How to get more power

noew

I'm driving a Year 2000 320i. The folks in Munich must have discovered it's underpowered that's why they upgraded the 2 litre engine to a 2.2. Question is: What can we do to improve the power of the car? Mine doesn't accelerate well and seems a little sluggish while overtaking. The current 318 is so much zippier.

Hey Ryan,

I thought some time back, we all chipped in to come up with a fairly standard mod list that can be used EVERYTIME someone comes up and ask
"How to add more power to my car?"
"How to make my car accelerate faster?"
"I want MORE POWER!"
"How to improve the performance of my car?"

Where is it ah???

Arsony
Topaz Blue NOT powerful...

Hi

in line 6 no power as compared to new 318i, wow bro, then my stepronic 1.9l, 4 cylinder lagi worse :shoot: :shoot:

U kana pple tailgate from behind ah :thumbsup:

I'm in for higher power as well. any thread or ..

tks

Re: How to get more power

noew said:
I'm driving a Year 2000 320i. The folks in Munich must have discovered it's underpowered that's why they upgraded the 2 litre engine to a 2.2. Question is: What can we do to improve the power of the car? Mine doesn't accelerate well and seems a little sluggish while overtaking. The current 318 is so much zippier.

Having driven the 2.0L 320i before, i must say that yes the car is a little under power in it's basic stage and indeed the valvetronic is more zippy but then when u come to long haul, the 6 cyc will have it's edge...

If u have got some budget, then i reckon that things like UUC pully, a superchip / hi-op remap together with a cold air intake and remus exhaust should perk up things a little...

My buddy WhiskyTango can prob tell u more how he can consistenetly edge a particular silver 2.2L 320i and got a dyno figure of close to 176hp..... :thumbsup:

Bro!! its 165hp and 211nm.

OK, below is a humble list of mods for above figures.

1) Blitz CAI with proper heat shielding.
2) Additional fan installed, ducting from bumper to ram air into the filter for low end power.
3) Customised Venturi or Ecotek. After few trials, this gadget only helps in the low end up to about 3300rpm. Since crusing is always at about 2k to 2.5k rpm, this will help alot in fuel consumption.
4) Iridium plugs
5) Remus Cat back exhaust. De-cat is all u need to do for the piping system. As I have spent $400 for twin piping and removing center muffler which lost power and torque.
6) With above mods then I went for Customised Superchips.

Perhaps my 17" BBS RC rims also contribute alittle to the figures. They were 7.1kg each. So light rims is a factor.

Only mod I did tat prevented increment of power is my ICE. Think they weigh about 25KG.

You can get more torque and perhaps a few more HP by installing the UUC pulley as well as changing your engine clutch fan to the electric operated type.

Cheers!

thanks for your inputs. any particular workshops that i should visit? what, in your opinion, is most essential to do?

noew said:
thanks for your inputs. any particular workshops that i should visit? what, in your opinion, is most essential to do?

Well... I would think tat u shld draft out a mod plan as a start. This will not only reach ur goal more objectively but also save u money at the end.

Since ur car and my previous ride are of similar model, u can use my list as a guide.

From the list, ranging them from power mod to least power mod.
1) Intake (filter at ur own perference, from S$100 to S$800) and Exhaust (mine was the cat-back remus, LTA certified, S$1100)
2) UUC Pulley, S$400 at BVO
3) Electric Engine Fan, S$??? at Juzz for Cars
4) Minor air intake improvement, S$100 DIY
5) Spark Plugs, S$130

6) ECU tuning. This will give u the most gains from above but is listed here last because only then can ur engine be optimised to perform accordingly.

There are 3 methods of tuning the ECU.
1) Standalone ECU ( one to one replacement of ur stock ECU) - S$5000
2) Piggyback System ( An aftermarket ECU which piggyback onto ur stock ECU ) - Obit , Unichip and/or AFC Select - Price range S$800 to S$1000
3) Flash ECU Method ( Only aftermarket programs replaces ur stock program keeping the stock ECU intack) - Superchip or Hi-Op - Price range S$600 to S$700

Its totally up to you and depending on ur needs. Above are considered just minor mods which is good enuf for day to day street driving.

More power and I mean lots of power can be worked out but like I said... whats ur needs? heh heh...

Lastly, not forgetting the most important thing of the above. BRAKES!! Its a good and a must investment if you have substiantial power and torque increment from stock value.

