Kena hit by taxi - no damage ... so do I still claim?

adrian26

Hi everyone - just needed some advice.

This is my first time ever having an accident (after 22 years of driving - 6 of them in BMWs!) so I'm not quite sure what to do about it. Was driving home past Hitachi Tower today and a lady in an MPV emergency braked in front of me. I was about two car lengths behind her and braked, but not too hard since I wasn't travelling fast. Immediately when I braked, I heard screeching tyres behind me so I quickly glanced into my rearview mirror and thought "oh f*ck" ... all this of course happened in a split second and sure enough I see a blue Comfort cab coming towards my ass and sure engouh *bang* ...

To cut a long story short, we exchanged details but to be honest, the knock didn't seem to be too hard and there is no obvious damage to my bumper. The reverse parking sensors still work fine. So do you think I should still lodge a claim?

Re: Kena hit by taxi - no damage ... so do I still claim?

Hi,

I supposed if your bumper is ok then no point to do a claim otherwise it will affect your NCD. Did you bump into the MPV infront? What about the cab? Was anybody hurt? If nobody was hurt and everyone involved in this was ok and you guys decided to each settle your own damages (if there's any) then just move on......

Cheers......

You may want to have the bumper checked before deciding not to claim. There may some non visible damage like clips etc behind the bumper. Bring it to any of the workshops on the resource page to have a check.

Hey thanks guys.

AC323 > well he kissed my ass so his insurance has to pay right? So no effect on my NCB? Please correct me if I'm wrong! Nope no one was hurt though I think his passenger would have been pretty pissed to have to pay for a truncated trip. I didn't hit the MPV as I braked in time. (BTW I seriously think that if the taxi had been a somewhat modern car with ABS, he would not have hit me as the screeching of his locked up tyres went on for what seemed like ages.)

SubZero > Good advice. Will go check it out tomorrow morning. Many thanks.

Hi,

Yes the cab insurance should bare his own damages....having to check your bumper also a good idea from Subzero bro........

Cheers

if they were u, they will sequeeze you dry. for cab, MUST claim them. dont give these hell driver chance.

you have to make a 3rd party claim, not 1st party. 1st party claim will still affect your NCD unless you have a written waiver.

adrian26;427933 said:
Hey thanks guys.

AC323 > well he kissed my ass so his insurance has to pay right? So no effect on my NCB? Please correct me if I'm wrong! Nope no one was hurt though I think his passenger would have been pretty pissed to have to pay for a truncated trip. I didn't hit the MPV as I braked in time. (BTW I seriously think that if the taxi had been a somewhat modern car with ABS, he would not have hit me as the screeching of his locked up tyres went on for what seemed like ages.)

SubZero > Good advice. Will go check it out tomorrow morning. Many thanks.

You should report to your insurance company, whether your car is damaged or not. I have come across the car behind who claimed against the car in front for reversing and banging into him! The cab driver might do the same!

Yes, if he kissed your ass, you won't lose your NCD, unless he claims you reversed and kissed his front!

Sorry for OT. I just collided with a Taxi at Pasir Panjang yesterday. Anyone can tell me what will i be expecting. I'm not sure how to taxi uncle wants to settle this he said he'll call me this morning but I've yet to receive his call. Do i have to pay the Taxi?

MichaelNgYanHan;428065 said:
Sorry for OT. I just collided with a Taxi at Pasir Panjang yesterday. Anyone can tell me what will i be expecting. I'm not sure how to taxi uncle wants to settle this he said he'll call me this morning but I've yet to receive his call. Do i have to pay the Taxi?

First things first, inform your insurance of the accident. this must be done within 1 or 2 working day.
otherwise your insurance will not pay if the taxi claims against you.

Be prepared for the worst if you hit the taxi from behind.
he will claim the following.
1. loss of use
2. loss of income
3. injury
4. damage to his taxi.

all this added up can be up to 20k...maybe more.

listen to what he wants.
if under 1k just pay him and ensure that you get a MOU with his signature that you have paid for the damage and any other claim.

good luck.

adrian26;427933 said:
Hey thanks guys.

Taxis are low cost production cars, so alot of niceties are not included. Brakes are probaly the lowest end.. tyres are narrower then a motorcycle tyres. and you should be happy it is not bald :(

tlkchew;428069 said:
First things first, inform your insurance of the accident. this must be done within 1 or 2 working day.
otherwise your insurance will not pay if the taxi claims against you.

Be prepared for the worst if you hit the taxi from behind.
he will claim the following.
1. loss of use
2. loss of income
3. injury
4. damage to his taxi.

all this added up can be up to 20k...maybe more.

listen to what he wants.
if under 1k just pay him and ensure that you get a MOU with his signature that you have paid for the damage and any other claim.

good luck.

