How to determine whether engine has oil sludge?

Re: How to determine whether engine has oil sludge?

320i;424127 said:
The first time I discovered that my engine has oil sludge was when the "low oil" indicator was triggered despite sufficient oil in engine. That was about 35000km. PML said that the sludge was caused by unburnt fuel due to "slow speed" driving and the problem will come back if I continue to drive the same way.

My mileage is 72000 now and warranty expiring soon. I am worried that the sludge problem will surface after that.

How can I check whether is there oil sludge in my engine now?

How often do you change your engine oil?
As far as I know slow driving alone does not cause sludge.... its usually a combination of factors.

IMHO, if your Oil Change Interval (OCI) is > 25,000km + your trip is usually over in 10-15 minutes + you hit 25,000km in 1.5 years (therefore oil in engine for 1.5 years) + you use heavy oil (e.g. 10w60)... high chances of sludge.

How to tell if you have sludge? Best thing is to go to a workshop, drain off you engine oil, pull off the oil pan, shine a light up into the engine and see.

The site that Silver linked up is pretty good. If you practice short OCI (max 10,000km) you should be fine.

Another popular site is Car Bibles : The Engine Oil Bible

Of course if you dare to... you can try Auto RX cleaner.... Auto-Rx Engine Cleaner

Good luck

wt_know;424201 said:
ok, will consider this oil change interval (OCI)
must change at 1st 1K ?
1K, 9K, 17K (reset OBC), 25K (reset OBC), go on .....
reset OBC is alternate or every 8K after 17K milleage
thanks !!!
1k: For run-in purpose.
9k: When oil will start to break down
17k: Reset OBC.
25K: No reset.
33k: Reset OBC.

davidtch;424200 said:
No need so many time lah!

At 1k, change d oil. After that, every 8k. 1st 8k, no need to reset OBC. Only d 2nd 1.

Why 8k & not 10k? Because full syn will start to break after 8k.

Huh, so the common practice of changing every 10k is flawed?

abcd;424276 said:

Its good that davistch is specific in the milage for oil change (syn breakdown etc) but all these are guidelines and preference.

Lets say my average annual milage is 25000k I drive normal, each month will be approx. 2083km. To change at 8,000k means its about every 4 months (which is fine). If you change at 10,000k which is another month or so delay your car will not KAPUTT! suddenly on the road.

Same as changing oil more frequently like every 5k, maybe this abit too soon... BUT then again, I know some people and also very anal cousin of mine who changes oil every 5,000k. Not saying that changing at 8,000-10,000k is any worse off than 5,000K.

IMO There are a few factors affecting oil change intervals too if you go into technical specifics, like driving habits & environmental condition/vehicle condition or even product selection like what type of oil and oil filter etc...guidelines are usually for normal driving.

So to keep it simple, everyone has got his/her own preference and reasons.. I would say IMO as a general guide, to keep your car in its best condition in the most economical way the recommended maximum millage till time for an oil change would be between 8,000 -10,000K

5K = too soon, abit wasted
8K = mid point .... i like it :D
10K = borderline

hence, my OCI guideline is firmed as long as the price is not PML premium price and PML is not anal about this normal oil change interval performed outside.

thanks !

abcd;424276 said:

To know what OCI is best for you... do a Used Oil Analysis (UOA)... you will be able to tell how much additives, viscosity improver, detergents are left and how much wear you are having from the particular oil you are using. IMHO, nothing beats having a UOA to determine what OCI is best.

SILVER;424189 said:
Cool, let me know if you need any help. Or drop by my workshop.. I will buy you kopi, don't have to do oil change also can come one! i will still buy you kopi haha just give me a buzz :)

U got workshop? Can PM yr loation, and price for oil change if I bring my filter and extra virgin oil or not?:)

Ahbengdriver;424796 said:
U got workshop? Can PM yr loation, and price for oil change if I bring my filter and extra virgin oil or not?:)

You got PM:)

hi can someone give an indication how much does it cost to do 10k servicing at PML?

oh and btw whats the purpose of reseting the OBC?

Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back