K&N air filter better then stock?

Purefate

i went to a workshop recently and asked about K&N air filter over stock air filter in my e60. he said performance wise will increase abit but air filter will get more dirty and somehow make the engine comparment jerk as time goes. is it true?? thx for adivce

Re: K&N air filter better then stock?

what rubbish!

the advantage of K&N is that it is reusable - all you have to do is clean it when it gets dirty (a cleaning kit is available). any reliable workshop will be able to clean it for you too.

stock filters will have to be thrown away and new ones bought to replace it.

and according to the product claims, K&N allows for better airflow too, which in turn will give you more power.

in terms of K&N getting dirty faster, totally baseless...

Hi purefate,

change to K&N ait filter is for better air flow.........

but as for jerky portion i never experienced that before man,... so far i've used K&N...no problem......

cheers

ic, thx for comment guys.. any lobang for where to get cheaper and reliable K&N air filter/cleaner??

almost any reliable workshop. try any of the ones listed in the 'workshops & help' section of this forum.

I used K&N panel filter before. The difference in throttle response is immediately noticeable. But this comes at a price. The ducting after the MAF has a film of dirt on it and soon my throttle body started sticking. Looks like K&N allows very fine particles thru - not enough to damage the engine. But the oil from the filter sticks everywhere along the path of the airflow and dust sticks with it as well. I'm back to paper filter and change them often.

sounds like there's too much oil on the filter after cleaning.

go easy on the oil. just a little bit will do...

jon2367;463296 said:
I used K&N panel filter before. The difference in throttle response is immediately noticeable. But this comes at a price. The ducting after the MAF has a film of dirt on it and soon my throttle body started sticking. Looks like K&N allows very fine particles thru - not enough to damage the engine. But the oil from the filter sticks everywhere along the path of the airflow and dust sticks with it as well. I'm back to paper filter and change them often.

agree with bro jinooi.. it sounds like too much oiling is used on the K&N filter...

Its hard to determine whether its overoiled or not. I only did one pass with the spray then let it sit on crushed newspaper to soak up any excess. In any case the filter is pretty much toast now. At the last change I noticed a puncture in the wire gause, which in turn made a hole in the fabric. Don't know what it was it sucked up.

jon2367;472356 said:
Its hard to determine whether its overoiled or not. I only did one pass with the spray then let it sit on crushed newspaper to soak up any excess. In any case the filter is pretty much toast now. At the last change I noticed a puncture in the wire gause, which in turn made a hole in the fabric. Don't know what it was it sucked up.

wow... a puncture doesn't sounds good ... but i've nvr heard of punctured filter, even for those on paper filter which is much easier to puncture.. time to get it changed bro !

tjy;472647 said:
wow... a puncture doesn't sounds good ... but i've nvr heard of punctured filter, even for those on paper filter which is much easier to puncture.. time to get it changed bro !
I've been back to OEM filters for over 2 years now. I change the filter at every 2 oil changes whether or not its clogged.
Paper is actually more difficult to puncture because the folds are deeper. The folds on the K&N are like straightened out thus making it more vulnerable to high velocity projectiles like a beetle getting sucked in at 5000 rpm.

How often must K&N filter be clean? I cannot figure out how to dismantle the K&N, any recommended workshop does cleaning the filter?

can buy the K&N cleaning kit and clean yourself.. i believe it should be under $30... what type of filter are you using ?? drop in filter or cone type?? if is drop in, it is damnn easy to remove .. or wat u can do is to ask the person to clean it for you during servicing... but some of them actually don't oil it for you. They just use the air jet to spray it clean.. but u will be able to see how they remove it :) ..

I bought the cleaning kit. Reach home happily pop open the bonnet, locate the airbox and start staring at it hard. No idea which screws to loosen.

No idea what is drop-in or cone type, I can't see anything beneath the airbox. I'm driving a E90 320i.

I just change my stock filter to a K&N filter this morning. For E90 320i it is cone type.

Stock filter was very dirty....after changing to K&N I can feel that the engine is more responsive :)

Hon;473087 said:
I bought the cleaning kit. Reach home happily pop open the bonnet, locate the airbox and start staring at it hard. No idea which screws to loosen.

No idea what is drop-in or cone type, I can't see anything beneath the airbox. I'm driving a E90 320i.

tjy;472789 said:
can buy the K&N cleaning kit and clean yourself.. i believe it should be under $30... what type of filter are you using ?? drop in filter or cone type?? if is drop in, it is damnn easy to remove .. or wat u can do is to ask the person to clean it for you during servicing... but some of them actually don't oil it for you. They just use the air jet to spray it clean.. but u will be able to see how they remove it :) ..

if using K&N filter, its not recommended to use the air jet/compressed oil to clean/dry the filter
as it may damaged the cotton fabric of the K&N filter...

K&N Air Filter Cleaning Instructions

dreammaker;473338 said:
I just change my stock filter to a K&N filter this morning. For E90 320i it is cone type.

Stock filter was very dirty....after changing to K&N I can feel that the engine is more responsive :)
How long did you last changed your stock filter?

I don't think it wasn't changed... :oops:

achee;473537 said:
How long did you last changed your stock filter?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
red88gdn

Latest posts

Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back