I need help.. My car power loss 4 more times!

jaskin

Legendary 10 Years
Might be. That happened to my car also. Misfiring. Loss of power with heavy vibrations. I heard a popping sound when I steped on the accelerater also. In my case, I could smell the petrol when I stopped my car. Better send it in ASAP

Re: I need help.. My car power loss 4 more times!

yuen,
if there is a strong petrol smell from the exhaust when the problem occurs, there is a strong likelihood that the ignition system is faulty. one or more cylinders are not firing. and the problem can be either a faulty spark plug cable or spark plug. try to isolate the problem with the set-by-step procedure below:

1. locate the ignition coil (this is not the faulty component since the car will still start and run)
2. locate the spark plug cables
3. disconnect one spark plug cable and start the engine
4. note the presence of the symton
5. reconnect the spark plug cable
6. repeat steps 3 to 5 for each spark plug cable

you can isolate the problematic cable/spark plug pretty quickly with this method. dont know which engine your car has but you will have to remove some engine covers to gain access to the ignition system.

an alternate and more straight way is to replace all the spark plugs as the problem can be due to a faulty spark plug. this is quite cheap too. if the problem persist, then the spark plug cables should be changes but this will be a costlier move.

disclaimer: the above steps, successfully used to diagnose a similar sympton and isolated a faulty spark plug cable, should be carried out at the readers' discretion and the contributor shall not be held responsible for any damage to the readers' vehicle or injury to the readers who are carrying out the procedures.

SMYUEN said:
Yo folks,

Really need some strong minds out there.. My car suffered sudden unexplained power loss with strong engine vibrations 5 times in all today. All the times I had to stop and restart engine. A few times it occured while I was trying to donwshift while in 5th gear (applying throttle in "D" mode), another one I was just cruising along at 50-60kmh.

If I stop the car and rev the engine - its an awful sounding dud-dud-dud-dud-dud.. mis-firing cylinders????

Anybody has a clue??

:verysad: :verysad: :verysad:

SMYUEN said:
Yo folks,

Really need some strong minds out there.. My car suffered sudden unexplained power loss with strong engine vibrations 5 times in all today. All the times I had to stop and restart engine. A few times it occured while I was trying to donwshift while in 5th gear (applying throttle in "D" mode), another one I was just cruising along at 50-60kmh.

If I stop the car and rev the engine - its an awful sounding dud-dud-dud-dud-dud.. mis-firing cylinders????

Anybody has a clue??

Bro

Send in tomorrow 1st thing in the morning at about 8am.

Thsy have to take you in cos the issue cannot wait. Mai Tu Liao....warranty.

Keep us posted, ok?

SMYUEN said:
Yo folks,

Anybody has a clue??

That is your engine misfiring !

The engine misfire for a lot of reason. These days the ECU is so smart that the moment it detcts fault, it will shut the bank of cyclinders, either 1,2,3 or 4,5,6 so u ended up having the engine shuddering...

Go back to PML and they can hook up the diagnoistic to see what component went wrong....

peterlaw said:
yuen,
if there is a strong petrol smell from the exhaust when the problem occurs, there is a strong likelihood that the ignition system is faulty. one or more cylinders are not firing. and the problem can be either a faulty spark plug cable or spark plug. try to isolate the problem with the set-by-step procedure below:

The new ECU on the current batch of car will not allow the injectors will carry on firing the moment the lamda sensor picks it up.. The individual or the whole bank of cycliner will be shutted off leaving only the rest of the cyclinder to work. This is to protect the cat from being killed by all the unburnt petrol.

The rest of the cycliner that is working ok will continue to propel the car but the car will go into the "limp home" mode and u will realised that cruising is still possible but u will never go past 90kph mark....

U can try to shut the car since the car will reset itself everytime before it fires up but if the fault is permanent, then it will be picked up by the ECU again and shuts the injector immediately.....

Question.....

Can we save the pdf files into our PC so that we don have to go online to retrieve it ??

piggyboyz said:
Question.....

Can we save the pdf files into our PC so that we don have to go online to retrieve it ??

Yup. :) Right click and Click on "Save as file.."

SMYUEN,
Time for a rematch with the Kompressor after you get the engine repaired. ;)

it could be the "Fuel Pressure regulator" that's a bit 'sticky'.
i got the same problem a while back, and the car also suffered a loss of power and vibrated.
pml changed a new one 'cos they said the old one was faulty.

Tanzy said:
SMYUEN,
Time for a rematch with the Kompressor after you get the engine repaired. ;)

Haha.. which one is you in the photo?? Or none of them? hahaha :)

Dear good doctor,
None of them! Not in picture.
Good luck with the engine, I hope it's a minor problem.

Tanzy said:
Dear good doctor,
None of them! Not in picture.
Good luck with the engine, I hope it's a minor problem.

Its been sorted out.

Its the OWS iridium spark plugs that I got from BVO. Think one or a few of them went koyak.

And they changed back to the original BMW ones and the cost plus labour, diagnostics and what not is $260!!!!

*fainting*

They say they got no goodwill when it comes to this cos it was my own doing.

!@^#&(@&#^(
:evil:

Btw, pls dont call me good doctor lah.. wah lau.. so "hidden meaning" one... :(

Same thing happen to me b4 in my old ride, Never change after market sparks as the oringinal ones are long life. If u notice the 4 spokes on the OEM against the 1 on the aftermarket iridium. Cost me time and money on it. My advise DONT start at the begining. :p sop

SMYUEN said:
Its been sorted out.

Its the OWS iridium spark plugs that I got from BVO. Think one or a few of them went koyak.

And they changed back to the original BMW ones and the cost plus labour, diagnostics and what not is $260!!!!

*fainting*

They say they got no goodwill when it comes to this cos it was my own doing.

!@^#&(@&#^(
:evil:

Btw, pls dont call me good doctor lah.. wah lau.. so "hidden meaning" one... :(

Hi,

I had exactly the same problem with the OWS plugs. Also set me back $200+ for new plugs/labour at PML. :(

Apparently due to 1st generation OWS plugs, and if you bring back the plugs to BVO, they might change for you 2nd gen ones. But I haven't tried it yet, so don't quote me.

However, I find the engine with the stock plug less smooth and lacking power compared to the Iridiums. What do you think?

DC3,

Hi,

Sigh... real lesson I learnt today. Didnt know about the 2 generations of OWS plugs. Mine is now on "original BMW" NGK spark plugs - honestly, I havent felt any difference leh. In fact, I feel it is pulling smoother now! Unless of course my 6 OWS plugs were all not suitable!

Damn pain man - no rhyme of reasons kenna $265 !!! If you add in the cost of the OWS its another $120!

Sigh...Thats the cost of the ACS tailpipe I am eyeing. Sigh.. sigh... sigh...

coz you never read the forum! hahahaa actually this 1st gen ows spark thing has been discussed b4. they are indeed faulty and you gotta get them changed at bvo. so next time you must read finish all the threads in the forum ah.

Racebred said:
coz you never read the forum! hahahaa actually this 1st gen ows spark thing has been discussed b4. they are indeed faulty and you gotta get them changed at bvo. so next time you must read finish all the threads in the forum ah.

Wah lau... so many threads how to read all!?!?

ok i know. next time before I mod anything I put BIG BIG in forum first.
:thumbsup:

Racebred said:

Any comments on the 2nd generation ones? After the bad experience with the 1st generation plugs, I am hesitant to change the stock plugs back to OWS again. $200+ for nothing is too painful, not to mention a whole day down time for the car at the workshop!

When you buy the OWS spark plugs at BVO, do you need to say that you want the 2nd generation one?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hitclubgripe
Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back