There is no injuries and the taxi can still be driven just that it needed to send to the workshop. The Taxi was hit at the side door, so only side door is damaged.
How should i handle this, will he hammer me a lump sum? should i abid to his demand?
Need help! please

MichaelNgYanHan;428086 said:
There is no injuries and the taxi can still be driven just that it needed to send to the workshop. The Taxi was hit at the side door, so only side door is damaged.
How should i handle this, will he hammer me a lump sum? should i abid to his demand?
Need help! please

Hi,
You have to report to your insurance company within 2 days even you plan to settle outside.

Your NCB will not be effected if you did not claim from your insurance company....Another advantage to get your insurance company in the picture is that even the taxi wants to claim against your through his own workshop, they can't, have to go the authorised workshops for evaluation (total repair costs) so the taxi driver will not CARROT you.

Inform your insurance company and ask them for advice. I am sure they are very experience with this, especially with TAXI....

Hey, no visible sign do not means no damage. I think better to get a Mechanic to check the inside of the bumper. There maybe a big dent inside which you may not be able to see from the outside man.

the law was changed recently
YOU MUST REPORT TO YOUR INSURANCE COMPANY WITHIN 24 HOURS FROM THE ACCIDENT, IRREGARDLESS IF THERE IS ANY DAMAGE OR NOT TO YOUR'S OR THE OTHER PARTY'S VEHICEL!!! ELSE, THE INSURER HAS THE RIGHT NOT TO PAY!!!

especially if the other vehicle is a Taxi, you die die better report, as they are required to make a claim against you even if they are at fault... i think it's the taxi company's policy...remember, taxi drivers don't own the taxis, the taxis company do.
the thing with taxi is such that in an accident, if the claim is unsuccessful, the taxi driver will compensate the company. taxi company's will need to keep their claims as low as possible, so as not to affect their insurance premium..

so, don't play play if you are involved in an accident with another taxi

for reference ---- http://www.gia.org.sg/pdfs/Industry/Motor/MCF_FAQs.pdf

http://www.gia.org.sg/pdfs/Industry/Motor/Final Poster_Decal_Flyer_9 May 08.pdf

stevenwu;428134 said:
Hi,
You have to report to your insurance company within 2 days even you plan to settle outside.

Your NCB will not be effected if you did not claim from your insurance company....Another advantage to get your insurance company in the picture is that even the taxi wants to claim against your through his own workshop, they can't, have to go the authorised workshops for evaluation (total repair costs) so the taxi driver will not CARROT you.

Inform your insurance company and ask them for advice. I am sure they are very experience with this, especially with TAXI....

actually, he can go any workshop he wants. just needed a surveyor to survey.

my fren hit this car, that guy had it repaired and claim was made agst my fren's ins only like 3 mths later! fierce lawyer letter with many many photos.
& his nissan sunny rental was $150 a day!!!

MichaelNgYanHan;428065 said:

Hi Michael,
act quickly whether its yr fault or the other, as nowadays rules has change.
report to insurance, the first thing. No injury, then settle with driver, either personally of of court, or thru insurance.
if u r hit from behind, see a doctor just to make sure u r alright, as yr neck is may kenna whiplash. If hit from behind by taxi, engage a lawyer to prepare to sue.
dont let them take u up suddenly n u end up paying fees or losses.

adrian26;427922 said:
Hi everyone - just needed some advice.

This is my first time ever having an accident (after 22 years of driving - 6 of them in BMWs!) so I'm not quite sure what to do about it. Was driving home past Hitachi Tower today and a lady in an MPV emergency braked in front of me. I was about two car lengths behind her and braked, but not too hard since I wasn't travelling fast. Immediately when I braked, I heard screeching tyres behind me so I quickly glanced into my rearview mirror and thought "oh f*ck" ... all this of course happened in a split second and sure enough I see a blue Comfort cab coming towards my ass and sure engouh *bang* ...

To cut a long story short, we exchanged details but to be honest, the knock didn't seem to be too hard and there is no obvious damage to my bumper. The reverse parking sensors still work fine. So do you think I should still lodge a claim?

hit from back, simple.
report asap to insurance, like I said in abv. n see a Dr if required.
engage a lawyer to prepare to sue. as sometimes these bas%%^d will counter-sue you later.
small damage or big, get it access. I m not sure which recommended BMW workshop is good in this claim, but I wont just sit n wait for things to happen.
:errr:

ya bro. Taxi drivers when come to insurance claim. They're super smart! No need work got $ take. Beware.

niki;1084822 said:
ya bro. Taxi drivers when come to insurance claim. They're super smart! No need work got $ take. Beware.

2 types of people cannot trust. They are taxi drivers n car dealers

Scratch scratch your bumper a bit and report. and spray the whole car. say yr sensor also not working properly. claim taxi big time..

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fc777comph
Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back