts had arrived and they are arranging a courtesy car for me.

But after 3 weeks they still did not come back to me. I called them up again today
and was told they are still waiting for the availability of the courtesy car and should come back to me in a few days. Once ratified I will post the details here.

By the way I find the auto headlights very sensitive. The lights come on even at 8.30 in the mornings and 5.30 in the evenings . Do you guys have the same problem. Will ask them to adjust the sensitivity when the car goes in this time.

Bro, you are not alone. My car too have this problem and this the third week already and they still haven't call me yet. :furious: Anyway, hows your problem, is it settle?

waynechai;73464 said:
Fantastic3,

Loudness is subjective, or that is what I was told.
I know what sound you are referring to for my E90 has the exact same problem. (I also described it as whistling sound although the tester say it is more like a humming sound. Anybody drives a CVT engine before will be able to relate better as it is so similar)

I own mine for 1.5 months now, and now the sound is loud by my standard, and is a real nuisance.
Brought it into PML today, and they said that's the way with E90. And that the noise is not really that loud. Don't think they will be doing anything abt it as they are also looking into my screeching brake.

Email me at [email protected] Fantastic3, and we can have a discussion among ourselves. Perhaps we can even go down together to PML.
Honestly, whatever the case, I really feel that this kind of noise is unacceptable!

This is exactly the two problems I am having right now! - I bought my e90 6 weeks ago and the whistling noise is driving me nuts!!! :confused: - it seems to happen between 30-45mph and then goes away as the car gets faster. I had 2 BMW dealers look at it and the first one said it was me hearing things!! - I took it into the other one and they sent me out with 2 service technicians and we drove the car around for 30 minutes and they could both hear it but said they had no idea what it was..... and then on top of the whistling noise the brakes start screeching once they have warmed up (usually around 20 minutes into driving it) and then they screech every time I brake. They have replaced the pads with new 'modified' pads which I was told have been produced by BMW to stop this happening (so they know about it then!!) - however, the new modified pads have also started screeching......... Screeching and whistling from a new E90 and they are telling me it isn't covered under warranty!!!!!! - As I write this my car is in the BMW dealer and they are (again) looking into the problems I'm having. I had a 2001 318 for 5 years and I regret the day I traded it in for this........ bring back the 3 series we all know and love............ And as for the run-flats and handling over potholes I'm not even going there!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :furious:

mine sounds like someone blowing over an empty bottle wen i drive past 120..

it comes from the center vents.. bloody irritating.. grrr...

hi guys
my 320ise seems to emit rattling/clicking sound at 2000-2500 rpm when the speed is 60-80kph. couldnt figure it out where the source from...it is running fine when it gets to 3000rpm and above. Wont hear it if I m driving in the city but once u r drivin thru the quiet area the sound is pretty audible...

FNFF;154628 said:
i have the same problem!

Guys

I have spoken to many E90 320i owners and ALL have the same "whistling" issue but with varying degree.

Although I do not have an E90 320i, it seems that the issue is only with the 4-potters and Bro Puny with his E90 325 doesn't seem to have this issue. Alternatively, can try checking with UK owners to see if their 320i is doing the same thing.

Either live with it cos it seems like an E90 320i trait or gather enough "strength" and go to BMW AG or BMW Asia to pressure them to come up with the remedy ASAP. I am not sure whether it's got anything to do with whether our 3er sedan is made in SA. Even Made in Germany BMWs fail as proven time and again through knowing and sharing information with many many owners of different BMW models.

I have an E46 sedan for 3 yrs now and have learnt to live with it's many little imperfections but at the end of the day, the wonderful handling and drive I experience day-to-day still manage to put a smile on my face.

Just sharing how I feel...................

Cheers!

Hi guys,

I started this thread more than one year ago. Till now, my problem is still not completely resolved to my satisfaction.There is still audible whistling noise although its not as loud as compared to previously.

PML changed my rear axle three times despite me telling them it cant be since it has been changed b4. Each time they tell me their german experts test drove it and diagnosed as the rear axle faulty.

Every time after they changed, the noise was gone....but not for long.After couple of weeks ,its back again each time. To be fair, I think my service advisor has been helpful to me so far, trying to fix up courtesy car for me, called up to check everytime I got my car back to see if its resolved etc. Guess that is as much he can do as the technical aspects is not within his capacity. Funny, at that time apparently I was one of the very few that reported this problem so I thought maybe its just me!

After driven two of the courtesy cars tht they gave me,(both e90 320), I think this problem is inherent to all e90 to varying degrees as both the cars have the same identical whistling noise abet in varying loudness.

One thing noted by bro Tobynik that so far only 4 cylinders have got this noise could be interesting. Maybe those with 6 cylinders (323,325,330) owners can give some feedback.
This will help to narrow down the source of this irritating whistling noise.

Actually I have gotten used to it (or shd I say give up with PML) by turning up my ICE but since now that there are so many bros facing the same problem, I think we have a case.

Meanwhile , 6 cylinders e90 owners please give us your valuable feedback so that we can confirm this problem is only inherent in 4 cylinders models. TIA

Giving up is exactly what you should not do ...

Don't give up - pursue the issue relentlessly..... write in, kick up a fuss...

If this is so "common" the last thing that BMW wants is for the matter to be brought into the open ( as in the court or media ) in Singapore - akin to opening a can of worms !!!

It happens to the new 323 too !!!!!!

hi guys
my beemer is ckd malaysia nd regardless where it is manufactured , it seems quite a number of 320i is having this issue in sg. fellow beemers in m'sia in general doesnt seem to have the abnormal noise though

i m going to the Autobavaria tomorrow to have them look at this issue. hopefully, they can pin-point the noise and get it resolved..the noise is getting to my nerve everyday

rgds

Mine has gotten worse...actually, I heard the noise when I test drive, and thought I could live with it...

It is disappointing right? Like the zip of a LV bag making noise....

Imagine the disappoinment?

Hi there,

Haven't noticed any whistling sound from my car thus far. Perhaps we could have a ride in each others' cars to diagnose the problems.

Current annoyance I have is an occassional creaking sound from the rear parcel shelf on hot days due to expansion - lessens somewhat when the car has warmed up.

Cheers,
Alvin.

ehhh... i also did not have any sound problem... or is it i cant hear it...

Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back