Install Turbo Charger for E46

Phua

Hi bros,

has anyone here install a turbo on E46 2.0 valvatronics before? just want to find out whether if suitable for Garette TD04,05,06 Turbine. Wat is the maximum boost/ horsepower?
Is greddy e-manage suitable for tuning?
Base on compression ratio 10:2.
I planning to fix soon

Re: Install Turbo Charger for E46

10.2:1 compression for your FI engine ?? You intend to run low boost is it ? That is kinda high for a turbo consideration.

Bro 10.2 : 1 seem pretty high for TC. If i m not wrong can boost till .6bar maybe that's about 30 HP. HP gain depend on engine but i guess around there....any bro here can enlighten us

NickyPower said:
Bro 10.2 : 1 seem pretty high for TC. If i m not wrong can boost till .6bar maybe that's about 30 HP. HP gain depend on engine but i guess around there....any bro here can enlighten us

.6 bar just like normal standard TC car... wonder how valvetronic with TC... :yummie:
but, 10.2:1 seem a bit high... how about changing to metal gasket (thicker) ?

Phua, where u will doing it ??? very curious about it... :)

10.2 compression ration can be used for FI but the boost should be limited to 0.8bar max. This boost ceiling is dependent on the charge temperature entering the cylinder. To be safe, 0.5bar is good figure to work with. When dealing with high compression FI, detonation will be a big problem and this manifests itself in 3 ways, first in the incidental ignition caused by hot spots within the cylinder head and spark plug. Second is the faster ignition of the compressed gasses and the third is the compression ignition caused by the 0.6bar of charge pressure being compressed by another 10.2 times.

The first problem can be solved by careful head cleaning and deburring. The second problem can be solved by adding an after market ECU to retard the ignition by a couple of degees. The 3rd problem can only be resolved by a reduction of boost pressures or compression ratios.

So bottom line is 10.2:1 is a workable ratio if you want to go FI.

Cheers to your future mod.

ps: Dun forget to let us see the results.....

There are a few other methods to reduce charge temps which helps to minimize the risk of detonation, e.g. water injection and more efficient intercooling. If higher octane fuel is available, that would help greatly as well.

Well said, Yep, installing an intercooler and other cooling methods will help in reducing charge temps. Better fuel will reduce the chances of compression ignition and causing your spark ignition engine to convert to a "Diesel Engine"....

Haha

I tot diesel engine compression ratio is super high like in the region of 20:1 ??

dear calvin, i was quoted $2K and $7k by two mechanics. 1st one who is a singaporean and have a workshop in jb(pelangi) claim to install turbo for honda civic, fit, lexus es300, and many more. He say he stay in germany for 3 years hence he has experience in doing bmw. 2nd one is a local workshop which call GTR Technologies. They do custom turbocharger for all cars.
Basicly all parts are used tats y $2k exclude ECU and tuning. Turbine cost about $300 to $1K depend on models. Intercooler from $200 to $1k. custom turbo extractor & pipings about $500. ecu $300 to $900. Injectors optional.

Azrielsc said:

Only good for LHD cars bro!! U see how close the headers to the chassic......no place for our RHD steering rack......the turbo is in the way too.....install this & we can't steer our car.... :lol2:

'The Great White'

Go straight fast can liao!! Why need to steer? ;)

No wonder there isn't any TC for RHD bimmers! Right?

tats true,
but base on the some pictures on pg 1 it is able to do it. U can also surf other website in other countries. its proven.
only thing i worry is the compression. dont know will melt the pistons or block or not?

Prevoiusly driving a lancer 1.6 turbo really shiok, still can't stop thinkimg of the feeling. my valvetronic pick up quite lag(underpower)

I drove my friend volvo S60 T5(Garette TD-04 16G) 2.3 250hp auto turbo. power al least X2. The compression is lower, think is 8:1. really addicted to turbo. max torque produce at 3k rpm. N.A i drag until redline also dont have the feeling for me. No offend to anyone.

Thinking of changing to turbo car but mostly no comfort exp: evo or wrx.

Phua said:
dear calvin, i was quoted $2K and $7k by two mechanics. 1st one who is a singaporean and have a workshop in jb(pelangi) claim to install turbo for honda civic, fit, lexus es300, and many more. He say he stay in germany for 3 years hence he has experience in doing bmw. 2nd one is a local workshop which call GTR Technologies. They do custom turbocharger for all cars.
Basicly all parts are used tats y $2k exclude ECU and tuning. Turbine cost about $300 to $1K depend on models. Intercooler from $200 to $1k. custom turbo extractor & pipings about $500. ecu $300 to $900. Injectors optional.

GTR are quite good...but bewarn....they are experimental one. If they have done it before, good for you. If not they will do it for you but like experimental basis.

Good thing is that they are quite innovative. If cannot find the parts, they will customise one for you.

You spoke to Ah Heng ?? Your Lancer who did for you ? George from Autopoint ??

BUt But..do the pistons, cams and all sorts need to be changed?? Internals I mean....

As long as you dun backside itchy and high boost to anything above 0.5 (actually for 10.2:1 I doubt your pistons and gasket can take it at 0.8bar)....you should be ok. Which means your turbo runs outta puff very fast...more like a LPT (Low pressure turbo)

If you want to boost to 1.0bar above, you have to lower the compression ratio to at least 8.1:1. That means thicker gasket and low comp pistons.

If not...just standby a engine ready to exchange lor...turbo is additive...its so easy to get extra power by a little boost....so 0.5 boost 0.6...then 0.7...then 0.8...then a little more and KABOOM !! Engine up lorry liao. Happen to so many NA converted turbo cars.

Phua said:

Thanks for the info Phua.... when u ready to go, let me know. i wanna go see..

With regards to compression, the new Golf GTi is turbocharged with a compression ratio of 11:1.

my lancer previously done in one workshop in auto point. but sohc 1.6 turbo not really that fast because low boost. another friend driving a sohc esi Vtec also lup turbo without extra gasket or other thing. of course at low booost but on par with type R.
somemore yesterday drove my friend S60T5 again.... shiok shiok G-force is really addictive. my fuel comsumption also 8.5km/l same as his. Valvetronics underpower he said, somemore rear wheel drive. I think only lup turbo or SC is the best to counter that.
Anyone as hardcore as me for G-force kindly reach me at 90662767 Phua

does anyone here turbo charging your straight 4 engine? I just bought a TD04 L turbo + some others. Now waiting to do extractor and pipings. Anyone know wat is the highest and safety boost?

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
go88quest

Latest posts

Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back