Knocking sounds from rear when slow down......

OldMasterQ

Any bro here experience this before? the ride is new......but I am not sure what is the cause, shouldnt be the rims, drove test with PML, they acknowledge the kncking sounds but need to send in the car for further investigation....@!#$%..........

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Knocking sounds from rear when slow down......

To all existing owner of N20 engine sdrive20i Z4 (new variant) owner/ potential owner:

I noticed this sound and I am being irritating by this, i sent back to PML last week after just one week of driving.

PML acknowledged the noise/ sound (well i am not sure should i call it "knocking noise" or "clunking noise, it is like "gong", audible sound), it happen when the car is slowing down.

At first i suspect it can be material failure like brake pad, caliber, stabilizer or even suspension system that resulted the noise but I was told those have no problem, and if i understand correctly what i was told, there is a possibility that the sound arise when changing to low gear (not confirm).

PML still looking into matter (since last Wed), i was told that other cars (same model) were tested and they notice similar noise also.

Just to share my experience.

OldMasterQ;841393 said:
To all existing owner of N20 engine sdrive20i Z4 (new variant) owner/ potential owner:

I noticed this sound and I am being irritating by this, i sent back to PML last week after just one week of driving.

PML acknowledged the noise/ sound (well i am not sure should i call it "knocking noise" or "clunking noise, it is like "gong", audible sound), it happen when the car is slowing down.

At first i suspect it can be material failure like brake pad, caliber, stabilizer or even suspension system that resulted the noise but I was told those have no problem, and if i understand correctly what i was told, there is a possibility that the sound arise when changing to low gear (not confirm).

PML still looking into matter (since last Wed), i was told that other cars (same model) were tested and they notice similar noise also.

\

Knocking sound? I hear knocking sounds on my roof and behind my seat, near the wind deflector. No noise while changing to lower gear though... hmm

cupholders;841430 said:
\

Knocking sound? I hear knocking sounds on my roof and behind my seat, near the wind deflector. No noise while changing to lower gear though... hmm

Good morning Mr Cup.

Yes the sound is from the rear but not from the roof, dont know exactly which part.

OldMasterQ;841446 said:
Good morning Mr Cup.

Yes the sound is from the rear but not from the roof, dont know exactly which part.

Hahah just let PML check lor, they'll give you a tissue box for making you wait for so long.

cupholders;841465 said:
Hahah just let PML check lor, they'll give you a tissue box for making you wait for so long.

i only can comment "if they are able to" or "hope they are able to".

OldMasterQ;841393 said:

with Roof down? also same???

cheeeeeeeeeeers

OldMasterQ;841493 said:
yea same same..............

then see what PML's reply when you get back your ride, confirm is not normal.......( probably suspension....)

cheeeeeeers

Maybe after you get back your ride from PML, they will recommend you change to KW V3.

lololol

cupholders;841559 said:
Maybe after you get back your ride from PML, they will recommend you change to KW V3.

lololol

they said no problem on the suspension system.

Then what are those noises??

Answer: still checking, need tech support from its principal, which is BMW.

OldMasterQ;841592 said:
the said no problem on the suspension system.

Then what are those noise??

Answer: still checking, need tech support from its principal, which is BMW.

as usual monkeys not know wat they doing

somethings never change

my bmw agent in bangkok say they dunt know how to adjust camber.

answer, go outside garage n solve it

BMW only know how to look at diagnostic computer, other than that :huhhuh:

and what if they tell you those noise is the characteristic/ behavior of the car and cannot be rectified? then i am darn stupid to buy a car with those characteristic.

OldMasterQ;841641 said:
and what if they tell you those noise is the characteristic/ behavior of the car and cannot be rectified? then i am darn stupid to buy a car with those characteristic.

well it depends if u can live w it.
agent said to me, dunt know wats wrong. Lol

hello agent. u not know how knows?

i cant live w my problem so am at last stage of the search for solution to my alignment.
camber mounts ordered n awaiting delivery.

if still unsolved after this last effort, gonna sell the Z n get a Cayman S or Boxter

Tts my solution.

at least here i wont lose much on depreciation. but lose big on mods! :furious:

OldMasterQ;841641 said:

I have the same problem but mine is a SD23i (6 speed auto). I posted my problem some time ago under the "All about Z4" thread pg 138 & 139 (sorry don't know how to hyperlink).

