Living Beyond 100

piggyboyz

Core Group Members
100k that is....

I supposed there r still quite a few E46 and E39 running around and since my car has just gone past 100k of mileage, I tot I share some of my experience with everyone here so that u will not be caught in the same situation as me...

Sometime back, when the meter go past the magical 100k mark, things starts to go wrong and it starts off with the imfamous BMW radiator expansion tank. The thing burst when I attended a wedding in KL and it decided to give up in KLCC. The saving grace was that it fought thru the last phase of it's life cycle and endure thru 3 hours of jam when i was in KL. It finally gave up after sending me safely to KLCC.

After some hectic search for the parts on a saturday night and calling the PML hotline, i managed to grab one off a regular mechanic of mine in KL and the trip was saved. In the midst of installing, he was amazed that we do not change the tank regularly as they will change it every 50k and having seen so many other E46 that burst their tank, I tot that it may be good to let everyone know that it's something not to be ignored especially when u r reaching the magical 100k.

Then when I tot things r settled, the bleeder valve of the top hose decided to gave up and then it's replacing the top hose for the radiator. In the midst of changing it, they found that there is a minute crack on the radiator as well, so, it's top hose together with the top hose. and on further probe, i replace the thermostat as well since it's about time as I head north pretty often and don want another incident..haha... touch wood !!

Well, it then come to the Track day that just passed and as I was planning my trip to Cameron, I join the convoy and on the way up, I was fiddling with the blower position and temperature of the aircon and the hot water diverter valve decided to stop working and was blowing hot air on my entire trip !

Anyway to cut story short, i did some reading on the E46fanatics as well and it seems like some of the items WILL definitely breakdown when it reach the magical number, so i tot i just list them down and for those who r keeping the car, which IMHO, still a joy to drive as a reference and pls add on to it if i have missed out...

I am putting in those which r critical ones that will spoil ur days and get stuck with it and u won't want to be caught with... Things like power window, that we know fails a thousand times, will be left out since the car will still move and get us to the nearest help station..

Cooling System
Expansion tank (80k lifespan apparently)
Radiator (100k)
top hose (80k)
thermostat (100k)
water pump (100k or when overheat occurs)

Fuelling System (at 100k)
charcoal filter
fuel filter
fuel pump

hope this helps....... :)

Re: Living Beyond 100

Alan do a sticky on this when the list is complete please. It's gonna come in handy for many people in time to come.

great post...really appreciate it...though my 318i is hardly used in its 2 years...you'll be surprised at the mileage...

piggyboyz said:

If the above includes the fuel hoses running fuel from the fuel tank at the back to the engine in front, I'd recommend checking and possibly changing them even before 100k. Had this happen to me. Was not funny.

Expansion tank (80k lifespan apparently)
Radiator (100k)
top hose (80k)
thermostat (100k)
water pump (100k or when overheat occurs)

My car broke down because of all the above just last week. Had my car towed back to PML.My car is 2years old but ran a long 80k already. Some parts are still under warrenty but i still have to fork out 300 plus for the rest of the parts and labour. Nice write up piggyboyz. People should have to know this when they buy their car. I only know when my car broke down and scolded those pml idiots. I ask them why i everytime service they never detect the problem then he reply, "usually spoil then we know". haiz..

Oh No!!!!! another 250km for me before i hit the 100.....damn, this is worrying.....:(

Yo, piggyboyz, where did you went for the repairs, why dun you make a list of the costs involved and the workshops involved.....

33 said:
Oh No!!!!! another 250km for me before i hit the 100.....damn, this is worrying.....:(

Yo, piggyboyz, where did you went for the repairs, why dun you make a list of the costs involved and the workshops involved.....

I did the following repair. My mileage now is 117K.
1) Aircon - Total $572.02.
Output stage/switch for fan of heater, A/C blower high setting, A/C blower resistor, A/C belt tensioner c/w bearing
2) Wheel - Total $787.73
Replace front brackets for control arm, rear left mount for McPherson strut/shock aborber, rear wheel bearing
3) Engine - Total $1405.25
Radiator expansion tank thermostat, expansion tank, thermostat with housing & sensor, fan belt, fan belt tensioner c/w bearing, fan belt roller bearing, wiper washer pump, wiper washer pump grommet, radiator top hose, radiator bottom hose, bottom hose temperature sensor, radiator assembly, cylinder rear head connector, expansion tank (2nd time), expansion tank thermostat (2nd time)
4) Battery - Total $180

Please note that before you replace your expansion tank, check if you need to replace your radiator. I did it twice because I was told to replace my radiator not long after replacing my expansion tank (with thermostat).

additions:-
1. idle control valve
2. O2 sensor

seems like the same problems got replicated from the E36...