Cheers!

Whisky_Tango said:
1) Intake (filter at ur own perference, from S$100 to S$800) and Exhaust (mine was the cat-back remus, LTA certified, S$1100)
5) Spark Plugs, S$130

6) ECU tuning. This will give u the most gains from above but is listed here last because only then can ur engine be optimised to perform accordingly.

In your opinion, if I do all of 1-6 on a 2.2L 320, does the resulting power gain warrant/justify the need to upgrade the brakes?

DreamDriver said:
Whisky_Tango said:
5) Spark Plugs, S$130

In your opinion, if I do all of 1-6 on a 2.2L 320, does the resulting power gain warrant/justify the need to upgrade the brakes?

Seriously speaking don't think so.... However it depends on what you want to achieve with your car at the end of the day.

DreamDriver said:
Whisky_Tango said:
5) Spark Plugs, S$130

Ok this is my opinion...

Every car manufacturer has designed and tested their products with latest automotive standards and BMW being one of the most established has considered extra safety margin into their stock brake system.

Ur stock 2.2 acceleration to 100kph should be around 9.5s and top speed at about 220kph.
With item 1to6 mod, lets juz say u gain 20hp and 30nm and the following estimated timing/speed are obtained.

0 - 100 in 9sec and top speed at 235kph, I would still think tat the stock brake system is capable and has allowed for.

Now the tricky part is the driver himself. Is he comfortable with the stopping feel and time?
Some drivers wans tat abrupt feel as this is an assurance to him tat the car can stop or his brakes are really working.

It also depends on the driving style of the driver. If the driver often do last minute braking then I would think a rotor upsize or pads upgrade is a wiser choice.

For tracking events, it is a whole different story. Even juz a 20hp gains a Big Brake Kit upgrade is advisable for better stopping time and reduces brake fades.

So which kind of driver do u best fit in? hehehe...

Piggy can tell u more if you juz wan to upsize stock rotors and Wilson7272 on BBK.

Cheers!

Whisky_Tango said:
Piggy can tell u more if you juz wan to upsize stock rotors and Wilson7272 on BBK.

Cheers!

Sir! Its 2772 lah!! :lol:

I've modded from 1 to 6....(not electric fan but some other mods...)

7. 19" rims from 16"

Stock brakes major sux!! Those who've drove my car with my stock size rotors will know, now with my BBK...... :twisted: just dun follow my braking b4 corners......

'The Great White'

wilman2772 said:

7. 19" rims from 16"

Stock brakes major sux!! Those who've drove my car with my stock size rotors will know, now with my BBK...... :twisted: just dun follow my braking b4 corners......

'The Great White'

Opps... Paiseh bro... :oops:

Hahaha... stock brakes for u sure no good lah... Ur driving so aggressive! :thumbsup:

Whisky_Tango said:
wilman2772 said:

7. 19" rims from 16"

'The Great White'

Opps... Paiseh bro... :oops:

Hahaha... stock brakes for u sure no good lah... Ur driving so aggressive! :thumbsup:

Hehe I agree.. like what Whisky said, it's not just the mods, it's the driver also.. hehe..

Whisky, thanks.. I think my driving doesn't warrant brakes upgrade, yet..

My pleasure Dreamdriver...

If u have not gone for the ADT organised by PML, think its time u sign up bro...

U will learn alot of skills and appreciate a BMW more! :thumbsup:

I recall one event, Time Salom. U weave the car in and out of numerous cones, make a U-Turn and sprint back to a workshop (simulated by 4 cones). This is where u have to stomp the brakes at late braking to a complete stop inside the workshop. Then u know how effective the stock brakes are.

Whisky_Tango said:
My pleasure Dreamdriver...

If u have not gone for the ADT organised by PML, think its time u sign up bro...

U will learn alot of skills and appreciate a BMW more! :thumbsup:

Me went ADT shiok shiok in July 2003 already. :dance:

Now got baby daughter, so no chance to go IDT. :(

DreamDriver said:
Me went ADT shiok shiok in July 2003 already. :dance:

Now got baby daughter, so no chance to go IDT. :(

Me too... I din go for the IDT :(
But my bro Piggy, Shawn have shared with me some techniques for free!! hehehe...

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bhdstar

Latest posts

Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back