Lexus - Too Japanese for the Japanese?

PerverTT

I admit to being more than a little surprised when I first found out that the Lexus brand was launched not in Japan, but in export markets like America. And that cars that I thought were Lexuses (Lexi?) were actually sold as Toyotas in the Japanese domestic market.

0319_mz_72lexus.jpg

It turns out that there is a very good reason for Toyota making this strange marketing move. The Japanese themselves need persuasion that Lexus is a viable alternative to German premium cars. Is it another case of snob preference for foreign imports or do Japanese car buyers know something that we don't?

Read here for an interesting article on this subject.

Lexus: Too Japanese for the Japanese

Re: Lexus - Too Japanese for the Japanese?

I think this is a little different. Japanese insist on buying LHD versions of European Marques as a way to be different, even when RHD versions are readily available. It's just part of that mystique. Maybe it is a post colonial mentality.. when they chauffeur their foreign guests around, it is almost always a full spec white Merc (at least S500 or if not, an AMG LHD)

So was Acura, but I think they are bringing the marque back to Japan with the next NSX, just so there will be no more 'Honda' NSX.

I think this is a little different. Japanese insist on buying LHD versions of European Marques as a way to be different, even when RHD versions are readily available. It's just part of that mystique. Maybe it is a post colonial mentality.. when they chauffeur their foreign guests around, it is almost always a full spec white Merc (at least S500 or if not, an AMG LHD)

doggie - The same thought has struck me on previous occasions. Whenever I see a picture of a BMW or Benz in Japan, it usually has its steering wheel on the left hand side, despite Japanese having to drive on the 'proper' side of the road. I agree that it is probably done to allow the driver or owner stand out from the crowd. So much for my earlier notions of Japan being a conformist society. Few other countries would tolerate such blatant disregard for road safety, just to allow the drivers to show off.

Perhaps Toyota should take the cue and start selling Lexuses with the steering wheel on the wrong side of the car. It just might be the trigger to boost sales!

Japanese, like the Germans, respect history. They believe in tradition and a marque's long history, successes and its aura.

The reason why Lexus does so well in the USA is because the Americans do not have any respect at all for the tradition of consumer goods (including cars).

It would be hard for Lexus to gain a foothold in Japan, or Germany. Perhaps more information on what obsessions they do in their Lexus factories will help.

was digging around and came up with this article.

Why do some countries drive on the right and others on the left ?

Japanese people sometimes import left-hand-drive models of cars, whereas the standard Japanese car in Japan is right-hand-drive. This is done purely for prestige. A Mercedes or BMW with the steering wheel on the left is seen as more authentic and carries something of a cachet. It is also more expensive than the right-hand-drive version of the same vehicle.

yup noticed about 2 years ago that lexus was launched in japan. saw their showroom in tokyo, but very quiet. other than for the originality of the design of the car, the value of the prestige of non converted LHD european cars, japanese i've spoken to also treasure the technical aspect of a car originally designed for LHD. for eg, BMW in-line engines have their extractors compromised by the RHD steering column. That's also the reason why those supercharged units running on RHD cars always seem to lose out 20bhp to their american counterparts.

what about older audi dashboards where all the instrumentation is slanted towards the passenger side, and also numerous cars where the handbrake is designed for the passenger to pull. indicator stalks are always on the busy hand side, and in BMW the sports mode for the RHD auto trans requires you to push it further away to you to engage. Wipers wipe the wrong way, fuel caps on the busy side of the road, Mini Clubman 3rd door open into the RHD road, compromised space for your dead pedal against the transmission tunnel, the list goes on.

Now that we have ERP carpark entry, where i dont have to wind down windows to collect tickets, given the choice i'd get a LHD car too if allowed.

With gumlan taxis forever hogging the road, i'm overtaking on the left all the time anyways.

if japanese dont even buy their own lexus why should we buy it ? seems weird to me.

they do buy it.. they buy alot.. they just have different names... Soarer, Windsor, Harrier, Aristo, Altezza, Celsior

Mockngbrd;319807 said:
they do buy it.. they buy alot.. they just have different names... Soarer, Windsor, Harrier, Aristo, Altezza, Celsior

ok i get it,lexus is a rebranded toyota to cheat people to pay more.

i think its more cos Japanese dun mind buying their own domestic Luxury cars even with TOyota brand on em... heck, even the super old Toyota Century is still on sale and going strong there as a luxury limo car
c19647a.jpg

japanese tend to buy their own products.got to do with being patriotic i think.my dad once said even if they die they want a made in japan coffin.

Darth Vader;319812 said:
ok i get it,lexus is a rebranded toyota to cheat people to pay more.
Wah lau where were you when there was a Lexus fanatic in here before trying to prove Lexus is superior over BMW... Should have shown him/her your light saber!!

PerverTT;319035 said:
It turns out that there is a very good reason for Toyota making this strange marketing move. The Japanese themselves need persuasion that Lexus is a viable alternative to German premium cars. Is it another case of snob preference for foreign imports or do Japanese car buyers know something that we don't?

Simple, everyone in japan knows that a Lexus is from Toyota, plus they currently distribute lexus-spec models with toyota badges anyways. On the other hand, over here we still have singaporeans who assume by default that Lexus is from europe!

Just do a random survey amongst your friends and colleagues (especially the younger ones, and more specifically women) about where Lexus is from and there is a good chance you'll get that answer. :)

Bro, sorry your knowledge of Toyota/Lexus is a little back dated. Those models were before Lexus was launched in Japan as a stand-alone brand (from Toyota) almost 3 years ago. The current line-up of L-finesse IS, GS, LS are not available with the Toyota badge.
Was in Tokyo recently. LS were everywhere and usually chauffer-driven.
True, many of my Japanese friends are still in awe of German marques and will definitely choose them over Lexus or Infiniti or Acura if they have the dough. Never mind that the Japanese ones are century ahead in technology vis-a-vis.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
win79bcom

Latest posts

Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back