If you are poor, just too bad...

Re: If you are poor, just too bad...

I think we are accustomed to complain about everything.

I already said a LOOOONNNNNGGGGG time ago..

Gahmen should just kah kah charge $25 for off peak and $50 for peak hours for ERP to be effective.

Then u see different complaints.

Then u realise...gahmen can never win. Charge $1 ERP kenna kan, charge $100 also kenna kan

MW said:
Then u realise...gahmen can never win. Charge $1 ERP kenna kan, charge $100 also kenna kan

I always wanna know - what's the next best alternative?

MW;1050422 said:
I already said a LOOOONNNNNGGGGG time ago..

Gahmen should just kah kah charge $25 for off peak and $50 for peak hours for ERP to be effective.

Then u see different complaints.

Then the solution is don't charge lor.

kenntona;1050427 said:
I always wanna know - what's the next best alternative?

I can think of a few for traffic congestion:-

1. increase ERP to super high levels like $50 to $100 as I have said
2. improve MRT and bus services. All take public transport. Fewer cars, more buses
3. Restrict car ownership to ONE person ONE car. Want 2nd car, pay DOUBLE car price, 3rd car TRIPLE car price, cos u rich mah can afford two or more cars
4. Implement "3 Strikes and you are Out" for accidents caused by u and suspend license for 1 year

But tat would mean having to sell my BMW.

CCB GAHMEN!

MW;1050429 said:

2. improve MRT and bus services. All take public transport. Fewer cars, more buses
3. Restrict car ownership to ONE person ONE car. Want 2nd car, pay DOUBLE car price, 3rd car TRIPLE car price, cos u rich mah can afford two or more cars
4. Implement "3 Strikes and you are Out" for accidents caused by u and suspend license for 1 year

CCB GAHMEN!

Recently went to HK and surprisingly the city traffic is not too bad. Then I realised that the carpark charges are outrageously high. Season parking must bid to get a lot. There are also limited carparks too.

If carpark $20 an hour. See who wants to drive to town.

How about a reverse ERP: gahmen pays motorists who are stuck in a jam.

The longer the wait, the bigger the payout. Those who unwittingly turn into an empty road won't get paid. No more reason to complain :thumbsup:

I agree with high costs of USAGE, but not so much as cost of ownership - must give some breathing space for people mah - it's natural for us to aspire to own, but we shouldn't be whacked both right (usage) and left (ownership) mah - otherwise, how to vote wisely in 2016?

Solidgold said:
Recently went to HK and surprisingly the city traffic is not too bad. Then I realised that the carpark charges are outrageously high. Season parking must bid to get a lot. There are also limited carparks too.

If carpark $20 an hour. See who wants to drive to town.

To be fair, HK's MTR is a lot more efficient than SMRT here.

MW said:

CCB GAHMEN!

A bit OT, but I have my suggestions:

1. Charge a progressively higher ERPs on vehicles which spend a longer time on the roads - speed up the road usage

2. Charge a progressively higher ERPs on the second and third cars of the same household on the road as the first. Encourage car pooling within the same family.

3. Fine roadhoggers severely - 6-12 demerit points for roadhoggers

4. Fine heavy and slow vehicles for hogging second and third lanes heavily.

5. Privatise SMRT,SBS and revert back to state-owned companies without a P&L mandate.

6. Redesign the exit/entry points of expressways. Prevent lanes one and two from abrupt braking to filter left to exit - by installing soft dividers (example CTE stretch after Jalan Bahagia). Ensure that the first two lanes are fast moving.

7. Ensure taxis do not "collude" or "supply-squeeze" from oligopolistic behaviour. Penalise taxi drivers who are hiding or who refused to pick up customers. Ensure a minimum time shift + minimum customers/trips for cabbies to ensure supply of taxis on the road. For taxi roadhoggers, see point 3.

look, anything is ok ..just dun tell me need to sell my BMW can liao or affect my FC

kenntona;1050445 said:
A bit OT, but I have my suggestions:

1. Charge a progressively higher ERPs on vehicles which spend a longer time on the roads - speed up the road usage

2. Charge a progressively higher ERPs on the second and third cars of the same household on the road as the first. Encourage car pooling within the same family.

