Is it normal to feel a bit vibration when idling for F30?

Re: Is it normal to feel a bit vibration when idling for F30?

Staranz said:
I do feel slight vibration at the gas paddle when cruising at the said speed. Checked with a friend who has good knowledge of BMW engines and he said it was because the turbo charge kicks in at about 1,500 rpm. So I pay special notice when I drive and found this it is indeed true that the vibrating feel only comes in when the needle reaches the 1,500 rpm.

Huh?

FYI, vibration didn't happen for the E90/E92/E93 N54/N55 blocks, which have the twin turbos / twin-scrolls turbo kicking in at 1500 RPMs too.

Staranz;989724 said:
I do feel slight vibration at the gas paddle when cruising at the said speed. Checked with a friend who has good knowledge of BMW engines and he said it was because the turbo charge kicks in at about 1,500 rpm. So I pay special notice when I drive and found this it is indeed true that the vibrating feel only comes in when the needle reaches the 1,500 rpm.

Agreed with all the forum brothers that the F30 was indeed fun to drive. A Toyota Mark X 2.5L was trying to overtake me at ECP a few times today but did not manage to catch up with my speed at all, although I was barely driving at 2,000 rpm. So proud...:)

wow! happy for u. the last time my old 530 i lost to a mark X. tried as i may.. i cudnt beat him. maybe u r a better driver than me. im a bit scared to accelerate too fast. sometimes i will kalang kaboh n hit the acellerator when i meant to hit the brakes. i was v depressed for a long time. and guess what...cant beat em join em. i m now driving a Mark X.

Staranz;989724 said:

Agreed with all the forum brothers that the F30 was indeed fun to drive. A Toyota Mark X 2.5L was trying to overtake me at ECP a few times today but did not manage to catch up with my speed at all, although I was barely driving at 2,000 rpm. So proud...:)
Like that also very proud. Haiz.

There was a legendary E36 318 overtake Gallardo in a high speed chase le.

Regarding the vibration at idle issue. Was it eventually sorted out? I have a new 320i and I am experiencing this issue. It gets worse when the temperature is low or when it is raining. PML claims it is normal for the F30. However, it feels shockingly unrefined to me. Thanks in advance for any help and advice.

Have the rough idle readings checked by PML ........

scorpiusx;1079584 said:
Regarding the vibration at idle issue. Was it eventually sorted out? I have a new 320i and I am experiencing this issue. It gets worse when the temperature is low or when it is raining. PML claims it is normal for the F30. However, it feels shockingly unrefined to me. Thanks in advance for any help and advice.

Thanks very much. Will do so. The service advisor assigned to me seems quite new. The last time I brought it in, they did a software update. However, the problem still remains. It fact, it seems slightly worse. Which of the PML service centre or advisor would you all recommended? Thanks!

scorpiusx;1079584 said:
It gets worse when the temperature is low or when it is raining.

That's what old people say about... rheumatism.

I drive the f30 316 and going for my 1st servicing in 2 days time.
I am experiencing vibration to my car when idling and the vibration can get pretty bad and this has kept me worried.

But now after going through this thread I think no hope liao... this is very normal.
How come can like that? Even my wife who sits beside me during idle ask me how come my car vibrate until so jia lat.
Its not very strong vibrations but slow and big vibrations. If you put ur feet on the ground you can feel it very obvious.

At first I thought its because of my racing chip that's why I didn't kpkb.
I have since removed the chip cause going in for servicing. Will update everyone here.

Dun think normal. I drove pml's brand new f30 316 and it doesnt anyhow vibrate. It was quiet and refined...

Very disappointing for a BMW right? The PML technicians seems unable to do anything about it. In fact, the technician who attended to me claims all the 1 and 3 Series have this issue. Frankly, I was quite shocked to hear that. He also claims that it will get worse. That is the most worrying part!

Ask PML to read the live data .... hundreds of sensors inside .... it will tell you where the problems is.

Use the live data and interpret it ....... focus on the analog data.

Nonsense. The engine has balance shafts inside, so even if it's IL4 it should be smooth as butter.

Thanks for the tip! Will ask them to do so. Bringing the car next week for them to check. Will keep everyone updated.

Think better to have it check? Should vibrate. Engine mount problem? Does it vibrate more in reverse?

A car with no vibration... is an electric car...

Ask them for the rough idle test .......

That is the test for smoothness .... On the PML system - it is actually called just that - smoothness test.

That test will tell you if the plugs or coils are going ...... Because when it's going .... Car vibrates.

Though it maybe pre-mature for a F30 to have plugs and coils going ....... But it's better to just follow through an organised troubleshooting process then to just say - it's normal.

scorpiusx;1079705 said:
Thanks for the tip! Will ask them to do so. Bringing the car next week for them to check. Will keep everyone updated.

Thanks for all your replies, insights and helpful suggestions. Really grateful to the experts here in the forum.

To the earlier question, yes, it does vibrate more in reverse. Thanks!

don't always believe what the PML technicians say.
half of them are FOS. oh wait. maybe more than half...

Thanks very much for the info. It is deeply appreciated. Will request them to do so.

Red_Bean_Bun;1080162 said:
Ask them for the rough idle test .......

That is the test for smoothness .... On the PML system - it is actually called just that - smoothness test.

That test will tell you if the plugs or coils are going ...... Because when it's going .... Car vibrates.

Though it maybe pre-mature for a F30 to have plugs and coils going ....... But it's better to just follow through an organised troubleshooting process then to just say - it's normal.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ww88network
Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back