How to get more power

Re: How to get more power

noew said:
I'm driving a Year 2000 320i. The folks in Munich must have discovered it's underpowered that's why they upgraded the 2 litre engine to a 2.2. Question is: What can we do to improve the power of the car? Mine doesn't accelerate well and seems a little sluggish while overtaking. The current 318 is so much zippier.

6-cylinder engine at low engine capacity (cc) normally suffers from insufficent torque at low end rpm. This is true for all kind of all motor engine. Ideally, 6-cylinder engine at 2500cc should gives the best driveability.

trogen said:
noew said:
I'm driving a Year 2000 320i. The folks in Munich must have discovered it's underpowered that's why they upgraded the 2 litre engine to a 2.2. Question is: What can we do to improve the power of the car? Mine doesn't accelerate well and seems a little sluggish while overtaking. The current 318 is so much zippier.

6-cylinder engine at low engine capacity (cc) normally suffers from insufficent torque at low end rpm. This is true for all kind of all motor engine. Ideally, 6-cylinder engine at 2500cc should gives the best driveability.

I think 325i also don have a lot of low end torque.... The mid end to high end has got no complain though.... Overtaking still needs to be downshift to get the max power, unlike a 3.0L engine, where the torque is readily available from 2000rpm...

Anyway if i drive the 320i and have the first 1000 bucks, i will do

1. UUC pulley
2. Venturi
3. CAI / Drop In filter

Next 1k i will do

1. Electric fan

If i have 5k, i will do..

1. All the above
2. Remus exhaust
3.Piggyback / Re-Programming
4.voltage stabiliser / grounding / brouquet

If i have 15k, i will dump all of above idea and dump a 3.0L engine keke !!!

If i have 30k, i will still dump all the above except the 3.0L engine and then get a SC and BBK kekekeke !!!!!

Tonight TOTO is 10 million.....

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Now u toking... :thumbsup:

Good luck to us and those who bet for 2nite toto.

Azrielsc said:
So the answer to the topic of getting more power is to STRIKE TOTO!! ;)

Hahahaha!

Ok ok.... Piggy why u OT!! hahaha... me bad

Back to power topic ok?

so how much would it cost to add on a supercharger? what's the likelihood that the LTA guys will find out and throw you in the lockup?

Check out the infinitas SK+ kit at e46fanatics's sponsor's forum. Qutie enticing and affordable. No Intercooler and boost is 5 psi.

For US$3k, the gains ain't a lot... as compared to ASA but the good thing is that it CAN be a DIY kit, which saves heaps on labour, provided u are mechanically inclined! :wavey:

ST.Phase said:
piggyboyz said:
Clap clap clap..... :thumbsup:
hi,do u think a motec went well with a 330ci??

Not too sure about standalone ECU for BMW. So far I have not heard and have any experience with standalone for BMW.

If u are thinking of going tat route, alot of components, especially sensors will have to be changed and added since a standalone can offer lot more features and controls which will give u more gains ultimately.

Having said tat, more problems will arise since there are so many variables to tune unless u can find an experience standalone ECU tuner for BMW.

But wat kind of power are u looking at? If its juz optimizing stock engine with a simple mod list and squeezing out 15 to 20 hp, then its not worth it. Unless you are looking at 100hp gains then its worth using standalone and like u mentioned MoTec.

Above juz my opinion.

noew said:
so how much would it cost to add on a supercharger? what's the likelihood that the LTA guys will find out and throw you in the lockup?

U r looking in the range of S$9k to S$12k. Some comes with intercooler.

Either during standard LTA inspection, TP road block, or maybe someone leak out ur secret.

Lockup?? Is it so serious??

Whisky_Tango said:
noew said:

U r looking in the range of S$9k to S$12k. Some comes with intercooler.

Either during standard LTA inspection, TP road block, or maybe someone leak out ur secret.

Lockup?? Is it so serious??

I saw a red mazda 2 "Brave brave" put what I think is a intercooler... so damn obvious thru the front air dam!

Racebred.... wonder if this was the mazda 2 you met that day... kekeke

:roll:

noew said:

As the old american saying goes... there's no substitute for cubic inch (ie more cc)
Notice that the major tuners like Hartge and Alpina etc always work on either shoe-horning a larger engine in or work on stroker kits... even the honda players etc have stroker kits.
seriously though.. power depends on your requirement.
Blown engines are damn good for short sprints and bursts of power... but they do tend to get out of puff for long distance highway high speed cruising.
Big engines (NA- normally aspirated) tend to loose out on out an out short sprints with similarly rated blown (force induction) engines but they can maintain high speeds for a the longer haul.

