How to clean dirtied rims?

Re: How to clean dirtied rims?

I tried the Turtle Wax Sprayed on polish and its not effective at all. WIll be trying out Sonax. Its available at Giant, and according to limmey, sold at Autobacs Ubi as well.

epong;611894 said:
limmey, have you sold your SONAX?
hi epong, yes, limmey has sold his extra bottle....
I also look everywhere for it but cannot find. But collected it from limmey near Novena :D

C3P0;611906 said:
I also look everywhere for it but cannot find. But collected it from limmey near Novena :D

:shoot: hahaha

Sonax Xtreme Wheel/Rim Coating - Myth or Fact?

C3P0;611906 said:

Thanks for replying on my behalf bro :)

I actually went back to Autobacs to get the Sonax Xtreme Wheel/Rim Coating ($25/can). A day before CNY, washed & dried as directed and appied the coating. It's like spraying a coat of lacquer, easy application and just buff to shine. I throughly applied on the front 2, while the back just sprayed sparingly. Mine is a 5-double spoke 19", so used up a 1/4 of the can. Instructions states "good up to 5 washes" (dont know what that means:huhhuh:) but looks great!

After 7 days of moderate driving in no rain except for last night, back rims looks great, front looks dusty. Decided on washing. Back rims were easy, the coating is like a water repellant and with just water, all cleaned like "new" without any fuss. However, the same cannot be said for the front. Tried sponging with water and the grime stuck and smeared all over. Within seconds, the whole sponge was black:yikess:. Took out my "normal grade" rim cleaner and sponge again, same result. Since the sponge was already soiled, i decided on using my fingers! After a good 20 mins of continuous spraying with the cleaner and fingering and digging with my bare hands, managed to transfer most of the snoot from the rims to my fingers:D. A clean new sponge and more cleaner spray, manage to get the rims to 95% cleanliness. This is only for 1 rim!

My conclusion (IMHO), the Sonax Xtreme Wheel/Rim Coating is good if there isnt much brake dust and will last longer in dry weather for a relatively maintainance free option. It definately isn't a "magic" protection coat against excessive brake dust and i personally suspect that it makes cleaning off the dust even harder. I think the best solution is still the age old proven method of getting my hands dirty and washing the rims every 2 or 3 days. And since i have to wash the front, might as well do the back too. So i'ma stop using the Sonax for my wheels:shakehea:

Anyways, this isn't the end of my excursion with this Sonax product. I still have 3/4 left, i'm gonna use it on my metal gate and see how it performs lol!

Cheers

hi! anyone knows what grooming product would be good to maintain rims that are powder coated instead of painted? thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:

limmey, was it the Rims Cleaner you used or the Sonax Xtreme Wheel/Rim Coating as you mentioned? Or both the same?

zeee;612489 said:
hi! anyone knows what grooming product would be good to maintain rims that are powder coated instead of painted? thanks!

Hi Bro, what is powder coated?

XXX;612497 said:
Hi Bro, what is powder coated?

wikipedia explanation: Powder coating - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

or...

What is Powder Coating?

1. Powder Coating is an alternative to conventional wet painting for automotive and other metal parts. It involves a process by which a layer of specially treated solid pigment in the form of a dry powder is applied to a surface. This surface is then heated, undergoing a chemical reaction as its temperature rises. As a result of this chemical reaction, the powder melts and rehardens into a single solid surface, matching the contours of the item to which it is applied. There are many advantages to Powder Coating over typical wet painting. Aside from being cheaper and more ecologically friendly, Powder Coating also creates a much more durable surface far less likely to scratch and chip.