Good post but wished it came out earlier. Went for Inspection II in December last year. In January the engine overheated outside of Ipoh. The car was recovered to KL and Auto Bavaria attended to it. Changed the expansion tank and radiator. Cost more than RM2500. When I came back to Singapore, I found that they broke one of the radiator fan blades. While changing the fan blade, I was advised to change the upper hose (the plastic has discoloured and also the thermostat assembly as it was leaking. That set me back another $600. Thought that was the end of the story. In May, the water pump siezed and and that was another $600 out of the pocket for the pump and belt.

It is a good advice to have all the parts changed especially if there the cooling system has overheated. A lot of parts were damaged in the process. There should also be some savings in labour and charges as well. My engine coolant was changed 3 times in the process - once in KL, once when they changed the thermostat and another time again when the pump was changed.

Other than the cooling and fuel system are there any other things to watch out for.

For info my ride is a E39 and the mileage was about 80K when the cooling system went kaput.

Thanks to all who have added to the list.... Paiseh I was on course and reply only now...

Actually a lof things are actually pretty affordable but the only problem is that, it happens at the wrong place, at the wrong time so in order to avoid further frustration to the members here, i tot i compile a list so that everyone can benefit from it......

I updated the list and some of the price that I can remember......

Cooling System
Expansion tank (80k lifespan apparently) (OEM is $80 / OE is $160)
Radiator (100k) (OEM i changed was $350 thereabout)
top hose (80k) (Think was ard $50)
thermostat (100k) (Bot at ES, think ard $80)
water pump (100k or when overheat occurs) (Was it $160 ??)
Radiator Fan Clutch Housing (automatic car)

charcoal filter ( this was a while back, think

good tips piggyboyz!
mines at 85k, keeping note nw...
which workshop do you go to change those parts?

Well I did most of my repair at M&Q since it's nearest to my workplace and also, I have know the for 7 years liao. Trusty and econmical workshop for me.

For other more sophiscated job that requires checks by GT1 or DIS, then i will go to J4C. Likewise, they know their work well.

I supposed like some others who go to BVO, they will be equally happy to get the parts replaced there since these few workshops r equally competent on getting the car check and done, especially since E46 and E39 has been around for almost a decade liao..... :)

Good info Alan.

Could I just add that for soft top owners, the roof will creak and rattle and shatter once beyond 50-70,000 km mark..

Anyone got any suggestions how to re-make the roof ? Tighten the joints or something?

I think that remains the bane of all BMW soft-tops... the roof...

SMYUEN said:
Could I just add that for soft top owners, the roof will creak and rattle and shatter once beyond 50-70,000 km mark.. Anyone got any suggestions how to re-make the roof ? Tighten the joints or something? I think that remains the bane of all BMW soft-tops... the roof...
SM, the creaking and rattling seemed very demure in my case, but worse in the Alvin666's case. He claimed it got a lot worse after stiffing the chassis with sways and struts.

kenntona said:
SM, the creaking and rattling seemed very demure in my case, but worse in the Alvin666's case. He claimed it got a lot worse after stiffing the chassis with sways and struts.

yeah.......maybe cabrios are not meant to be too heavily modded i guess...

:>

Great write-up and I was once a E46 driver too until I had gotten all sorts of problems with my ride.... it was reaching 80000km when things started to happen.

Worse of all, when you have someone check it, more and more stuff started to show up and that means $$$. Until someone back-side me and had to replace the bumper and was very sure that I will stick with my ride until it is time to change.

Time was right and SE called me to take my ride and drive a new E90 out... Got snapped with the stuff provided to me
- chrome grills
- chrome windows trimmings
- chrome tailpipe
- replaced rear indicating lights (from the original all red to the half white half red ones)

.... and many many more.

Good for those whose ride is approaching this stage.

how about timing belt, air-con compressor & coil? for jap cars, these break down at around the 5th yr and cost about $500 to change each of them. what would be the mileage/ yr and costs when these break down on a bimmer?

Our car uses timing chain and last forever....

As for the A/C compressor, i think it's depending on luck and it seems to me that the 4 cyclinder is more prone to breakdown. Both item cost around 1k each for replacement..

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hema
Back