I think overall, I have sent in my car 3 to 4 times and each time is a long wait (~ 1 wk) and guess what, after all the checks with BMW Asia and whatever, they told me it's a chracteristic sound of the SD23i from the "free play" when the prop shaft is engaged... because my SD23i is a high torque roadster... I was like HAR? EXCUSE ME? 250NM is high torque?? :wtf: I almost fell off the chair... I ask them my other car has >650NM but why doesn't it have such noise?? they went eerrmmm...

After trying to solve my problems for the Nth time without much success even after replacing the prop shaft, I told them to forget it... I told them the least they can do is to try to insulate the transmission tunnel and whatever so at least I don't get irritated by the "clunk" sound whenever I decelerate or lift my foot off the guess pedal. Bloody...

And after reading your post, this is the best part... they confidently told me the new N20 engined E89s don't have this problem cos they are on the 8 speed auto... :liar:!!!

Anyway, I try to avoid hearing the sound by driving topless whenever conditions permit or blasting music with roof up. It's been exasperating and the only saving grace is the driving dynamics... Will tahan a bit longer before changing ride...

Falken;844916 said:
I have the same problem but mine is a SD23i (6 speed auto). I posted my problem some time ago under the "All about Z4" thread pg 138 & 139 (sorry don't know how to hyperlink).

I think overall, I have sent in my car 3 to 4 times and each time is a long wait (~ 1 wk) and guess what, after all the checks with BMW Asia and whatever, they told me it's a chracteristic sound of the SD23i from the "free play" when the prop shaft is engaged... because my SD23i is a high torque roadster... I was like HAR? EXCUSE ME? 250NM is high torque?? :wtf: I almost fell off the chair... I ask them my other car has >650NM but why doesn't it have such noise?? they went eerrmmm...

After trying to solve my problems for the Nth time without much success even after replacing the prop shaft, I told them to forget it... I told them the least they can do is to try to insulate the transmission tunnel and whatever so at least I don't get irritated by the "clunk" sound whenever I decelerate or lift my foot off the guess pedal. Bloody...

And after reading your post, this is the best part... they confidently told me the new N20 engined E89s don't have this problem cos they are on the 8 speed auto... :liar:!!!

Anyway, I try to avoid hearing the sound by driving topless whenever conditions permit or blasting music with roof up. It's been exasperating and the only saving grace is the driving dynamics... Will tahan a bit longer before changing ride...

i presume then that all bmw m series have this sound too?

sounds like tcss

Falken;844916 said:

They blame on the tolerance sounds from the final drive and they are going to replace it, however, they cant guarantee on the result after the changed.

They also told me that they tested other cars, one customer's car (tested last week, i wonder which customer), demo car and stock from its warehouse. They claimed that all of them produce such sounds.

I have parked my car at its premise for almost 3 weeks, and i am using its courtesy car now, it is a SD23i, i have not heard such sounds so far.

KNN, full of lies ..

When did you purchase your car?

OldMasterQ;845803 said:
They blame on the tolerance sounds from the final drive and they are going to replace it, however, they cant guarantee on the result after the changed.

They also told me that they tested other cars, one customer's car (tested last week, i wonder which customer), demo car and stock from its warehouse. They claimed that all of them produce such sounds.

I have parked my car at its premise for almost 3 weeks, and i am using its courtsy car now, it is a SD23i, i have not heard such sounds so far.

KNN, full of lies ..

When did you purchase your car?

can ask them swap car boh?

After three weeks parked in PML, issue remain UNRESOLVED!!!!

Change this replace that loosen down tighten up test here check there and it REMAIN UNRESOLVED!! NOT EVEN REDUCING THE NOISE.

It is a Lemon Car? answer always NO!

Is it Manufacturer Default? answer always NO!

Is it a Uncommon? answer always NO!

Then why other car dont have such problem? answer always UNABLE TO TELL, NOT SURE"

So what is it??? it is a the characteristic of the Car, operation!

What the Heck, I urge all bros who has the same problem pm me. You may not hear it but if you have, please pm me.

I will pursue this matter.

OldMasterQ;849208 said:
After three weeks parked in PML, issue remain UNRESOLVED!!!!

Change this replace that loosen down tighten up test here check there and it REMAIN UNRESOLVED!! NOT EVEN REDUCING THE NOISE.

It is a Lemon Car? answer always NO!

Is it Manufacturer Default? answer always NO!

Is it a Uncommon? answer always NO!

Then why other car dont have such problem? answer always UNABLE TO TELL, NOT SURE"

So what is it??? it is a the characteristic of the Car, operation!

What the Heck, I urge all bros who has the same problem pm me. You may not hear it but if you have, please pm me.

I will pursue this matter.

Support support

Need to pesevere to get it rite

Gd luck

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
typhu88bid