So upgrades depend on what is your ultimate goal. For the same money, you could get a force induction kit or a stroker kit.
Chip tuning and all those iddy bits make the car more responsive but don't give you power in a major nor cumulative way... and any upgrade you do will feel "good" until you get used to the power and start wanting more again. How many Evo or WRX friend do you know who complain of lack of power after the euphoria of the initial experiences wear off? Too many probably... haha

I am a advocate of blown engines but a recent experience has made me realised that you can't really have your cake and eat it.
I recently "annoyed" (more like we entertained each other on our way back to Singapore on the N-S highway) a WRX,STI (that's what the badge on the back said; yeah... I was behind him most of the way)
We hit speeds between 160-200+km/h almost from malacca to pagoh.
His acceleration was EXPLOSIVE to say the least... but he had to let the turbos "rest" and that's when my old jalopy E34 reeled him in ;-)
Beauty of it was that we didn't have any hard feelings after the whole thing.. we waved each other off when he pulled into Pagoh rest stop.

So... blown or stroker depends on what you want to do with your car or what sort of driving you do more often. Anything else is just to momentarily "quench your thirst" for more serious power upgrades.

Well said bro.

Arsony said to me "There is no replacement for displacement .... or something like that" and since he is a honest virgin doctor, I believed him and bought a car with a higher cc. I figured that if I was going to spend more money doing some mods here and some mods there just to get more power, I might as well spend the money to get a bigger engine.

If Singapore does not have such a punitive road tax regime, then I think, most of the bros here would have bought cars with bigger engines already.

Sigh, it is really expensive to be a car enthusiast in Singapore. :(

The Mixmaster said:
Well said bro.

Arsony said to me "There is no replacement for displacement .... or something like that" and since he is a honest virgin doctor, I believed him and bought a car with a higher cc. I figured that if I was going to spend more money doing some mods here and some mods there just to get more power, I might as well spend the money to get a bigger engine.

If Singapore does not have such a punitive road tax regime, then I think, most of the bros here would have bought cars with bigger engines already.

Sigh, it is really expensive to be a car enthusiast in Singapore. :(

DJ,

Long time no see!

Yeah.. arsony's famous words... 'There is no replacement for displacement".

But how to pay road tax? can die bleeding boy...

:shock:

Yeah, the road tax thing is a spin; thought that they'll tag it to the car size via "PCU" but they still tax even a car that makes a smaller footprint (albeit with a massive size engine) more than some of the monster SUVs on the road.
It's even worst for us with the COE cars.. the loading of 50% really is crap.
Might as well use the same spin and slap every motorist with a speeding fine as "we can't catch all of you; but you all will speed some time or other".
I don't know how many here remember, but the spin on COE cars is that cars past 10years are prone to bbreak-down hence causing traffic jams which cost the economy $$$... crap crap crap.. yada yada yada. Must be the same clown that proposed banning scrambler motobikes because such bikes cause DAMAGE to roads!!! can u believe that. That was proposed in the height of my dirt biking days when I was in the poly... sometime in 1987 or thereabouts!!

JT said:
Yeah, the road tax thing is a spin; thought that they'll tag it to the car size via "PCU" but they still tax even a car that makes a smaller footprint (albeit with a massive size engine) more than some of the monster SUVs on the road.
It's even worst for us with the COE cars.. the loading of 50% really is crap.
Might as well use the same spin and slap every motorist with a speeding fine as "we can't catch all of you; but you all will speed some time or other".
I don't know how many here remember, but the spin on COE cars is that cars past 10years are prone to bbreak-down hence causing traffic jams which cost the economy $$$... crap crap crap.. yada yada yada. Must be the same clown that proposed banning scrambler motobikes because such bikes cause DAMAGE to roads!!! can u believe that. That was proposed in the height of my dirt biking days when I was in the poly... sometime in 1987 or thereabouts!!
JT, yep... perhaps the public should do another major petition to deal with this road tax thing.

Let's all please make an effort to revert back to this thread's topic.

Cheers.

JT,

Yeah... thats singapore for you.. I can figure out why does higher CC engines necessitate a higher road tax?

Traffic jams? Well.. they should just teach people not to tailgate in peak hour traffic and signal when changing lanes.. maybe there will be less of those moronic CTE jams.. make that daily jams..

Oh must stay on topic (hehe)... yup so it means it is harder to rely on getting higher cc cars in singapore for power. so supercharge!!!

noew said:

The problem with a 2.0 6cyl engine is poor low end torque, not power. M52 320i 2.0 actually has more hp than 318i 2.0. 150bhp vs 143bhp.

This is because 2.0 is too small for a 6cyl to make it efficient. That's why many manufacturers have changed their 6cyl 2.0 to 4 cyl, not just BMW. Other cars are like Mitsui galant, Nissan Cefiro, Toyota Cressida. IMO 6 cyl need to be at least a 2.5.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fun88141
Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back