3. Fine roadhoggers severely - 6-12 demerit points for roadhoggers

4. Fine heavy and slow vehicles for hogging second and third lanes heavily.

5. Privatise SMRT,SBS and revert back to state-owned companies without a P&L mandate.

6. Redesign the exit/entry points of expressways. Prevent lanes one and two from abrupt braking to filter left to exit - by installing soft dividers (example CTE stretch after Jalan Bahagia). Ensure that the first two lanes are fast moving.

7. Ensure taxis do not "collude" or "supply-squeeze" from oligopolistic behaviour. Penalise taxi drivers who are hiding or who refused to pick up customers. Ensure a minimum time shift + minimum customers/trips for cabbies to ensure supply of taxis on the road. For taxi roadhoggers, see point 3.

You forgot:

8. Remove ALL speed limits. No speed limits means I get to my destination faster, less road usage time. Also need better tarmac surface, because at 300km/h I need a smooth road to run lion.

The best way is still to reduce the car population by at least 10-20%. ERP can only solve congestion on certain roads at certain timings. Reducing car population can resolve this problem more effectively. Downside is that the cost of car will balloon.

This will be a very unpopular policy, very bad for the ruling party, but good for the road users who can afford cars at higher price. The Government can say they use this higher tax revenue to improve public transport or help the poor though. It depends on how they package it.

Reducing car population is a common sense approach I would think.

weez said:
The best way is still to reduce the car population by at least 10-20%. ERP can only solve congestion on certain roads at certain timings. Reducing car population can resolve this problem more effectively. Downside is that the cost of car will balloon.

This will be a very unpopular policy, very bad for the ruling party, but good for the road users who can afford cars at higher price. The Government can say they use this higher tax revenue to improve public transport or help the poor though. It depends on how they package it.

I thought existing COE prices already non-populist....... if COEs reach $120K, huat ah !!! CCB Garmen !!!

I'm betting COE $200K. And how did we get from housing to cars in 6 pages ah?

weez;1050457 said:

Totally, disagree with your suggestion. It will caused a strain on current public transport system.

1st step, need to improve public transport system. LTA needs to re-plan bus route holistically to ensure that there is redundancy in the bus network. MRT needs to take more time to improve.

Once, public transport system is improved. There must be mandatory minimum number of taxi at round the clock.

To increase ERP charge based on formula below:
3 mth moving average Legal speed minus 10km/h: $10
3 mth moving average Legal speed minus 20km/h: $20
3 mth moving average Legal speed minus 30km/h: $30
3 mth moving average Legal speed minus 40km/h: $40
3 mth moving average Legal speed minus 50km/h or more: $50

davidtch;1050469 said:
To increase ERP charge based on formula below:
3 mth moving average Legal speed minus 10km/h: $10
3 mth moving average Legal speed minus 20km/h: $20
3 mth moving average Legal speed minus 30km/h: $30
3 mth moving average Legal speed minus 40km/h: $40
3 mth moving average Legal speed minus 50km/h or more: $50

What makes you think people will not take public transport if ERP goes up to $50, or even $20? Won't that cause a strain on your public transport system? This is a zero-sum thing, either the roads will be congested or public transport congested. Infrastructure improvement typically will take a long time to effect. If you want smooth roads, someone else has to suffer. Common sense too.

actually even if ERP is $50, the roads will still be congested cos what's $50 to Singaporeans when we spend thousands on mods which does nothing much except look good. I never say jonleeck's red brembo bbk

Red_Bean_Bun;1050479 said:
Go ride motor bike ....... fatboy.

U cannot get personal abt such things. Kenntona will be hurt

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
soi247com