Application of the Powder Coating
2. Before an item can be coated, it must be cleaned and free of any dirt, grease, or oil from the hands. This involves connecting it to an industrial winch and either having the item to be Powder Coated sandblasted or dipped in an acid bath. The surface must then be brushed free of any grit or dried of any remaining moisture. From here the item is connected to a small electrode, imparting a very mild positive electrical charge. The spraying mechanism, similar to a paint gun, is called a Corona Gun. It's a simple air powered device with a hopper containing the powdered pigment in the form of a thermoset polymer. As the powder is fired out the nozzle, the Corona Gun imparts a mild negative electrical charge. This means that the powder and item have opposite charges. These opposite charges will attract one another and the powder will naturally cling to the surface immediately upon contact.

Treatment of the Powder Coating
3. The item covered in powder is then swung over to a large industrial oven. It's fitted inside, making sure to remove the winch chain and electrode, and then baked. The Powder Coating is cooked at 400 degrees Fahrenheit for 10 minutes. During this time, the thermoset polymer which the Powder Coating is made from undergoes a molecular change. It does not just melt and then dry again. It changes at a molecular level, each particle forming molecular bonds with every other surrounding particle to form a single seamless shell surrounding the item. As the polymer is heated, part of it burns, though this is often unseen and creates no noticeable smoke or gas. This burning decreases the number of powder particles, leaving behind a little excess carbon. The remaining particles form bonds with this excess carbon, linking with each other in a lattice-like structure as they do so. The shell is allowed to cool for a few minutes and then removed, complete.

majority of the "popular" local tire/rim shops recommended that the powder coated rims be washed down with mild soap or a neutral detergent, and rinsed off with water, but none mentioned on how to "groom/maintain" the rims...

No difference in maintenance. For powdercoated DPE wheels for instance, my wheels are usually cleaned with mild soap (Mama Lemon) and slightly "greased" with Sonax or recently, I use Zaino Z6 on my wheels......

kenntona;612509 said:
No difference in maintenance. For powdercoated DPE wheels for instance, my wheels are usually cleaned with mild soap (Mama Lemon) and slightly "greased" with Sonax or recently, I use Zaino Z6 on my wheels......

thank you for the feedback...

Thank you zeee for the info. A really good thread on Cleaning Rims

Opssss... just realised I'm the thread starter LOL

epong;612494 said:
limmey, was it the Rims Cleaner you used or the Sonax Xtreme Wheel/Rim Coating as you mentioned? Or both the same?

Sry for creating this confusion...

Sonax Xtreme Wheel Cleaner - Thats the heavy duty cleaner to rid burn on brake dust and grime.
SONAX Xtreme Wheel cleaner full effect :: Tyres, Rims, Rubber :: Products :: Car Care - SONAX - cleaning and polishing like a professional

Sonax Xtreme Wheel Rim Coating Nanopro - Protection coat against dust and dirt
SONAX Xtreme Wheel rim coating NanoPro :: Tyres, Rims, Rubber :: Products :: Car Care - SONAX - cleaning and polishing like a professional
Sonax Rim

BTW, i'm on stock pads, thats why the brake dust is so excessive...

Talking about "Mama Lemon", i use that to clean out the blacken sponge and 'voila'...good as new. I'll be using this to clean my rims from now on :)

Hi All,

I tried using Meguiar's Hot Rims All Wheel Cleaner (available in Giant).....managed to get all the stubborn stains and grime caused by the brake dust....just spray...wait for 30secs anf then rinse. for thorough cleaning i used a toothbrush for those hard to reach places :)
hope this helps

Die, one more wheel cleaner to try :)

another method is to use diesel... That's what Ive been using to clean my bike engine parts an rims... Just fill up in an empty bottle spray and spray the rims.. no need to brush or scrub... then rinse it off with water... easy peasy...

I am driving a stock 335i and the wheels used to get dirty after a few days of washing. I could not find the Sonax so I bought Armorall Wheel Protector. It works like magic, keeping the wheels clean and shiny even after 2 weeks. I bought it at NTUC for more than $17 but discovered that it is cheaper at Shell, at $16.60.

Nothing abrasive should be used. Please use specific wheels and brake dust remover to protect wheel finish

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
k93453632

Latest posts

Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back